Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
If Apple decides to make an iPhone SE 2, what's your wish list?

I love the 4" size (though would prefer 4.4" or 4.5").

One thing that I love/hate about the current SE is the edges, they irritate when using the phone, however they look awesome.
But ultimately curved edges is what I would prefer for usability purposes.
I would prefer the iPhone 7 body in a 4" size with the internals of the iPhone 7.

A better display. The iPhone 6S display shrunk to a 4" size maybe? It has better brightness, bettter contrast and colour accuracy.

iPhone 7 colour options.

Better front facing camera. A 5MP front facing 720p HD camera from the iPhone 6S.

And if they can, not really desperately needed though, incorporate 3D Touch as I see Apple using it more and more in iOS 10.

Stereo speakers from the iPhone 7.

That would truly be the "most powerful 4-inch phone."

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
It remains to be seen how much more can be done with the iPhone 5 core design. The SE might be the end of the line.

I think more likely, Apple will begin with a new core design in the next year or two, that spans 4" to 5.5" sizes.

se1000

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
LA, CA
Yup, agree with your points but I unfortunately think the SE will be the end of the road. If I had a wishlist, it would be:

- Updated front facing camera, possibly the one from the 7
- 3D touch
- haptic/updated touch ID home button from the 7
- taptic engine from the 6s (maybe a new one that better suited the small size of the 5 chassis?)
- updated screen, even if it kept the same resolution, would like to see the latest tech in brightness and color gamut from the 7

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My expectation is that we see three devices next year; The successor to the SE, the successor to the 7 and the successor to the 7+. That is all assuming that the SE sells well enough.

I feel at this point they will discontinue the original SE and 6s line. So we will have here new phones and two previous gen.

Apple hasn't a great product in the SE. It's not severely less capable than its bigger brothers, however it does come in at a rather hefty cost savings. I don't think people who were thinking about flagship devices are going to abandon that choice in favor of a cheaper SE, but I do think Apple is selling phones and possibly even upgraded with the SE that might have been in the fence and moved to another cheaper platform.

Just going with my gut here. I have no evidence and can easily be wrong. I just don't imagine Apple wants to have a splintered iPhone launch going forward.

Last edited:

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Important Note: The iPhone SE was not/is not eligible for the iPhone Upgrade Program. If it were, I would be more inclined to believe that they intended to offer a comparable upgrade at the 12 month mark.

But it seems far more likely to me that the line ends with the SE, and the iPhone 8 will continue the tradition with a 4" model.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
If Apple decides to make an iPhone SE 2, what's your wish list?

I love the 4" size (though would prefer 4.4" or 4.5").

I would prefer the iPhone 7 body in a 4" size with the internals of the iPhone 7.
You want the SE to have the internals of the iPhone 7, and the body of the iPhone 7, and you would prefer a 4.4" or 4.5" screen? It sounds like the current iPhone 7 is a whole lot closer to what you're looking for than the SE is.

Is 4.7" that much bigger than 4.5"?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
You want the SE to have the internals of the iPhone 7, and the body of the iPhone 7, and you would prefer a 4.4" or 4.5" screen? It sounds like the current iPhone 7 is a whole lot closer to what you're looking for than the SE is.

It will be interesting to see how the next core design applies. Personally I don't believe it will differ greatly from what we have now, as I believe this is a great core design in the 6/7 series, and change for change's sake is not good.

But there is the remote possibility that 4.7" screen can fit in an overall form factor that is smaller the current iPhone 7, and closer to the size of the SE.

Reactions: Uni Grad

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News

My apologies for not being more clear. The bezels on the 4.7" iPhone are too big and therefore it becomes a big phone. That's why I'll settle with a 4" unless Apple can decrease the bezels, then I'll move on to the regular size, otherwise I'm fine with the 4".

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Important Note: The iPhone SE was not/is not eligible for the iPhone Upgrade Program. If it were, I would be more inclined to believe that they intended to offer a comparable upgrade at the 12 month mark.

But it seems far more likely to me that the line ends with the SE, and the iPhone 8 will continue the tradition with a 4" model.

