Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've not noticed any major battery issues but.. I'm picky with my apps, turn off most background stuff and don't use it as a gaming platform during the day.

If you're finding battery life an issue a wireless charge pad at work would be a sound investment. Charge times are pretty good even over wireless charging.

I also plug in for my commute via CarPlay, so my phone gets topped off a lot.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I am very happy with my 2020 SE. Got a screaming deal ($200 via WalMart). Loving the Touch ID right now. The Camera is great for my purposes. Two thumbs up for me.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I've not noticed any major battery issues but.. I'm picky with my apps, turn off most background stuff and don't use it as a gaming platform during the day.

If you're finding battery life an issue a wireless charge pad at work would be a sound investment. Charge times are pretty good even over wireless charging.

I also plug in for my commute via CarPlay, so my phone gets topped off a lot.

Yes the SE is not designed for heavy multimedia consumption like tick tock, instagram reels, utube and gaming. The A13 can handle all of this with ease, but not the battery due to its size so you have to be a bit conservative with it. One good thing about the small battery though, is that it charges very quickly so it all balances out i guess.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
Still very happy with mine. :) Until Apple releases a phone without the notch, I’ll use the SE.
For me it’s not the notch I want a phone with some form of Touch ID. I don’t care what anyone says I’m not comfortable with the IR or r whatever it is shining in my eyes every time I unlock my phone. Plus I don’t want to hold my phone up to face level to unlock it.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
For me it’s not the notch I want a phone with some form of Touch ID. I don’t care what anyone says I’m not comfortable with the IR or r whatever it is shining in my eyes every time I unlock my phone. Plus I don’t want to hold my phone up to face level to unlock it.
Agreed. The IR light in the eyes is one of two reasons is why I want Touch ID to still be a thing as well.

The notch remains a huge distraction for me though.

Reactions: remington79

abelpinate

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
So you mean this is possible but difficult. If so , any instructions which I can follow?

There are ways, paying an app called Wondershare or something like that, that will backup all to your computer, then, will do something in the logs, and then send the backup to the iPhone. It's cost near 50$ as far I can remember and you know what? I exported all those important chats and start a new life with this phone.

Not bringing stuff from android and that stuff... Maybe could be a good conversation to save, but...

Reactions: Veerasayz

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
There are ways, paying an app called Wondershare or something like that, that will backup all to your computer, then, will do something in the logs, and then send the backup to the iPhone. It's cost near 50$ as far I can remember and you know what? I exported all those important chats and start a new life with this phone.

Not bringing stuff from android and that stuff... Maybe could be a good conversation to save, but...
Thanks for sharing the details. I don’t want to spend 50$ on an app. I can live without those old messages.

Reactions: abelpinate

abelpinate

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Yeah, I thought the same...
Oh, and don't let Ws put your photos on "Photos" app, since will go to your iCloud account. And ig you go to sett. Apple ID - iCloud - manage... - backups - this phone, you can deselect Ws there since you're doing a backup.

In fact, I deselect all round there. I don't need Twitter backup for example, or FB... all that it's in their own cloud.

What I don't know if those backups are for information if you need to restart your phone and keep all like was left-.

Reactions: Veerasayz

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
Yeah, I thought the same...
Oh, and don't let Ws put your photos on "Photos" app, since will go to your iCloud account. And ig you go to sett. Apple ID - iCloud - manage... - backups - this phone, you can deselect Ws there since you're doing a backup.

In fact, I deselect all round there. I don't need Twitter backup for example, or FB... all that it's in their own cloud.

What I don't know if those backups are for information if you need to restart your phone and keep all like was left-.
Sorry, didn’t understand. If I deselect WhatsApp from saving the data to iCloud, then I will loose the data if I want to reinstall app for any reason or if I want to set up my phone on a new iPhone in case if I buy.

abelpinate

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Sorry, didn’t understand. If I deselect WhatsApp from saving the data to iCloud, then I will loose the data if I want to reinstall app for any reason or if I want to set up my phone on a new iPhone in case if I buy.

