Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opinions on Mini price

• Too high - should be $599 or less

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Too high - should be $650

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Priced appropriately.

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Too low - Should be $750

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too Low - Should be $799 or more

Votes: 3 5.0%

• Total voters

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
But i have to admit since lockdown ended in England, i have not seen a single iphone 12 mini in public.
How do you identify any iPhone 12 model, most of which are in cases and glimpsed only for a few seconds?

• Haha
Reactions: JM

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
You’re making so many assumptions here.

Even the most average joe takes tons of photos & videos of their family, dog, friend, etc. All he has to do is stick to the default 4K video recording and that storage is going to fill up. Fast.

also, how can you even plausibly say that most regular, non-tech enthusiast users don’t store most of their photos on their phones. If anything, that’s almost always the opposite of what happens.

Sure, they aren’t power users, but you’re acting like they don’t even use their phones at all lol. 64gb is a pittance considering the default quality of photos & videos in 2020.
Couldn't the same be said, that you are making assumptions? What if they optimize their photo library and send to the cloud and pay for 200GB cloud storage? The default is 1080P @ 30FPS.

With your logic, 128 is laughable and 256 should be minimum or maybe 512 should be the lowest available? Isn't storage needs subjective?

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
The price and features are perfect. The base 64gb is still acceptable and MUCH better than 16gb 6s!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
The price and features are perfect. The base 64gb is still acceptable and MUCH better than 16gb 6s!!!!!
or even the 32 GB, which I've lived with for the last four years.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
Of course I would prefer the price to be lower but for everything you’re getting (even over the standard 11) the phone is appropriately priced in my opinion. Ideally $649USD as that is in line with the 6/6s/7 launch prices but still for a 5G phone with MMWave and Apple’s amazing OLED display $699 is way cheaper than the OLED phones were last year. I think if the 128GB version was $699 that would be about perfect. Just my opinion and like I said cheaper is always better but balancing technology and given the givens of capitalism (to drive profit) I think it’s ok.
Yes, if we compare the 12mini to the 6,7,8 and what price they released at ($650), then the mini makes sense at $699... Heck even a bargain!!!

The kicker for me is when you compare it to the 11 from last year and you see that the mini is the same price as a 6.1" screen phone with the same two camera setup (release day specs all being the same). It's hard to say the mini is priced appropriately when you compare it to what you got last year for $699 ($730). It just seems like a price increase for the sake of Apple profits.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
This. You can’t price a Tesla and Civic in the same price bracket.
But you can study whether or not the sale of a electric/hybrid civic took sales from a Tesla.

And comparing iphones between Tesla and Civic is faulty. You can look at the price differences alone to see they're aren't comparable.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
SE and Mini are too different to compare in the same sentence. Economy versus luxury car.
no they're not; not to a person deciding what new iphone to buy. ("I need a new iphone" I can spend $399 or $729. What are the features? What do I care about? Are the features enough to entice me to spend $330 more?") <= that is what a consumer might be thinking when deciding which small phone to buy. Before now, if someone wanted a small phone, they had one choice with iphone (6,7,8,SE).... Now they have two. It does indeed warrant a comparison, and hence why I asked if SE's might be canabalizing mini sales (because maybe that extra $330 isn't worth it?)

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
You are asking posters to explain their opinion but you haven’t explained yours ? ..... you say it ‘should‘ have been $650 or $599 but you don’t explain why other than what appears to be a random price plucked out of thin air.
Read through my comments, I'm sure you can gather my opinion on the matter :)

JW313

Suspended
Sep 16, 2020
Yes, if we compare the 12mini to the 6,7,8 and what price they released at ($650), then the mini makes sense at $699... Heck even a bargain!!!

The kicker for me is when you compare it to the 11 from last year and you see that the mini is the same price as a 6.1" screen phone with the same two camera setup (release day specs all being the same). It's hard to say the mini is priced appropriately when you compare it to what you got last year for $699 ($730). It just seems like a price increase for the sake of Apple profits.
You have to look at R&D costs and 5G modem. RD needs to be recouped somehow and the 5G modems are much more expensive compared to the 4G modems of last year.

Reactions: snipr125

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
You’re making so many assumptions here.

Even the most average joe takes tons of photos & videos of their family, dog, friend, etc. All he has to do is stick to the default 4K video recording and that storage is going to fill up. Fast.

also, how can you even plausibly say that most regular, non-tech enthusiast users don’t store most of their photos on their phones. If anything, that’s almost always the opposite of what happens.

Sure, they aren’t power users, but you’re acting like they don’t even use their phones at all lol. 64gb is a pittance considering the default quality of photos & videos in 2020.
64 may be a pittance in 2020, but with management, 64GB is okay (and I mean MANAGEMENT... like emptying out caches and deleting old apps not used and offloading photos to an external storage drive)

Reactions: snipr125

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
It is the lowest selling in the 12 family? I remember reading articles predicting they will be top sellers.
There were a lot of opinions (including mine) on the forums that the mini might be a sleeper hit. There are articles out there that are saying otherwise, though. We'll see in a few months if the sleeper hit is true or not.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
How do you identify any iPhone 12 model, most of which are in cases and glimpsed only for a few seconds?
You have to be a phone fanatic scoping out that hot tech, like you're scoping someone's Jordan's and Dunks like a sneakerhead.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
You have to look at R&D costs and 5G modem. RD needs to be recouped somehow and the 5G modems are much more expensive compared to the 4G modems of last year.
No, I totally get the rationale for the price of what you mentioned.... I just don't think it really matters to consumers.

"Give me product at fair price, I don't care how you do it".
Free market works like that.

JM

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 23, 2014
The worst marketing decision is 16GB iPhone 6 & 6S period
But oh how the 32 GB upgrade on the 7 was such a godsend, right?! I was living on cloud 9 with 32 GB haha

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes its a bit sad i know, but im a bit of a phone geek and literally just need a couple of seconds looking at someones phone on a train and i know what model it is, especially iphones. With the 12 models the flat edge is the give away, and a 12 mini would easier to spot due to its unique size, but alas not seen one in the wild yet. Seen a few iphone 12 6.1/Pro models though!

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.