Or it's not part of the IUP because it is on a 2 year cycle.
[doublepost=1474926894][/doublepost]
My expectation is that we see three devices next year; The successor to the SE, the successor to the 7 and the successor to the 7S. That is all assuming that the SE sells well enough.

I feel at this point they will discontinue the original SE and 6s line. So we will have here new phones and two previous gen.

Apple hasn't a great product in the SE. It's not severely less capable than its bigger brothers, however it does come in at a rather hefty cost savings. I don't think people who were thinking about flagship devices are going to abandon that choice in favor of a cheaper SE, but I do think Apple is selling phones and possibly even upgraded with the SE that might have been in the fence and moved to another cheaper platform.

Just going with my gut here. I have no evidence and can easily be wrong. I just don't imagine Apple wants to have a splintered iPhone launch going forward.

I agree with this.
[doublepost=1474926973][/doublepost]
My apologies for not being more clear. The bezels on the 4.7" iPhone are too big and therefore it becomes a big phone. That's why I'll settle with a 4" unless Apple can decrease the bezels, then I'll move on to the regular size, otherwise I'm fine with the 4".

The reason tbe SE is so nice is because the screen size. Pretty much anyone can thumb the entire screen. A larger screen in a smaller body still kinda defeats this. Maybe 4.3" max and people could still do it.

Reactions: subjonas

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Or it's not part of the IUP because it is on a 2 year cycle.
[doublepost=1474926894][/doublepost]

I agree with this.
[doublepost=1474926973][/doublepost]

The reason tbe SE is so nice is because the screen size. Pretty much anyone can thumb the entire screen. A larger screen in a smaller body still kinda defeats this. Maybe 4.3" max and people could still do it.

Yeah 4.3" would be the sweet spot for me. It would be perfect. I find smaller phones to be more "productive" gadgets. I don't spend too much time consuming media, and get on with my work, and yet still have a smartphone to occasionally browse something interesting, use Google Maps lol, call/text, Facebook, and have a dedicated calendar, listen to music, take some pictures here and there, keep in touch w/ family ...FaceTime. Perfect.

Reactions: thor1996

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I love my SE but think this was a one shot deal. I guess though if they sell enough Apple may do an SE 2.

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
I think the SE will always be an off-cycle update so it doesn't cannibalize sales of the more premium phones. My guess is we won't see an update until March of 2018 at the earliest. The fact that they just updated the storage options hints that way too.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Not much they could do to improve it besides not treating it as an afterthought to the 7s.
[doublepost=1490531604][/doublepost]
I think the SE will always be an off-cycle update so it doesn't cannibalize sales of the more premium phones.
People who want an SE size were never going to get "the premium" phone anyways so why should Apple not consider the SE to be just as premium?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
People who want an SE size were never going to get "the premium" phone anyways so why should Apple not consider the SE to be just as premium?
When the SE was released, it was "premium" in the sense that it has flagship internals, better than the "mid-range" offering the iPhone 6.
It is obvious we won't see a refresh this year as Apple just updated the storage tier. When the next iPhone with A11 is released, the SE will be where the iPhone 5S was, a 2-generation-behind model.

It is unfortunate. I wish Apple would just simplify iPhone lineup, all with same SoC, but differing screen size. That way, people don't have to be stuck with an "older" internals just because they want a smaller phone.

regkilla

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2013
California
Improved front facing camera, higher resolution display, bigger battery. In the same design but a little bigger overall with 3 gb of RAM.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Improved front facing camera, higher resolution display, bigger battery. In the same design but a little bigger overall with 3 gb of RAM.
That sounds more like a regular iPhone model (and even just the plus only has extra RAM) than an SE model.

dave2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra
They just need to make the iPod touch into an iPhone

That's what I want. An 88 g iPhone would be awesome
Hopefully there are enough people who aren't convinced by the big phone trend for Apple to do something in the small phone market.

I'll see what Apple does in September and decide. The last innovations from Apple that I'd actually miss were Apple Pay and Car Play in 2014. Apple will have to produce serious new features to get me to use a bigger iPhone and leave the SE behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.