Not, because in the main iCloud settings you have a WhatsApp backup right there. That's the backup.
The other one it's like a second (an unnecessary, I think) backup, so I deselected because I have the right one in the first iCloud page.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
Not, because in the main iCloud settings you have a WhatsApp backup right there. That's the backup.
The other one it's like a second (an unnecessary, I think) backup, so I deselected because I have the right one in the first iCloud page.
Got it thanks a lot.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes the SE is not designed for heavy multimedia consumption like tick tock, instagram reels, utube and gaming. The A13 can handle all of this with ease, but not the battery due to its size so you have to be a bit conservative with it. One good thing about the small battery though, is that it charges very quickly so it all balances out i guess.

Yeah, the A13 being fast also means the machine can "race to sleep" and not get hot doing "normal" things like web browsing, photo/video stuff, etc. It wakes up, rips through the workload fast and goes back to idle.

If I want to do mobile gaming I have an iPad for that. My phone is mostly a tool for business and occasional social media device for when I've got some free time away from the desk/house.

Reactions: snipr125

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Currently on the 11 Pro Max but hate the size so much, it does not fit anywhere and I have to hold it in my hand everywhere I go.

Thoughts on switching from it to the 2020 SE?
I got SE2020 for Touch ID, but eventually the screen was just too small, so I went back to 11PM despite FaceID and masks. Wish they would have just had the SE2020+ along side the SE2020

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Power bricks are not 100% efficient.

You pretty much get the same charging speed with 12W as you do with 18W. The iPhone chargers are 5W so they're quite slow but a 12W iPad charger will do just as well as an 18W USB PD charger for the SE2.

These tests are from a completely discharged state (ran Geekbench battery benchmark to drain) and then plugged into the respective chargers checking for battery percentage every 15 minutes.

charging-test-iphone-se-5w-12w-18w-30w-png.917126

Power consumption measurements were from the wall and I expect these are around 85-95% efficient.

Anker 12W
USB-A to Lightning

charging-test-anker-12w-png.917127

Anker 18W
USB-C to Lightning

charging-test-anker-18w-png.917128
Yes, I tested it maxed at 12.8W, and that's the same I have read

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Yea when I did my usual test of Flashlight, GPS, Videos on Cellular full brightness, it didn't last long at all. I did it again on the SE2020 and 11PM at the same time, and the 11PM still had 2/3 battery when the SE2020 kicked the bucket

Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yea when I did my usual test of Flashlight, GPS, Videos on Cellular full brightness, it didn't last long at all. I did it again on the SE2020 and 11PM at the same time, and the 11PM still had 2/3 battery when the SE2020 kicked the bucket

Compwiz, man that is one brutal test lol!!! But yes it’s a shame Apple did not increase the battery size to about 2200 mh in the SE like the upcoming iPhone 12 5.4 will have (which is smaller than the SE in chassis size). If they did this, the SE would have battery life proportionately closer to the iPhone 11 series and really make use of the A13, but alas they didn’t probably to keeps costs down and maybe not to cannibalise their more expensive iphones.

libertysat

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
I loved everything about my 8+ except for the 'pocketability'
Too bad & heavy

Traded it in for the SE and am pleased
The battery life isn't as long as the 8+ but not a problem for me

Others talk about speed
I can't tell any difference what so ever between my 6s and the 8+ nor the SE
They all exactly same when on wifi
I don't game so maybe that is where the speed comes in

If I had do overs, I would do it again...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

Well that's 100% to be expected - essentially given the cell modem, flashlight, gps all use the same battery on both devices, all you're really doing there is a raw battery capacity test. You can get a pretty good idea of how that will go by comparing the on paper battery specs.

You're never going to get the same battery capacity in a phone that is half the physical size....

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

The big thing I notice is scrolling through web content, a bunch of websites I use were starting to make my 7 get very hot and/or freeze intermittently when using Safari. The SE 2020 remains cool to the touch and is so much smoother.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
[QUOTE="libertysat, post: 28872559, member: 511229]

Others talk about speed

If I had do overs, I would do it again...
[/QUOTE]

I got all three of these iphones, and yes in day to day usage ios runs pretty much the same on all three which is a testament to how well ios is optimised. You can use a 5 year old Iphone 6s today with no real issues at all. Its in the more cpu intensive tasks like photo editing, video rendering, gaming etc that you will see the speed differences, bit normal tasks are pretty much the same. Also each iteration of ios becomes more taxing on the cpu (especially the upcoming ios 14 with its widgets), so this is where you also benefit from having a newer cpu like the A13 in the SE.

Reactions: tt061282
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.