Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G.Kirby

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2005
Swansea, South Wales
Don’t you think a 50” screen is a bit excessive for a mobile phone? :D

Attachments

• 50inch iPhone.jpg
    50inch iPhone.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 654

benbow

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
USA
The George Orwell-esque Job's demo story was very creative & funny.

Before I read this thread today I was thinking the next logical step for Apple may be the 30-32" LCD iMac. This could be introduced as early as January MWSF. Guesstimated cost $2700 if the 30" ACD drops to $1700.

A 30 inch display viewed at 0.5 meters is about as intense, in my brief experience as viewing an IMAX movie. There is almost too much peripheral visual stimulation to absorb and still keep up with the central action. So viewing this size screen at 1-2 meters will be easier on the eyes, particualrly with adults over 40. So for a 50" LCD figure around 3 meters viewing distance and reduced resolution to view webpage text.

With wireless keyboards, mice, front row remotes etc. Apple is giving us the option of pushing the display back to a distance of 1-3 meters so that more than one person can watch the media presentations (movies, music, photo albums, YouTube?) in comfort. With iTV some existing HD TVs are usable. With future Apple LCD products you'll get integrated CPUs that allow our beloved Mac features other TV manufacturers are not able to provide.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
With future Apple LCD products you'll get integrated CPUs that allow our beloved Mac features other TV manufacturers are not able to provide.

That would be an iMac, then? ;)

With screens this big it's only a matter of time before Apple go 'Minority Report' and start introducing iGloves or iMitts that you wear to move the cursor around all that juicy real estate.

Seriously, though, if it's a TV then i don't understand the 'unique' factor that Apple always have to have, and if it's a monitor... then where do we put them? :) You'd have to hang one on a wall and have a no-go zone between you and the screen (2, 3 meters?). And that's just for reading small text of PDFs.

I'll believe it when i see it. Or rather, when i see it I won't believe it.

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
All is quiet

There doesn't seem to be much scuttlebutt going on with the iPhone rumors lately. Is this the calm before the storm? Do I NEED a new cell phone? No. Do I want a snazzy new iPhone - oh yeah!!! :D

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
That would be an iMac, then? ;)
Seriously, though, if it's a TV then i don't understand the 'unique' factor that Apple always have to have, and if it's a monitor... then where do we put them? :)

So what's unique about Apple's existing displays?

Apple already makes displays, remember?

Ninja Guidan

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
If Apple are going to release a 50inch display, it is going to be an LCD monitor. There just isn't the market for an Apple TV.

Although if this is true, it will mean Apple is going to introduce streaming of BluRay and HD-DVD movies from your Mac to the iTV. Last time I checked, it was part of the BluRay/HD-DVD spec and the iTV has a HDMI connector.

Guys...I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Dell and HP sell LCD and Plasma displays for television purposes. Why don't you think Apple would do the same thing?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
50"!:eek: bring it on. I'll buy one.
I love the latest Pioneer Elite 50" 1080. The price still high. $6k, $7k. If Apple can manage to come up with a nice HDTV set or hi-res monitor for under $5k, it will sell well.

stanney2001

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
50"

cant see it being plasma as most companies agree its looking like an obselete technology but 50" thats big usually catered for because of the price as a rear projection 50" does exist in lcd but why go for such a small part of the market if your releasing it to stand along itv i work for a sony outlet and 40 tends to be the most popular large size then 26

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Cingular getting into the music download business

Here a quote from a story this morning on Marketplace:
"Cingular is reportedly working with online music services to deliver downloads through its cell phone network. But will trendsetters really turn away from the iPod? Janet Babin reports."

The whole story, though short, is here: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/11/01/AM200611019.html

Wasn't the speculation that the iPhone would be out on Cingular's network first? It strikes me that Apple would not want to be on Cingular's network since we all figured that the iPhone will have iTMS integration. :confused:

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
"Cingular is reportedly working with online music services to deliver downloads through its cell phone network. But will trendsetters really turn away from the iPod? Janet Babin reports."

The whole story, though short, is here: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2006/11/01/AM200611019.html

Wasn't the speculation that the iPhone would be out on Cingular's network first? It strikes me that Apple would not want to be on Cingular's network since we all figured that the iPhone will have iTMS integration. :confused:

Assuming there is an iPhone...

...I don't see one as necessarily precluding the other. There's no reason Cingular needs to prevent access to the iTS, and they can easily set up data plans that are low cost enough that people will buy them, yet profitable enough for Cingular to consider worth having.

