Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
With this offer, can you keep your existing plan with At&t or do you have to signup for higher priced unlimited plans?
Also, is there any benefit of doing 30% down payment... does it affect how the tax is calculated and it's cheaper?

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
With this offer, can you keep your existing plan with At&t or do you have to signup for higher priced unlimited plans?
Just saw my first bill post-upgrade.

Short answer: yes, you can keep your old plan.

I'm still on the Mobile Share Value 35GB for $110, $88 after FAN (used to be 20GB for $100/80) and all lines still get the $25 per line no-contract discount so line access fee is $15/smartphone. Financed amounts are $249 (128GB) and $349 (256GB).

There's an extra $60 in one-time upgrade fees (for two lines) dated 4/17 (when I placed the order). I don't think just swapping SIMs will let you avoid the fee on your bill although you might be able to sweet talk AT&T into waiving them. I'm too stressed with work right now (overtime every day) so I'm not even gonna bother with calling AT&T, wasting a couple hours and frustrating myself just to get it waived.

Didn't know but AT&T has 5G in my area now (Los Angeles). The new Unlimited Elite plan doesn't look too awful. It's $20 more per month compared to my current plan. However, the $50 per line fee ($30 after autopay and signature discount) likely means higher taxes and fees (probably another $20-40/mo). I'm considering it for when 5G iPhones are released but to be honest, as long as we don't stream videos non-stop, we even get rollover data every month.
[automerge]1588735691[/automerge]
Well my new iPhone SE just arrived via USPS from Walmart. The shipping label was created on Sunday, it shipped yesterday, and arrived here right in the middle of the window that USPS suggested: 1-3 PM).

I ordered the iPhone (Product) Red, 128GB for AT&T. I received a Unlocked SIM Free p/n: MXCY2LL/A. It arrived with a SIM removal tool in the sleeve with the title: Designed by Apple in California. The SIM tool was on a card as pictured below. I opened the SIM tray to confirm there was no pre-installed Nano-SIM.

iPhone Transfer is running now, no issues with different version(s) of iOS. Only hiccup so far was the new SE was unable to authenticate by using the camera scan, simply went to manual method and entered 6 digit id from new SE screen.

Dave

View attachment 912409 View attachment 912410
I received the same SIM eject tool with my 2020 iPhone SEs. I dislike these. They're no better than a paperclip and they can twist on you.

I guess that's one of areas they cuts costs. My dad's iPhone 11 came with a nice solid one.

a3bd4e57-d987-44db-9f23-b899e21d3c6b-jpeg.908116

Last edited:

sluggozmom

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2011
Massachusetts
Has anyone got the $30 upgrade fee waived? I have nano-sim in my current phone, so if I want to use the same then will they waive this fee?
I was able to get a couple $15 credits to offset the upgrade fee that he couldn't waive.
I called about 8:20 am on a weekday, a couple days after I got the email from AT&T. The call took about 10-15 minutes and the guy couldn't have been any nicer. I've had my account for over 20 years and I am a premier member (corporate).

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Ok, then it's a good deal. At&t and T-mobile are also offering similar deals which at first sounds even better than this Walmart deal but then make you signup for unlimited plan which is more expensive than my current plan, so eventually turns out to be more expensive than Walmart deal. There is a lot of fine print and you really need to read it or ask the agent all the questions.
Just saw my first bill post-upgrade.

Short answer: yes, you can keep your old plan.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Ok, then it's a good deal. At&t and T-mobile are also offering similar deals which at first sounds even better than this Walmart deal but then make you signup for unlimited plan which is more expensive than my current plan, so eventually turns out to be more expensive than Walmart deal. There is a lot of fine print and you really need to read it or ask the agent all the questions.
Agents lie.

I prefer to do stuff online and read the fine print myself. Most of the carrier deals, the terms often state unlimited plan, new line, switch or trade in, and bill credits end when you if you make any changes to the line or pay off the device early (e.g. to get it unlocked for overseas travel).

This Walmart SE deal was unexpectedly good with practically no strings attached.

That said, I've never really understood why AT&T and Verizon offer hefty discounts on prepaid kits that only require 2-6 months service before unlock and can be used on existing prepaid lines but don't offer any discounts on those same devices for postpaid customers wanting to upgrade (or replace a broken phone).

At least AT&T allows using their prepaid phone kits on postpaid accounts (just need to call/email customer service). When I bought a Verizon iPhone SE prepaid kit for $150 from Best Buy, I learned you needed 6 months prepaid service and they wouldn't even let me use it on Verizon postpaid.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I bought four ATT base iPhone SEs at the $199 price. Two red SEs for wife and daughter. Two white SEs for my eldest son and me. I will be giving my XR to my youngest son, who is in college and might enjoy the larger screen. This will leave us with a couple of viable older phones (7 and 6s) that can be mothballed as backups.

