Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Do you guys think there will be a new iphone SE next year ?

Yes. It’s been speculated the ‘SE Plus’ will launch Q1/Q2 2021. Unless something changes in Apple trajectory, I’d say this is fairly concrete. It only makes sense to offer a larger successor for an entry-level iPhone paired with the 4.7 SE.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes. It’s been speculated the ‘SE Plus’ will launch Q1/Q2 2021. Unless something changes in Apple trajectory, I’d say this is fairly concrete. It only makes sense to offer a larger successor for an entry-level iPhone paired with the 4.7 SE.

All I can say is why? A larger iPhone SE is the iPhone 11 basically. They're "close enough" in price that I don't think there's room for another model in between them. I very much doubt apple are going to go the same route as Samsung and have many different models when 3 will do.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
All I can say is why? A larger iPhone SE is the iPhone 11 basically. They're "close enough" in price that I don't think there's room for another model in between them. I very much doubt apple are going to go the same route as Samsung and have many different models when 3 will do.
I actually think the SE plus will be the iPhone 11 with bumped up chipset and cost cutting measures so they can sell it at greater reduced pricing than usual.

Right now it's a $200 jump from iPhone SE2 ($399) to iPhone XR ($599). Apple could be aiming to have something in the $499 range.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
That price jump is already roughly in line with previous iPhone -> iPhone Plus jumps though?
The 6 and 6+ were $649 and $749 respectively. I think disparity's between iPhone/iPhone Plus is typically just $100-130.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m glad there is a budget model as it got me my first iPhone fairly inexpensively.

I think Apple has the understanding that there always needs to be an entry-level/‘budget‘ model iPhone with smart phones have become exponentially expensive over the last five years, and if Apple is planning on charging $1000 for a smart phone when majority of consumers probably have no desire to pay that price for technology they may/may not utilize, and there always needs to be that ‘Division‘ of having a lower entry phone, but still offer an adequate camera, up-to-date processor, etc.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I was able to pic up an SE yesterday at Best Buy impressive little device, speedy, easy to read on, fits anywhere..maybe i wont need that big 6.9 after all, if it ever comes out!

Reactions: na1577 and throAU

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have been very happy with my 2020 SE, specifically the size. With that said, depending on the price, I will probably trade it in and get the 5.4" iPhone 12. It should be slightly smaller and pack in a better screen.

Reactions: kp98077

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The SE with the A13 is faster in performance than the XR’s A12 chip, but i wouldnt say it blows it away though, the A12 is still a very powerful chip.

True, I was using "blows away" as that was the terminology the OP used.

Either way, the 2020 SE is significantly faster. It along with the 11 is pretty much the fastest phone on the market.

edit:
I'm really liking my SE, but can see how some who make heavy use of it for games, etc. or are away from power for a long time might want a bigger device with bigger battery. But I've solved that by buying some wireless power banks for myself and the GF. Wireless charging, 10,000 mAh, one of them should fully charge my MBA, phone and iPad in a single charge.

Will test when I go camping next weekend. lol.

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
True, I was using "blows away" as that was the terminology the OP used.

Either way, the 2020 SE is significantly faster. It along with the 11 is pretty much the fastest phone on the market.

edit:
I'm really liking my SE, but can see how some who make heavy use of it for games, etc. or are away from power for a long time might want a bigger device with bigger battery. But I've solved that by buying some wireless power banks for myself and the GF. Wireless charging, 10,000 mAh, one of them should fully charge my MBA, phone and iPad in a single charge.

Will test when I go camping next weekend. lol.

Yes I’m with you on the SE, it really is a great phone. Have to be frugal with media consumption though like you said to conserve the battery. I am concerned how the battery will perform on iOS 14 though, with its widgets particularly.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Do you guys think there will be a new iphone SE next year ?

Aside from the much speculated SE+, no.

The iPhone SE is basically the iPhone 8s. It's a spec bump to an existing model that Apple can produce cheaply using an established production line. By transplanting the A13 SoC into the body of the iPhone 8, Apple has extended the shelf life of that design for at least 2 more product cycles. That's really the MO of the iPhone SE. It's more of a production line and supply chain play.

I would guess that the next SE will transplant the most current processor into maybe the upcoming iPhone 12 body. Who knows if Apple will again wait 4 years before introducing another SE model.

Reactions: blueflower
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.