Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The iPhone SE is literally called "Special Edition". I don't know about you, but whenever I've seen anything special edition there was never another one of it. It is a one time deal. I doubt there will be a second SE.

I couldn't Disagree more. I think the SE will be back with a second iteration, perhaps in 2018. Apple retained the 4 Inch iPhone platform for a reason, to appease to those who wanted a smaller form factor, introduce an affordable iPhone for those who may not have been interested in the more expensive models and it allows a new consumer to be exposed to iOS/Apple's ecosystem. (Similar to what Apple did with the 2017 9.7 iPad). This is NOT an iPhone that will see a yearly update and it was never intended to be that way to begin with.

If the SE does resurface, it likely won't have all the latest iPhone specifications at that time, but it will have enough updates to keep it priced affordably and refreshed with physical hardware improvements.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
That is what I am hoping for. Upgrades and improvements, but in relatively the same size device as the SE. I don't think it's that users necessarily don't want the larger screen, just the size that comes with it. They can easily upgrade the screen size and keep the body the same. Will they?

CatherineVeraGat

Suspended
May 6, 2017
And what about those of us who will want an upgrade from the original SE at some point?

When Apple came out with the iPhone SE, almost everybody knew that this is a device that won't update every year. We all knew that 3 or 4 years down the road, that Apple will force all of us to upgrade to a 4.7 in iPhone. This may be the time that this will happen.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
When Apple came out with the iPhone SE, almost everybody knew that this is a device that won't update every year. We all knew that 3 or 4 years down the road, that Apple will force all of us to upgrade to a 4.7 in iPhone. This may be the time that this will happen.

No "almost everyone" did not know that. Apple is unpredictable and we don't know what will happen.

Reactions: dav1dd and macfacts

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I wouldn't say Apple can force anyone to upgrade to any of their devices. Their current iPhone line up offers something for everyone. I think they have a strong line up currently with the SE/6s/7.
[doublepost=1497259656][/doublepost]
No "almost everyone" did not know that. Apple is unpredictable and we don't know what will happen.

This is true. And these last two years Apple has really been unpredictable. More so, with WWDC 2017 was astonishing.

Reactions: dav1dd and oldmacs

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I couldn't Disagree more. I think the SE will be back with a second iteration, perhaps in 2018. Apple retained the 4 Inch iPhone platform for a reason, to appease to those who wanted a smaller form factor, introduce an affordable iPhone for those who may not have been interested in the more expensive models and it allows a new consumer to be exposed to iOS/Apple's ecosystem. (Similar to what Apple did with the 2017 9.7 iPad). This is NOT an iPhone that will see a yearly update and it was never intended to be that way to begin with.

If the SE does resurface, it likely won't have all the latest iPhone specifications at that time, but it will have enough updates to keep it priced affordably and refreshed with physical hardware improvements.
I hope so, but why would they call it Special Edition if it wasn't limited to a single release in some way?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I hope so, but why would they call it Special Edition if it wasn't limited to a single release in some way?

Apple isn't always predictable. Schiller confirmed the SE was labeled Special Edition. But a naming scheme doesn't mean a product won't return. A second version of the SE could easily resurface and be named the "SE 2." Apple obviously thought of the budget minded consumer with this iPhone and kept it refreshed. However, the SE is not an iPhone that will be refreshed annually. It's an iPhone to lock those whom prefer the smaller display and introduce those who wanted an iPhone into Apple's iOS ecosystem.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
SE right now is still quite future proofed, with it's internal specs still fantastic, great camera and strong battery life.... and it is affordable relative to Apples other iPhone products

I don't think we will be seeing a new SE or 4" iPhone this year, especially not when Apple is going to be introducing 3 new iPhone product later this year anyways....

It will be 2018, if that.
[doublepost=1497286010][/doublepost]
Their current iPhone line up offers something for everyone. I think they have a strong line up currently with the SE/6s/7.
[doublepost=1497259656][/doublepost]

I agree, and it is arguably their most diverse yet competent lineup to date....

The SE to 7 are also much more on par than previous devices

perhaps same could be said of 6+/6/5s/5c, or 4s/4/3gs ... but with both the A9 and A10 being very capable chips, similar base storage across all devices (goodbye 8GB base model on the cheapest iPhone) I think in many ways this is their strongest line up and truly "there is something for everyone"

A first time iPhone buyer going with the SE is not really missing out on anything major to a core iOS experience, although perhaps the same could have been said in any other year...but this is really their strongest lineup across the board thus far....a buyer picking up an SE or 6s or 7 is not really missing out or gaining much to a core experience, and this helps bring parity to positive experiences with the iOS platform

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The SE was intended as a low cost iPhone for India so the specs won't be changing for a while.

The SE is the only iPhone in Apple history that has been priced lower outside the USA. In India, it's been priced at US$300 compared to US$399 in the U.S. That discounted price was even before the Bangalore plant began production.

Reactions: macfacts

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
They offered it because 33% of iPhone owners still prefer a 4 inch screen. ...

No.

If that was the reason, why are the other parts of the iPhone SE (ram total, camera, body design) not the same as the plus and non-plus models? Why is it not refreshed at the same time in September as the other iPhones?

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
No.

If that was the reason, why are the other parts of the iPhone SE (ram total, camera, body design) not the same as the plus and non-plus models? Why is it not refreshed at the same time in September as the other iPhones?

Because it was made as a special edition? The camera of the SE is identical to the one in the 6S IIRC. They're almost the exact same phone.

The things they don't have are because to include them would require NEW parts. Apple already had these housings and screens in the pipeline. It takes almos 0 research and development to repurpose the 5S as the SE as a simple upgrade. They knew they would have a market, or maybe wanted to test if they would. Either way 33% of iPhone users still use a 4' screen.

I think they will continue to make a 4' iPhone in the future. Maybe not the same name, definitely not the same design. But I don't think it's done yet...

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Hi everyone,

Just purchase a brand new space gray iPhone SE for using in the Summertime. I usually use the 5C in yellow but wanted to upgrade a speedier iphone with Apple Pay, camera and Touch ID. The A9 sure beats the A6 SoC and has double the RAM too. The screen and text quality is much sharper and clearer then my 5C. I will be using my 5C as an iPod. Very impress with the SE! Should of done it when it came out!

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
A coworker who, finally, decided to get a cell phone was originally going to get a flip phone until he saw the reviews of the ones ATT GoPhone offered. Luckily, the $200 offer was available, since he wasn't going to spend the money of a 6s or newer.

I had just bought the SE as a spare iPhone, or to give to my sister if her 5c breaks, so he was able to see it in person and compare it to an inexpensive unlocked android. He went with the SE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.