Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I really liked the SE but the battery was horrible actually, for someone who works on calls, you are lucky to make it from 8-2 without having to charge it, some that ok, me that’s not at all... also found text hard to read... switched to the iphone 11 for now....:)!

Reactions: compwiz1202 and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’m getting 6 hours 1 min over the last 10 days

My last 24 that I just checked is actually 6 hours 47 minutes. If I can get over 5 hours of SOT then the device definitely has a good enough battery in my opinion.

I know for sure that back in 2016, 2017 when I had the iPhone 7 with a bigger battery that I didn’t get near 6 hours of SOT. If I remember correctly I remember it being around 4 and a half hours or So. I know the SE has a “smaller” battery but I think the A13 is well optimized
Awesome, thank you.

I'm going to assume that I would probably get around 6 hrs then. My 7 consistantly gets around 5-5.5 I think. So the A13 does seem to be more efficient. I just have to decide if I'm happy with that 6 hrs with an SE. (My gut reaction right now is that it won't be enough for me: so then it would be a decision regarding "is the extra $200/$300 worth it for what is hopefully better battery with the 5.4" 12.)

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I'm contemplating a smaller phone that what I have so looking at something affordable and get an ipad too. Will see what the 12 lineup brings. Battery life in the smaller devices has me thinking I would be frustrated since I've been spoilt with battery life on my android.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I really liked the SE but the battery was horrible actually, for someone who works on calls, you are lucky to make it from 8-2 without having to charge it, some that ok, me that’s not at all... also found text hard to read... switched to the iphone 11 for now....:)!
thanks for that input. That is helpful.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
The SE is the first iPhone ever bought. I have been using flagship androids. Been on a Mac for 4 years and iPad for 2 years. Recently I realized the benefits of the Mac ecosystem and hardware and the SE is by far the best phone I ever had and is hard to see how another phone can beat it.

I guess I would like to see a full screen without any bezels, for this price point though if not possible, I am totally ok with that.

It is also the first iPhone I have bought. Been using an Apple or Mac computer since 1984. I also just bought an 8th generation iPad which should be here tomorrow.

Taliosfalcon

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Coming from an s10 with a 4100 mah battery I actually get better life with the SE so I’m happy with it, 6 hours of SoT and lasts me 9 am to 9pm with around 30% left usually

• Wow
Reactions: Boyyai and JM

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
how much you guys think the iphone 12 mini is going to cost ? It can’t be anywhere near the iphone SE price

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
About a month I bought a 2020 SE 64 Gb because my 6S was feeling it's limitations (mainly only 16GB). Apple gave me $70 for my 6S which reduced the SE price to $329. My initial plan was to use the SE until I got a better idea if I wanted to go the IPHONE 12 route (6.1"). Now I'm thinking of maybe skipping the 12. IF I do, it will be the first time I didn't upgrade annually since the iPhone 3G came out (2009).

I have to admit it took some time to get use to the HOME button gain after 2 years of gestures.

• Haha
Reactions: JM

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
It is also the first iPhone I have bought. Been using an Apple or Mac computer since 1984. I also just bought an 8th generation iPad which should be here tomorrow.
Please do let me know your thoughts on the 8th gen.

In our house we've had a mini2.

When I get my iphone I will be downsizing in screen size compared to my current android. My plan is to get an ipad for myself to compensate.

Reactions: JM

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Please do let me know your thoughts on the 8th gen.

In our house we've had a mini2.

When I get my iphone I will be downsizing in screen size compared to my current android. My plan is to get an ipad for myself to compensate.

I like it. But I have nothing to compare my iPad to as this is my 1st iPad as well. I am using it to kind of replace my laptop as I use the iPad for what I used my laptop for. If we get another stimulus payment I do intend to buy a new iMac. I use the iPad in the bedroom.

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
Upgraded my old iPhone SE to the new model this week. What a difference. Not to mention that I no longer have to charge my phone 3 times a day (the battery was well and truly dead).

I do find the phone to be too large and I can't reach the top of the screen easily when using one hand. Yes I know I can tap the home screen to condense the screen but that still feels like a half baked idea to me. I really would have preferred a phone the same size as the old iPhone SE.

My only other gripe is the speaker grill on the bottom. I don't use a case or bumper on my phone (ugly things) and this means that the speaker grill rests on the finger when I hold it. It actually feels quite rough/sharp to the touch. Maybe it will become less over time or I'll simply get used to it.

Despite those two rather minor things, I'm happy with my purchase, and happy that Apple is still providing an option for people who don't want to spend an exuberant amount of money on a telephone.

paulsonj72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Upgraded my old iPhone SE to the new model this week. What a difference. Not to mention that I no longer have to charge my phone 3 times a day (the battery was well and truly dead).

