Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Please do let me know your thoughts on the 8th gen.

In our house we've had a mini2.

When I get my iphone I will be downsizing in screen size compared to my current android. My plan is to get an ipad for myself to compensate.

I like it. I also have the keyboard for the iPad so I have really been using it and my phone more than my computers.(Plus I somehow hurt my shoulders which makes lifting my computer up after work harder) I work at home and use an iMac for my job.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have never owned a Face ID iPhone and I just tried Apple Pay for the first time with Touch ID and love it
Is Face ID better as far as paying with Apple Pay ?

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
Well my phone journey this last month is crazy. I have a 6s+ with a home button that doesn't work that i've had for 5 years. So I was going to upgrade to an iPhone 12. Ordered it, realized I wanted the cooler camera's bought into the hype, ordered a 12 Pro, but late so it still isn't here. Did some thinking and realized we won't return to a "normal" for at least another year +, and that all the cool features (night mode and what not) won't really be useful until things do return to normal, which is also when there will be even better phones. So I am now waiting to return the 12 pro (it already shipped) because the SE is really the perfect phone for now, and so, so much cheaper. It will be here Tuesday, and I can't wait. Lol. What a month.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I wish this iPhone SE got the Cyprus green case color by Apple

I can’t find a third party phone case that matches that color

TGM85

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2005
Had mine since April, having used an 8 plus. SE is a nice, very snappy, compact, one handed no frills phone. Sure it had the same design as the iphone 8 with large forehead and chin bezels, but its a tried and tested well refined design. I get solid 2 days battery life in between charges as i am a light/moderate user, who doesnt sit there for hours rinsing instagram/tick tock like some social media zombies do. Its got an A13 like the iphone 11 series so is very powerful and will be supported for next 4-5 years.

I switched from an iPhone 7 Plus to an iPhone SE 2020 in November and my experience has been exactly the same as yours. It's a solid device for light and moderate use.

Battery life has been excellent, I can confirm getting 2 days between charges most of the time.

The camera on the iPhone SE 2020 is surprisingly good, even though it's a single lens set-up. It's better than the dual lens camera on the 7 Plus, though I do miss the optical zoom on the 7 Plus. The massively better portrait mode on the SE 2020 feels like a more than fair trade for the optical zoom though.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I think I am going to get an iPhone 12 model as I have never had the latest and greatest model of any phone. I can get with my employee discount due to working for an Apple Vendor and spend less than $1K. The stimulus payment and some saved money will allow me to purchase the phone. I will keep both on my verizon prepaid account.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I think I am going to get an iPhone 12 model as I have never had the latest and greatest model of any phone. I can get with my employee discount due to working for an Apple Vendor and spend less than $1K. The stimulus payment and some saved money will allow me to purchase the phone. I will keep both on my verizon prepaid account.
It's a great phone. Just be advised that to get one of these sweetheart carrier deals on a new phone you will probably need to upgrade to an unlimited 5G plan. Also, to get true 5G service on your 5G phone, most carriers require that you upgrade to one of their higher tier 5G plans.

I have just started looking at upgrading myself, and it is a pretty pricey proposition for us to move to a 5G plan that gives the full benefit of the higher speed. Currently, we have an older ATT 30GB family plan with 7 lines: 4 iPhone SEs, 1 XR, and 2 older iPhones.

Last edited:

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
Sure thing, again it worked really well considering the size! I guess you would have to expect a small battery of course! It’s so cool tho how it fits in your pockets !!!!
Completely right. I do not have a problem with battery life because I charge it frequently, both on the car and in the office when I place it on wireless chargers. One of the offices is in a sub-basement, and the bad cell signal makes it run through the battery even faster.

If I didn't had access to frequent chargers, it would be a nightmare, certainly.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
It's a great phone. Just be advised that to get one of these sweetheart carrier deals on a new phone you will probably need to upgrade to an unlimited 5G plan. Also, to get true 5G service on your 5G phone, most carriers require that you upgrade to one of their higher tier 5G plans.

I have just started looking at upgrading myself, and it is a pretty pricey proposition for us to move to a 5G plan that gives the full benefit of the higher speed. Currently, we have an older ATT 30GB family plan with 7 lines: 4 iPhone SEs, 1 XR, and 2 older iPhones.
I talked to Verizon a while ago and supposedly the SIM cards will work with 5G. I have an unlimited prepaid plan for $65/month (but I have a loyalty discount). And there isn’t any 5G close to me at the present time.(Nearest cities are Fargo ND and Sioux Falls SD.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just joined iPhone SE club

I have the 12 pro max but SE will be my work phone. Be weird using a smaller form factor but looking forward to trying it

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Just joined iPhone SE club

I have the 12 pro max but SE will be my work phone. Be weird using a smaller form factor but looking forward to trying it
you may think it’s weird now but look out. Next thing you know you will be realizing how awesome it is to have a smaller, lighter and easily pocketable device, and you’ll be getting an iPhone 12 Mini to replace your Max. That’s how it went for me, and I’ve been a big phone guy since the 6 Plus.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
you may think it’s weird now but look out. Next thing you know you will be realizing how awesome it is to have a smaller, lighter and easily pocketable device, and you’ll be getting an iPhone 12 Mini to replace your Max. That’s how it went for me, and I’ve been a big phone guy since the 6 Plus.

Ha I doubt it but will be nice to have a smaller form factor when I need it and use it with one hand when needed. Obviously 12 pro max isn’t a one handed device

Be good to just use my backup so I have everything on there in mins without taking ages to add apps and other stuff etc. Another big plus to having a 2nd iPhone compared to an android device for example

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Right now I’m using about 30 GB of storage on my phone. I’m using more on my iPad as that is where I have downloaded my music from Apple Music. Both devices are 128 GB storage models

ItsTomi

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2021
iPhone SE users, can you help me with this?

Last edited:

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
I have a 2020 SE. Great performance, daytime camera, and price. Absolutely horrendous wifi performance. Apple really cheaped out on their wifi hardware.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I have a 2020 SE. Great performance, daytime camera, and price. Absolutely horrendous wifi performance. Apple really cheaped out on their wifi hardware.
If it is any comfort, my iPhone 12 pro also performs worse than my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on wifi. Still plenty good though.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
If it is any comfort, my iPhone 12 pro also performs worse than my Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 on wifi. Still plenty good though.
It was so bad that it would drop wifi dozens of times per day, even when directly next to router. When connected, slow speeds as well. Guess this is where apple cheaped out on their “cheap” phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It was so bad that it would drop wifi dozens of times per day, even when directly next to router. When connected, slow speeds as well. Guess this is where apple cheaped out on their “cheap” phone.

Possibly a router settings issue or defective iPhone? I had issues with my mobile devices on my old ASUS router running Tomato. Replaced it with a TP-Link mesh system (with wired backhaul) and wi-fi on all our devices has been solid ever since *knock on wood*.

I haven't tested for max wifi throughput on the SE2 but per online Speedtest, it's capable of maxing out my 200 Mbps home internet. No random dropouts either.

Reactions: myrtlebee

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Sounds like an issue with your specific phone or your router / internet connection. We have 3 iPhone SE 2020 in our household and none of them have any issues with WiFi.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.