Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Hey all, I've got a iPhone SE (original). It's been generally a decent phone, but the battery life tanks in colder or cooler weather. Example I will go run an errand in my car, with battery at 100% get to the location/store, and the battery will be at 1%. The cold just zapps the battery. I live in a colder climate country.

I'm thinking to replace this phone with something new as probably the battery is toast and well it's time. But my concern is with colder climate or coolness if the new phone will still be impacted. I also ride a motorcycle typically with the phone in my pocket but that doesn't seem to keep the battery from being killed. When I notice it I put it in a bike pouch on a charger for the rest of the ride.

Alternatively I could somehow replace just the battery?

Thoughts, experiences?

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
At this point, it would be best to buy a new phone, considering the SE1 is surprisingly approaching its 8th anniversary (over 7 years old). Maybe the SE3 would be a good choice? It's still relatively new, just released last year.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
At this point, it would be best to buy a new phone, considering the SE1 is surprisingly approaching its 8th anniversary (over 7 years old). Maybe the SE3 would be a good choice? It's still relatively new, just released last year.
Yeah I wasn't expecting to have this phone this long, just happened.

Good suggestion on the SE2 but I hate that style phone with the rounded edges. I like the current gen phones with the flat edges, similar to the 5S & SE, glad they brought that design back.

Either way still concerned about cold and the battery on a new phone.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
it'll be fine. cold weather does have an impact on battery capacity, but it is temporary, and conditional on the battery itself reaching below 32 fahrenheit.

Reactions: jezbd1997

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Yeah I wasn't expecting to have this phone this long, just happened.

Good suggestion on the SE2 but I hate that style phone with the rounded edges. I like the current gen phones with the flat edges, similar to the 5S & SE, glad they brought that design back.

Either way still concerned about cold and the battery on a new phone.
In that case, maybe a 13-series phone would do the trick. I recommend the 13 Pro, but you could go for the standard 13 (cheaper, but with an A14 and mildly worse cameras) or the 13 mini (same chip, smaller and also mildly worse cameras, but worse battery life)

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Have you ever replaced the battery? The phone is quite old and if the battery is worn down, then I can see the drain happen with cold weather. If you did replace the battery and it's in good health, then no way it will drain that fast in regular cold weather.

You can check the battery health in Settings->Battery->Battery Health & Charging.

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
There is a reason they make battery heaters for larger batteries

If it’s taking that much of a hit I’d replace the battery, unless you want a different phone

This is the FAA approved battery test, though it’s for a iPad

“Batteries in xxxx devices are not replaceable and require no maintenance. There is no recommended battery replacement interval nor are there recommended charging procedures.

Flight crews shall report any device that does not properly charge or discharge. Any reported device will undergo at lease full charge/discharge cycles utilizing the testing procedure below. If the unit does not satisfactorily test it will be sent to the manufacturer for repair or replaced.

Each device serving as an EFB will undergo routine battery testing every 12 months using the following procedure

Device configuration will be as follows:

Battery fully charged

Airplane mode: On

Wi-Fi: Off

Cellular Data: Off

Bluetooth: Off

Brightness: Maximum (unit's screen illuminated for duration of test)

Auto Lock: Off

Ambient temperature between 70 - 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

• When the test is ready to begin the unit will be unplugged from its charging source and the time noted. Time will be noted again when the unit discharges to 50%.
    Any unit discharging from 100% to 50% in under three hours will be sent to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.
  • Results will be tracked by the EFB Program Manager.”

Last edited:
Reactions: orionquest

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
An aged battery will suffer from capacity issues, which is why you're seeing the % drop. Furthermore, an aged battery has high internal resistance, meaning energy can't be delivered quickly, resulting in unexpected shut downs.

Cold temps further decrease capacity and increase resistance.

In short, get the battery replaced or a new phone. A good battery doesn't have this problem.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Have you ever replaced the battery? The phone is quite old and if the battery is worn down, then I can see the drain happen with cold weather. If you did replace the battery and it's in good health, then no way it will drain that fast in regular cold weather.

You can check the battery health in Settings->Battery->Battery Health & Charging.
No I haven't I was wondering if I should consider it before jumping onto a new phone. I'll have to see what it would cost and or if it's something I can do myself, or need a third party.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
An aged battery will suffer from capacity issues, which is why you're seeing the % drop. Furthermore, an aged battery has high internal resistance, meaning energy can't be delivered quickly, resulting in unexpected shut downs.

Cold temps further decrease capacity and increase resistance.

In short, get the battery replaced or a new phone. A good battery doesn't have this problem.
Thanks for the feedback. This aligns with what I am seeing. Honestly I didn't realise how old this phone was until it was pointed out in the thread, as I've just been "dealing" with it.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
I just looked online at Amazon and you can by a replacement kit, battery + tools for like $30

iFixit has a guide as well

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
I just looked online at Amazon and you can by a replacement kit, battery + tools for like $30

iFixit has a guide as well

Though dated, I have used ifixit before and was very happy with them

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
There is a reason they make battery heaters for larger batteries

If it’s taking that much of a hit I’d replace the battery, unless you want a different phone

This is the FAA approved battery test, though it’s for a iPad

“Batteries in xxxx devices are not replaceable and require no maintenance. There is no recommended battery replacement interval nor are there recommended charging procedures.

