Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boulderarch

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Love it. Upgrade form the OG SE. Bezels don’t bother me at all visually. I would prefer a larger screen but the notch sucks. Lightweight. Battery has been fine. Just the right size. Camera decent enough. And the Walmart price was a steal. Touch ID is great with a mask.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I've had the SE from day one love this phone does everything i need it to, as for the charger I've got an Anker 30watt charger along with a usb-c to lighting cable.

mblm85

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2010
Sheffield, UK
I stuck with the 12W charger I already had which works using my existing Lightning to USB cables. The 18W charger needs a USB-C cable that doesn't come with it. I judged it too expensive for too little gain over the 12W.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Alright, you guys have me so tempted now. I guess I’ll wait and see how much the 12 is going to be, before I decide. walmart is still doing the $199 deal so I can jump on that too I guess.

Also, those of you happy with your SE, do you plan on keeping it as your daily driver or are you getting the 12 and keeping the SE as a back up?

Last edited:

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Had mine about 3 months. Love it, very smooth and very fast. Besides that the top three things I really like are finger print unlock, great pocketability and battery is
More than adequate. Running latest iOS 14 beta 6 and performs very well on it.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I have a question about seeing up the device. Has anyone tried to set it up by moving data over from an Android device. I'm thinking about my contacts mainly.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I have a question about seeing up the device. Has anyone tried to set it up by moving data over from an Android device. I'm thinking about my contacts mainly.
I came from an android and my contacts automatically came over. I’m with Verizon and use a regular sim.
I didn’t care about anything else and set it up fresh.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I came from an android and my contacts automatically came over. I’m with Verizon and use a regular sim.
I didn’t care about anything else and set it up fresh.

I have a Verizon prepaid plan and since I bought my phone with no carrier I can change the device on my account. I hope it's easy I just want my contacts. I don't have any pics or Music(I have music but it's through Apple Music and it's one song)

Capeto

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2015
Apple has an official Android app for transferring your stuff to iOS. Transferring contacts should not be difficult, it seems to be a little more finicky with transferring all SMS messages, and photos being out of order.

Edit: If your Android contacts are synced to your Google account, you can always just sign in to your Google account on iOS and transfer them that way.

Reactions: uther and macher

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I have a Verizon prepaid plan and since I bought my phone with no carrier I can change the device on my account. I hope it's easy I just want my contacts. I don't have any pics or Music(I have music but it's through Apple Music and it's one song)
Just put your sim in and you should be good to go. Or are you saying you use. E-sim? Then I guess it’s an account setting on my Verizon?

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Just put your sim in and you should be good to go. Or are you saying you use. E-sim? Then I guess it’s an account setting on my Verizon?

Verizon told me to enter the device IMEI number at the my Verizon website and it would transfer over

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Verizon told me to enter the device IMEI number at the my Verizon website and it would transfer over
Ok, whatever works. I swap between android and iOS a lot, just switching the sim out.
I know some have gotten charged $30 on post paid accounts for a bogus charge when starting up a new phone thru Verizon rather than just switching sims but prepaid might be different. Good luck.

KFridman

macrumors regular
May 8, 2020
New York State
Got the SE when T-Mobile was offering a $200 trade on a 6s in May. Have been happy with it. But, my iPad died a few months ago and I’m thinking of going with a larger phone to take the place of my iPad/iPhone combo. I like my wife’s 11. Doubt I’d go bigger than the 6.1 inch screen but will wait and look at the new ones when available.

Reactions: macher

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Bought a black 128 GB SE right when it came out because both ATT and TMo force users to use their crappy visual voicemail apps rather than the one built into the Android phone app.
It’s much faster than the Nokia 6.2 I had(relevant because that one didn’t even have a manufacturer launcher, just plain Android) and I really wanted a smaller phone again.
The one thing I miss is the Google Advanced Caller ID built in.
The last iPhone I had was the 3GS.

Reactions: 5105973

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I also bought mine at launch and it’s been good to me. I upgraded from a 6s and my wife from a LG so the upgrade was noticed to me. The battery was starting to go on both of our old phones so now we can make it most of the day which is nice.
I noticed an improvement in the camera over the 6s. I do miss the long press reply on texts from the lock screen though.
Bought mine at launch as well. It’s a great phone!

And just an FYI...the long press for messages on the Lock Screen is in the iOS 14 beta. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until it came in the beta! It wasn’t in there from the beginning of the beta cycle though. It was one of the more recent betas.

Last edited:
Reactions: remington79

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I stuck with the 12W charger I already had which works using my existing Lightning to USB cables. The 18W charger needs a USB-C cable that doesn't come with it. I judged it too expensive for too little gain over the 12W.
I've tested the SE with 18W and 30W USB PD chargers and there's actually no gain to be had. Because of the much smaller battery, the max the SE needs to draw to get to the fast charge definition of 50% in 30 minutes is 12W.

USB PD chargers are very convenient for iPads though which have more massive batteries.

Also, those of you happy with your SE, do you plan on keeping it as your daily driver or are you getting the 12 and keeping the SE as a back up?
Dunno yet. OLED displays have traditionally given me migraines and eye strain so if that trend continues with the iPhone 12, I'm going back to the SE. If not, then I'll keep the SE as backup.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

mishaneah

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
For those of you who have the iPhone SE 2020 how do you like it. I just purchased the iPhone SE 2020 with 128 GB of storage(that fits be better as well as my budget)
I like the form factor better than the unusable XR, but the antenna is garbage. Like put the phone in my pocket and lean over causes the Bluetooth To cut out level garbage.

Reactions: camelphat2019

Alan C

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2020
Coming from a guy who upgrades the iPhone plus / max models every year (because it’s easy to sell in my area, considering it like an annual phone expense), the SE is refreshingly small and fast. But the battery life is about 30% less than the big phones. I usually don’t need to charge it because I use my MacBook or iPad most of the time, and the phone is just for communication and quick info, so the big screens on phones isn’t much of a concern for me anymore. Sometimes I use my wife’s phone and was surprised how big those 6.5” screen was, but when I held it I don’t miss it because they’re big

I’m also a big fan of Touch ID, even when I’m not wearing a mask, because you don’t have to pick up your phone just to view some notifications. I was impressed about Face ID, but still prefer touch. Wish they had both in the future.

additionally, the price! Now I don’t have to wait to get a new iPhone if the old one breaks (my old one broke because I washed it ?) I can just head to the Apple store and get the SE without any hassle! I hope that will be another 2-3 years before I have to visit for this reason though.

instead of getting a new iPhone every year, I can now save that money and put into a Mac or iPad instead, which IMO gives much more value and usability than the iPhone.

Alan C

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2020
Looks like I made a good choice then. :D Also wondering if I should buy he 18W charger.
Don’t bother. The SE charges fast enough because of the small battery. It’s really meant for iPad/iPad Pros which takes like 8 hours to charge with normal USB. Besides, if you will ever get the iPad Pro, or the upcoming iPad Air, it will already come with the charger.

If you want to spend money, probably get one of though wireless charging power banks instead. It’s similar price and offer fast charging, and you also get a battery!

Reactions: compwiz1202

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Bought mine at launch as well. It’s a great phone!

And just an FYI...the long press for messages on the Lock Screen is in the iOS 14 beta. I didn’t realize how much I missed it until it came in the beta! It wasn’t in there from the beginning of the beta cycle though. It was one of the more recent betas.
That’s good to hear. The work around that you have to do now you might as well unlock the phone. That’s been my only real gripe.
I can fit this phone in the front pocket of my jeans with it in an Otterbox Defender.

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.