Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opinions on Mini price

• Too high - should be $599 or less

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Too high - should be $650

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Priced appropriately.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Too low - Should be $750

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too Low - Should be $799 or more

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
I've read two different news stories that said that the mini isn't selling as high as other phones (only 5%-8% of total sales from carriers/others).

Did Apple predict these comparatively low sales and price the mini high to accommodate the low sales to only the fans who wanted a small phone? Thus, allowing for a $130 increase to the 6.1" line?

or something else? Was the $730 price just a result of OLED and Qualcomm?

secondary question: is the mini selling poorly because Apple stupidly priced it $330 more than the SE, and the SE is cannibalizing sales of small phone?

tertiary question: did Apple know the Mini would sell less, and only released it for the fans of small phones, AND priced it so they could bump up the price of the 6.1"?

anyways, curious how you feel about the price on mini and it's "low" sales comparatively.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
The mini should have been $650 or $599. It's a travesty that any 6.1" phone fan got shafted for having to pay $130 more this year for the 12.

Reactions: MartyvH

RRC

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2020
Mini is priced where it should be for the specification, in comparison to the other devices.

Reactions: seezar

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
It’s not the price that is affecting sales. Not many people actually want a tiny device. There’s a very loud but small group of people that are so fanatic about a small phone.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Of course I would prefer the price to be lower but for everything you’re getting (even over the standard 11) the phone is appropriately priced in my opinion. Ideally $649USD as that is in line with the 6/6s/7 launch prices but still for a 5G phone with MMWave and Apple’s amazing OLED display $699 is way cheaper than the OLED phones were last year. I think if the 128GB version was $699 that would be about perfect. Just my opinion and like I said cheaper is always better but balancing technology and given the givens of capitalism (to drive profit) I think it’s ok.

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
I did pay more for the Mini than I did for my 128g 6S, but I got a deal from a private seller new in the box for much less than retail on the 6S. On that basis, good value for my full priced 128 launch day Mini.

Reactions: JM

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
The Mini will cost me $0 + sales tax, so I think it’s priced perfectly. :cool:

• Haha

ukms

macrumors demi-god
Apr 21, 2015
Dubai, UAE
The mini should have been $650 or $599. It's a travesty that any 6.1" phone fan got shafted for having to pay $130 more this year for the 12.

You are asking posters to explain their opinion but you haven’t explained yours ? ..... you say it ‘should‘ have been $650 or $599 but you don’t explain why other than what appears to be a random price plucked out of thin air.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
The only problem I have is two price points. $699 from carriers but $729 from Apple. It’s like Apple wanted in on the activation/upgrade fee that carriers charge. In the past you could buy it from Apple and avoid the activation/upgrade fee, but now Apple wants it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If it started at 128gb, I would’ve said it was fairly priced.

64gb as a base capacity is comical in 2020.
Why? I a lot of people don’t install any third party apps nor do they store a lot of music or video on their phone. They primarily use the phone as a phone with a little web searching. Active MacRumors members who spend a lot of time on the phone forums are the exception, in my opinion.

Reactions: JM and bobby68

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Why? I a lot of people don’t install any third party apps nor do they store a lot of music or video on their phone. They primarily use the phone as a phone with a little web searching. Active MacRumors members who spend a lot of time on the phone forums are the exception, in my opinion.

You’re making so many assumptions here.

Even the most average joe takes tons of photos & videos of their family, dog, friend, etc. All he has to do is stick to the default 4K video recording and that storage is going to fill up. Fast.

also, how can you even plausibly say that most regular, non-tech enthusiast users don’t store most of their photos on their phones. If anything, that’s almost always the opposite of what happens.

Sure, they aren’t power users, but you’re acting like they don’t even use their phones at all lol. 64gb is a pittance considering the default quality of photos & videos in 2020.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You’re making so many assumptions here.

Even the most average joe takes tons of photos & videos of their family, dog, friend, etc. All he has to do is stick to the default 4K video recording and that storage is going to fill up. Fast.

also, how can you even plausibly say that most regular, non-tech enthusiast users don’t store most of their photos on their phones. If anything, that’s almost always the opposite of what happens.

Sure, they aren’t power users, but you’re acting like they don’t even use their phones at all lol. 64gb is a pittance considering the default quality of photos & videos in 2020.
I don’t think I am making wild assumptions. I am saying that a lot of people use their iPhone and 64GB works well for them. If you can’t use 64GB, fine you have larger available. It shouldn’t be a big deal to you or anyone else, that Apple still sells 64GB a lot people still buy 64GB because that is all they need.

Reactions: JM and bobby68

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017
It is the lowest selling in the 12 family? I remember reading articles predicting they will be top sellers.

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
I don’t think I am making wild assumptions. I am saying that a lot of people use their iPhone and 64GB works well for them. If you can’t use 64GB, fine you have larger available. It shouldn’t be a big deal to you or anyone else, that Apple still sells 64GB a lot people still buy 64GB because that is all they need.

that’s not the point of the thread though. We’re not talking about availability or options here.

The question was if the Mini is fairly priced in its current configuration, considering the smartphone industry and general technological requirements/needs of people in 2020.

There is no reason for Apple to offer a storage option (at this specific price point) that is rightfully passé when the entire industry has moved on. That, in my opinion, is what undercuts its value proposition to us, the consumer, making it a bit overpriced.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
It is the lowest selling in the 12 family? I remember reading articles predicting they will be top sellers.
There is no way to realistically know this as fact, as Apple do not release their phones sales figures. Also it was released weeks after the 6.1 models, so by logic will not have sold as many units. But i have to admit since lockdown ended in England, i have not seen a single iphone 12 mini in public.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.