I do find the phone to be too large and I can't reach the top of the screen easily when using one hand. Yes I know I can tap the home screen to condense the screen but that still feels like a half baked idea to me. I really would have preferred a phone the same size as the old iPhone SE.

My only other gripe is the speaker grill on the bottom. I don't use a case or bumper on my phone (ugly things) and this means that the speaker grill rests on the finger when I hold it. It actually feels quite rough/sharp to the touch. Maybe it will become less over time or I'll simply get used to it.

Despite those two rather minor things, I'm happy with my purchase, and happy that Apple is still providing an option for people who don't want to spend an exuberant amount of money on a telephone.

The 2nd generation SE screen in .5 smaller than my Motorola Android device but the storage is 8 times greater and I can use one hand.(My hands are really small and I also have thin fingers) I got the 128 GB model

Last edited:

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

No... can't... say it.... no... I won't... I can't....

YOU'REHOLDINGITWRONG!!!!

Ahhh, I feel better.

:D

kidding. I know what you mean I have the 7, hahah. you might get used it.

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

sahni130

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I bought one this week as a replacement/stop-gap measure for my lost XS Max but just couldn't get used to it. I traded it with my father who had an iPhone X and hated the gestures. He loves the SE because it's easier for him to use with his shaky hands- so he's apparently not pressing things he's not meaning to press and swiping all over the place he says. He also likes TouchID much better than than FaceID. the X should hold me over until the 12 comes out. But I think the SE is fantastic- super fast, great call quality, great camera- does what it needs to. I hope they continue to update it- I know my father will certainly appreciate it. If you're coming from the larger phones, battery life is certainly noticeable, especially if you actually talk on it a lot, but it's a neat little phone and there's certainly a market for it.

Reactions: jr866gooner

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
I bought one this week as a replacement/stop-gap measure for my lost XS Max but just couldn't get used to it. I traded it with my father who had an iPhone X and hated the gestures. He loves the SE because it's easier for him to use with his shaky hands- so he's apparently not pressing things he's not meaning to press and swiping all over the place he says. He also likes TouchID much better than than FaceID. the X should hold me over until the 12 comes out. But I think the SE is fantastic- super fast, great call quality, great camera- does what it needs to. I hope they continue to update it- I know my father will certainly appreciate it. If you're coming from the larger phones, battery life is certainly noticeable, especially if you actually talk on it a lot, but it's a neat little phone and there's certainly a market for it.

You got a decent deal there :) I wanted to try the XS lineup I must say, thats a generation I missed out on as my last iPhone was the 7.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
It's been a week since i received my SE 2020. I already had a chance to test the waters with an IOS 14 on SE 1st gen, so i was happy to receive SE2 with ios13 on it. I am not planning to update OS soon so far.
Have watched one video from youtube and tweaked ios13 settings for a maximum battery life.
This SE is really great - it made my Apple itch to calm down. If i was waiting for iphone 12 5.4" before, now i am ready to wait until next generations. I really like the blazing fast apple pay. I just go to checkout and put my hand into my pocket => don't even look at it => put with finger on home button above POS terminal for less than a second = i am ready to go. I don't even have to look at the screen itself.
It is really fast, battery is good for intended use case, grip of the phone is nice due to non-slipping glass back. Overall the best phone you could buy at the moment even if iphone 12 comes out, since the price is also a great factor towards cheaper SE.
PS. I forgot to mention a great look of it with Apple leather case from ip7 (ebay $10). This combo looks awesome and feels premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: remington79

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Only downside is I cannot play the mp3 files I download on internet. I think I should be given a freedom to do this so.

You can do it, but in a roundabout way via your computer:

1) download your mp3s;
2) import them into iTunes (PC) or Music (Mac);
3) synch them with your iPhone through your computer and you will find them in the Music app. ?

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I miss my 11 pro max. compared to that SE is horrible. I have to charge 3 times in a day! and also camera is meh which is supposed to be :/

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I miss my 11 pro max. compared to that SE is horrible. I have to charge 3 times in a day! and also camera is meh which is supposed to be :/
yes, that is why i went to the iphone 11 until i deiced if i will go with a 12 :)!

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
As opposed to other users, mine consumes 20-25% of battery in 24 hours. Basically it could last me 4 days, but i charge it at 50% every 2 days. Screen time is 30 min. LTE working hard, since only 1 bar is working at my home.
This is true for WFH environment, where i spend most of the time on my laptop. I also do have an iPad.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington

I was thinking of going the other direction- I have an 11 and can’t stand how big it is, and really miss Touch ID. Do you find the 11 to be far superior in your overall experience?

Reactions: jimmy_uk

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
After dragging around my iPhone 11 for almost 4 months, I went back to my SE (1st gen !).
I have limited needs for a mobile phone anyway.
The 11 is too large and too heavy for my taste, and also hard to pick up from a table top due to its rounded edges.

Quite happy with my downgrade ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.