Flight crews shall report any device that does not properly charge or discharge. Any reported device will undergo at lease full charge/discharge cycles utilizing the testing procedure below. If the unit does not satisfactorily test it will be sent to the manufacturer for repair or replaced.

Each device serving as an EFB will undergo routine battery testing every 12 months using the following procedure

Device configuration will be as follows:

Battery fully charged

Airplane mode: On

Wi-Fi: Off

Cellular Data: Off

Bluetooth: Off

Brightness: Maximum (unit's screen illuminated for duration of test)

Auto Lock: Off

Ambient temperature between 70 - 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

• When the test is ready to begin the unit will be unplugged from its charging source and the time noted. Time will be noted again when the unit discharges to 50%.
    Any unit discharging from 100% to 50% in under three hours will be sent to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.
  • Results will be tracked by the EFB Program Manager.”
Thanks for the info.

Yeah I'm still internalzing what I should do. For the most part the phone does what I need of it. But it's kinda long in the tooth. So something new might be an over all a better option. Who knows I might do both, new phone, and replace the battery. I typically use the previous model as a travel phone.

Saw your other post about iFixit, they are a good source. I've used them to help replace SSD's in older laptops with good results.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
How cold is this weather? The battery will deplete at an elevated speed if it's cold enough but it will only drop to 0 that quickly in fairly extreme temperatures or with a weak battery.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
How cold is this weather? The battery will deplete at an elevated speed if it's cold enough but it will only drop to 0 that quickly in fairly extreme temperatures or with a weak battery.
Curently the average is 8 - 10 degrees, winter is finally winding down. But it doesn't take much more cooler weather then this to really impact the battery.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
BTW When I go under Battery and Battery Health, Maximum Capacity reports 89%
But below that Peak Performance as a warning about unexpected shutdown. 🤷‍♂️

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Get a new battery for the SE if it’s in decent condition and has enough storage for your needs.
Still using one as a secondary/ work phone which was only opened earlier this year so it’s practically a brand new phone and the battery is holding up to anything I throw at it app wise.

Reactions: orionquest and Vref

Vref

Suspended
Feb 16, 2023
DHP
Sure it does, but it's not instant on heat, and when I do errands everything is close by so a short trip, heat it just getting to the right temp. Bike has no heat.
Get a remote start

If it’s that cold you’d be helping more expensive things that a iPhone SE

dan98

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2013
The batteries are only good for 3-4 years before they start to behave unreliably. I've never had problems in freezing temperatures but I do replace the battery fairly often.

They are great phones - think twice before you get sucked in to the marketing and fork out 100s for something that does nothing more than your SE1.

If you replace the battery, and ideally do a full erase and reset, it'll run like new again and be good for a few more years.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
The batteries are only good for 3-4 years before they start to behave unreliably. I've never had problems in freezing temperatures but I do replace the battery fairly often.

They are great phones - think twice before you get sucked in to the marketing and fork out 100s for something that does nothing more than your SE1.

If you replace the battery, and ideally do a full erase and reset, it'll run like new again and be good for a few more years.
I know, probably why I have had the phone this long it does what I need and well new marketing features add up to squat.

But a more vibrant screen, a better camera, and more storage would be nice.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Ok so I might be getting closer to just buying a new phone. Today I was out with friends and took some photos with my friends iPhone 14. The screen was amazing. We were out in bright light and it was still clearly visible. Mine on the other hand not so much. 🤔🤔

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Ok so I might be getting closer to just buying a new phone. Today I was out with friends and took some photos with my friends iPhone 14. The screen was amazing. We were out in bright light and it was still clearly visible. Mine on the other hand not so much. 🤔🤔
Try the iPhone 12 mini or 13 mini. Great phone. Size is really ideal, battery will be better than the se. Camera is great 99% as good as the 14 pro. I have all three models and it’s really hard to tell the difference with the pictures.

The 13mini has a brighter screen than the 12. 14 pro had the best screen of them all. I still miss my mini… but like my 14 pro.

orionquest

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Hey all, bit of an update.

I decided to treat myself to a new iphone instead of trying to replace the battery.
I may replace the batter in the SE anyway and keep as a second phone.

At first I wanted the iPhone 13 - 256, it seemed the sweet spot for me in terms price and features. But I soon realized that size phone wouldn't work with my motorcycle and where I would store it. Took at second look at the 13 mini and it was the perfect size, and the price was better.

It's a nice update, the screen is great, it's quick, and finally a battery which lasts almost the entire day and doesn't die when using certain apps.

Though I do miss having a actual button. I think the UI experience was better with the button, it was faster and there is none of this weirdness with the UI doing something different then you intended. I've had the home screen customize interface appear so many times when I just wanted to open the phone to look at something. :rolleyes:

We'll have to see how this phone holds up in the colder weather those, for now it's good.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.