Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2016
Do you think it's likely we will see an iPhone SE 2 at today's event?

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If an SE 2 was announced at an event, it would be at an iOS event, which usually happens in September.

But as it does not appear to be considered a top tier device, it is more likely to get a silent update, which could happen anytime, although more likely to be in the latter part of an iPhone cycle so that it gets current but mature chips (most likely Spring).

Flashock

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
I Just want this and price range 499-549 Dolar. Yeah I know this is a fantasy.

Comp 10.png

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
SE is still a great phone...no refreshments needed at the moment in my opinion.

Nice thing about it now is the 32GB base model. Someone who just needs a basic iOS phone, or an intro into the ecosystem, can get it pretty cheap on some prepaid plans. Such as Cricket and GoPhone. $200. I bought one as a backup phone to my 7+. Though it seems TINY :)

The 16GB model was essentially unusable if you wanted to do OS upgrades and had some apps or music.

Flashock

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
The size is wonderful for that but the back is hideous.

I Made this design and I want this. Apple is working on 3 iPhone models but this is wrong I think. iPhone 8 and this phone is enough.

And why don't you like the back? I think 5s has a pretty good design :D

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Nice thing about it now is the 32GB base model. Someone who just needs a basic iOS phone, or an intro into the ecosystem, can get it pretty cheap on some prepaid plans. Such as Cricket and GoPhone. $200. I bought one as a backup phone to my 7+. Though it seems TINY :)

The 16GB model was essentially unusable if you wanted to do OS upgrades and had some apps or music.

You can get an iPhone SE 32GB for $159 at Walmart on prepaid. It's a great deal.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Now that WWDC is nearly over, all you hopefuls (on a SE2) can go to rest.

It merely tells me you don't really understand why Apple offered it in the first place.

Reactions: macfacts

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Now that WWDC is nearly over, all you hopefuls (on a SE2) can go to rest.

It merely tells me you don't really understand why Apple offered it in the first place.

They offered it because 33% of iPhone owners still prefer a 4 inch screen.

I'm walking down the street, as I type out this post right now. One-handed while holding a bunch of stuff in my other hand. You can't do that with an iPhone 6. The convenience of size in the SE is unbeatable.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They offered it because 33% of iPhone owners still prefer a 4 inch screen.

I'm walking down the street, as I type out this post right now. One-handed while holding a bunch of stuff in my other hand. You can't do that with an iPhone 6. The convenience of size in the SE is unbeatable.

It's a dynamite phone.

Had it debuted at the same time as the 6s, I might have gotten it.

Only force-touch I do is to position the cursor...thats it.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I am skeptical. I wonder how much more can be done with these parts. It already has 2GB of RAM, 3 would probably drain battery way too much. The screen can't really be changed to anything better. The camera maybe they could include the new parts and keep everything flush, but probably not.

I think they may design a whole new size of iPhone, bezeless but smaller than the 2 flagships. You end up with a slightly larger screen but with more or less the same form factor as the original SE.

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
If an SE 2 was announced at an event, it would be at an iOS event, which usually happens in September.

But as it does not appear to be considered a top tier device, it is more likely to get a silent update, which could happen anytime, although more likely to be in the latter part of an iPhone cycle so that it gets current but mature chips (most likely Spring).

If I remember right the SE was introduced in March of 2016. My guess, and that is all that it is, is that Apple does not want a cheaper phone of their own eating into the sales and profits of their flagship devices.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
The iPhone SE is literally called "Special Edition". I don't know about you, but whenever I've seen anything special edition there was never another one of it. It is a one time deal. I doubt there will be a second SE.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
The SE will have no problem running iOS11 so no need for Apple to bring out a SE2 & they probably won't as mentioned it's a Special Edition.

But let look what you do get with the SE
VOLTE
Wifi Calling
Decent rear camera with 1080p 60fps & 4K Video recording
A9 which is still plenty powerful enough even by today standards.
2GB of ram
Apple Pay
5Ghz WiFi
And probably a few other things I've forgot to mention aswell.

As for the low megapixel selfie cam, it's never been a problem for me I've used it for video calls in the past without problem, and let me tell you their are some far far worst front facing camera's quality wise out there than the SE with alot more Megapixels.

And 3D touch is a none issue for me & i'll probably wouldn't use it even if it was on the SE.

So the SE will still be good through out 2018 & maybe beyond.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.