Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abcedfg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
I just unpacked my iPhone 12 Pro Max and noticed some light scratches near the charging port and on the sides. I’m wondering if your devices came with similar defects in the coating? Am I expecting too much from a +1k$ phone?
Other than that it is flawless, no dust inside camera etc.
Would you keep it? It’s not really visible unless you look at it in the right angle.

Attachments

• 05328923-4A6F-495D-BA9B-414DC96E45C0.jpeg
    05328923-4A6F-495D-BA9B-414DC96E45C0.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 5,812
  • 6DA7138D-10F7-4466-B6E1-1F0022B2B055.jpeg
    6DA7138D-10F7-4466-B6E1-1F0022B2B055.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 4,599

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Ordered directly from Apple?

In any case, I'd keep it personally. It's so minor, and I case mine, which would hide that anyway.

Reactions: chabig

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2014
Did you buy it from apple ? You can take it to the store and return it for a new one.

abcedfg

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2021
Ordered directly from Apple?

In any case, I'd keep it personally. It's so minor, and I case mine, which would hide that anyway.
Not directly from apple, but I could just return it within 14 days since I bought it online.

leslieg

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2020
You are definitely not being unreasonable to return for a replacement given how expensive the device is.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I just unpacked my iPhone 12 Pro Max and noticed some light scratches near the charging port and on the sides. I’m wondering if your devices came with similar defects in the coating? Am I expecting too much from a +1k$ phone?
Would you keep it? It’s not really visible unless you look at it in the right angle.
I had the same thing when I bought my 12 pro max gold. Alas mine was much worse. The stainless steel band edge above the charge port was chipped meaning it was pitted. Almost as if the phone had been dropped face down on a gravel road. Mine was definitely QC issues ,since viewing the chips and defects of the gold band under magnification showed no color mismatch, it appears the gold process was applied on mine when the frame was already damaged.
Sent it straight back.

Last edited:

tedley

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Sacramento
I’d keep it. It’s steel, which scratches so easily it may leave a mark like that the next time you take it out of your jeans!!
I’d return it. Not because of the scratch, but because of what the scratch tells you. It was probably used by someone else and returned. You don’t know the how the phone was handled and cared for. If you paid for a ‘new’ phone, you should get a ‘new’ phone.

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
I'd definitely keep it. That mark is so minor, and so barely noticeable, you'll forget about it after a day or two. And, you are going to get a couple more scratches just from daily use.

vroom2

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2019
First, that stinks, they should do better, second, call Apple, have it documented by a genius requesting that detailed notes are written about the situation. Let them know you are going to see if it is something that bothers you, as it is a bit of an inconvenience to go through a replacement, and request the option to have it replaced for this issue at a later date should you decide it is something you cannot live with. Or as others have said return to carrier. With clear documented notes in place, you will be set up for a basically no questions asked future replacement, as long as you are within the warranty period (and there is no major unrelated physical damage at the time of swap). Either way good luck.

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
I’d return it. Not because of the scratch, but because of what the scratch tells you. It was probably used by someone else and returned. You don’t know the how the phone was handled and cared for. If you paid for a ‘new’ phone, you should get a ‘new’ phone.
If it was sold as new and not a refurb, it likely happened at the factory when they were testing the charging port.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011

Remember, a lot of products bought from retail are 'unused' returns and most retailers simply get repackaged after checking, but often miss minor scratches.

In 2020, a tonne of people were buying items online as they had nothing else to do. As they couldn't see them in person, a tonne of people decided those items weren't for them and returned them!

I'd say 50% of the items I bought new from June 2020 through March 2021 looked liked they'd been evaluated. One retailer in particularly sent two products I had to return as both were slightly damaged: one had a door which wouldn't sit flush, the other had minor scratches.

That's the fundamental issue of buying from retail online. You think you're getting brand new, but so many people return 'unused' items for a refund, it's often been in the hands of another person first.

teohyc

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
The cable is going to scratch that area eventually unless you're only going to charge the phone wireless all the time.

auwkeung

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2008
I think you need to balance the troublesome of returning it and the agony of knowing your phone is not perfect out of the box.
If it's easy for you to return it, do it. Otherwise just cover it with a case.

Having the phone scratched out of the box is not the same of scratching it yourself.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I'd just keep it. To much hassle and yes you are right, even if you did return and got a new one, it could have other issues too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.