Not bad.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I didn’t even know this was even happening lol. Congratulations you guys on getting a heck of a deal here with your new SE’s! For $199 and you’re done and paid for this might the steal of the year.

bballers29

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2014
My cousin has tried take advantage of this Walmart deal through Verizon and gets an error message saying “Can’t verify your address”. Have you been able to resolve this issue? Doesn't make sense.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My cousin has tried take advantage of this Walmart deal through Verizon and gets an error message saying “Can’t verify your address”. Have you been able to resolve this issue? Doesn't make sense.

Has he been putting in the account holder's address?

Don't think it can be sent elsewhere

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas

I have Verizon. Everytime I check online it says they are sold out. Maybe that's why she can't get past the address.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have Verizon. Everytime I check online it says they are sold out. Maybe that's why she can't get past the address.
Nah. The address thing is an account issue.

If the specific SE configuration is out of stock, you'd get an error adding to cart instead.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
Nah. The address thing is an account issue.

If the specific SE configuration is out of stock, you'd get an error adding to cart instead.

When you go to Walmart.com and click on any configuration it says "Out of Stock"

So I wonder where this person is able to even get to the address?

They have AT&T in stock, but all Verizon say "Out of Stock"

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Does anyone know if you buy via T Mobile on the Apple store, could that phone / sim be used For MetroPCS?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
When you go to Walmart.com and click on any configuration it says "Out of Stock"

So I wonder where this person is able to even get to the address?

They have AT&T in stock, but all Verizon say "Out of Stock"
Walmart's product page doesn't immediately update out of stock configurations. I've often been able to go all the way through the process only to receive an error upon add to cart.

By the way, almost all of Verizon's configurations show as available for delivery to my location (May 15-20). Whether you can complete checkout is another matter.

Has anyone been able to order the Verizon models? I keep getting " Sorry there's a problem, please try again later" when I try to add it to the cart. I can't seem to get it done. I have tried using safari, chrome, and firefox.
According to Slickdeals, that error means the configuration is sold out. I originally selected VZW Red 256GB. Switched to VZW Black 256GB and it worked.

They mentioned inventory is fluctuating so just try again or maybe try a different config.
Thanks for the notification! Because of this, I was able to snag the phone. I just bought the 256 GB Red. It says it's arriving on May 1.

Last edited:

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
Walmart's product page doesn't immediately update out of stock configurations. I've often been able to go all the way through the process only to receive an error upon add to cart.

By the way, almost all of Verizon's configurations show as available for delivery to my location (May 15-20). Whether you can complete checkout is another matter.

Yeah, maybe it's based on location. I am in the Houston area and it says "out of stock" on the walmart website. I can't go any further than that. That sucks lol

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I got the $199 deal for my wife. I paid it off after receiving the phone. When I go to AT&T's unlock request site and put in the IMEI, it gives me the following: Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device.

Anyone experience this before? How do I unlock it?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
The iPhone may already be unlocked. Check the model number:

Did you get Walmart $199 deal with At&t and paid off $199, did you call At&t or how? Do you have wait for some months before paying it off to unlock?

I got the $199 deal for my wife. I paid it off after receiving the phone. When I go to AT&T's unlock request site and put in the IMEI, it gives me the following: Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device.

Anyone experience this before? How do I unlock it?

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I got the deal through Walmart WITH AT&T. It arrived two weeks ago. I went into the AT&T app and paid it off in there on Tuesday of this week.
[automerge]1589409659[/automerge]
I just checked the model and it is the unlocked version. That is nice that I won't have to restore it to unlock it.

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I got the deal through Walmart WITH AT&T. It arrived two weeks ago. I went into the AT&T app and paid it off in there on Tuesday of this week.
I just checked the model and it is the unlocked version. That is nice that I won't have to restore it to unlock it.
That just means it's SIM-free and was never added to AT&T's database. No guarantee it's unlocked. You'll have to try a SIM from another carrier to confirm.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Can you pay it off with a credit card or have to just tack it on overall bill, the payout amount?

Thought you had to wait a billing cycle or two to be able to buy it

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Why not buy it unlocked? Are you trying to have it billed to your T-Mobile account?

I‘m buying it for someone else, but their service is with MetroPCS.

I know MetroPCS is under TMobile, so I was curious if their sim cards are compatible. My other option is just to buy it unlocked....but then I’ll have to get a SIM card & go through Metro.

As I’m typing this, I’m thinking the answer is probably no, just wasn’t sure how connected the major carriers subsidiary companies (AT&T’s Cricket & TMobile’s MetroPC) are when it comes to SIM cards / activations.

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
I‘m buying it for someone else, but their service is with MetroPCS.

I know MetroPCS is under TMobile, so I was curious if their sim cards are compatible. My other option is just to buy it unlocked....but then I’ll have to get a SIM card & go through Metro.

As I’m typing this, I’m thinking the answer is probably no, just wasn’t sure how connected the major carriers subsidiary companies (AT&T’s Cricket & TMobile’s MetroPC) are when it comes to SIM cards / activations.
Ah, gotcha. Not 100% sure, but I think it will probably not work if you order a T-Mobile SIM. If they already have a MetroPCS SIM card on their current phone, it should just be a matter of putting that SIM card on the SE and they should be good to go.

Reactions: Coffee50
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.