I think from Cingular's point of view, they just want to raise more revenue. They don't care if someone buys from Yahoo! or Real, or from Apple. The more the merrier.

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
beyond the 30", I don't think anyone truly gets much benefit out of it for production purposes(especially at home) but accompany this mythological monster with a Bose sound system and you have a mini theater. all i have right now is a macbook anyway...so 23" is my limit. But even the worst of the technophiles must admit that although it's no 30 or one-day 50", its plenty of real estate for basically everything you want to do, not to mention a hell of a lot cheaper. i may one day fiddle with a high quality projector and see if i can mimic this effect at all. :D

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY

The iPhone MUST integrate with itunes....if it doesn't id like to see how people get their music off their library into the phone. But I think it will be, since that would be like apple suddenly only making ipods compatible with SonicStage. oh wouldnt that be a slap in the face

PerfectlyFlawed

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2006
I've always thought the 30in was enormous and the biggest you'd need for computer needs, for computer monitor needs I'd stop at the 30, 50 is going overboard unless its for TV but other wise I see no use for it.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Huh? Plasmas dominate the market above 42". It is extremely (prohibitively) expensive to make large LCD screens. LCD screens don't handle fast paced motion (crucial for sports and movies) nearly as well as plasmas (because of slower refresh, LCD becomes blurry where image is changing rapidly), and plasma screens are rated to last around 62,000 hours before burn-in problems. Do some research.

Ok, so maybe they will ship a Sony Wega rear projection 50" (or larger) with an Apple logo ;)

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
Huh? Plasmas dominate the market above 42". It is extremely (prohibitively) expensive to make large LCD screens. LCD screens don't handle fast paced motion (crucial for sports and movies) nearly as well as plasmas (because of slower refresh, LCD becomes blurry where image is changing rapidly), and plasma screens are rated to last around 62,000 hours before burn-in problems. Do some research.

Oops, I totally missed this post until I saw someone else reply to it.

You've got no idea what you're talking about.
Did you post this 2 years ago or is that the last time you looked at large LCDs and Plasmas.

LCDs are cheaper and their stats are rapidly approaching or surpassing plasma in every way except thermals[power] and burn-in where they absolutely destroy Plasma. The low cost 47inch LCD we purchased for our kiosk had a refresh of around 5ms and it played movies just fine. The contrast was also aroud 5K-1.. which is lower then Plasma but you're getting into the rarified upper reaches of where most people will never notice above 5K-1. In short, it was a monster for $2,500 and it looked beautiful. I'd never waste the money on Plasma given the quality of today's LCDs. Plasma will be dead in 2 years. Just go to some place like Crutchfield and search for flat TVs. Look at the count of LCDs to Plasma.. there are like 4x as many LCD models as Plasma these days from any given high end vendor.

Also.. that 62,000 hour rating isn't for burn-in.. it's the expected LIFE of a plasma monitor. That means, the vendor doesn't expect it to work at all after that point. Of course, I've got Server Grade SATA drives with 700,000 Hour MTBF ratings that die after 3 months in a chilled server room so take 62,000 for what it's really worth.

On a different point, I do think another poster had a good point about brand recognition. Apple is a house hold name. People who still won't buy a Macintosh own iPods now and they love them. Apple could make a truely bitchin LCD TV and it would put them in every electronics store (if they were smart about marketing it).

Here's another thought.. I have thought for a while that I'd love a big TV that had a mac built in.. sort of like an iMac for the living room. It makes sense, internet, games, Tivo-like functions, movies, pictures, music.. It really would be the ultimate convergence device. I think I'd have to buy one.
.. here's what just occurred to me. Apple doesn't need to tack $1000 worth of computer onto the LCD. Apple can simply integrate the iTV do-hicky into one. It'd be a brilliant marketing twist because it's relatively cheap to add to a large LCD, it adds value to the product, and it's really only useful if you've got a Real Macintosh in the home office. It also works out since you can upgrade your existing LCD/Plasma to the same technology with the stand alone unit.. if they'd ever release the damn thing.

ffakr

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006

Macsimumnews posted a questionable rumor that the iPhone (2 models) and a 50" Apple Monitor would be arriving in early 2007.

The 50" Monitor is said to be on target alongside the iTV. Rumors of a 50" Apple Plasma triggered much discussion a year ago.

50 inches? Please. Steve called me and told me it was going to be 150 inches! Super Secret Apple Rumors thinks so as well! Did you hear the new iPhone was going to be a 10 pounder with a 20 inch screen!?!?! :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.