Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I also bought mine at launch and it’s been good to me. I upgraded from a 6s and my wife from a LG so the upgrade was noticed to me. The battery was starting to go on both of our old phones so now we can make it most of the day which is nice.
I noticed an improvement in the camera over the 6s. I do miss the long press reply on texts from the lock screen though.

I still have the 6S and I'm considering either the SE or XR. But now I don't know if I should get one now or wait for the next iPhone announcement. Most were expecting a new iPhone to be announced a few days ago but that did not happen. My 6S battery health is 77% and says "service".

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I still have the 6S and I'm considering either the SE or XR. But now I don't know if I should get one now or wait for the next iPhone announcement. Most were expecting a new iPhone to be announced a few days ago but that did not happen. My 6S battery health is 77% and says "service".
I’ve been hearing the phones are going to be announced next month. I forget which X model it was compared to (X, XR or XS) but the SE had a better camera when I saw the side by side comparisons of real photos. But with the 12s supposed to be announced next month I’d wait to see what comes out, and the price might come down on 11s.

gary77

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2017
London England
I have the SE upgraded from an 8 due to my partners iPhone 6 was on its last legs kept the same 64gb model which i regret slightly as it wouldn't of cost much more to double the storage but i can manage with 64gb easily enough

As i already owned a 8 i have the wireless charging and fast charging plugs already so there wasn't a big jump for me in terms of new features but it's perfect for me very happy with the device

Reactions: tt061282

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I have the SE upgraded from an 8 due to my partners iPhone 6 was on its last legs kept the same 64gb model which i regret slightly as it wouldn't of cost much more to double the storage but i can manage with 64gb easily enough

As i already owned a 8 i have the wireless charging and fast charging plugs already so there wasn't a big jump for me in terms of new features but it's perfect for me very happy with the device

Yes for sure I agree. Going from iPhone 8 to iPhone SE doesn’t feel like a huge jump or upgrade. However, I feel like it will become more noticeable in 2021 or 2022 if you keep your phones that long.

What I like about the SE is what a lot of people hate... the form factor. “It’s been around since 2014” they’ll say, but honestly the iPhone 8 and SE are the most refined of the “classic” form factor.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
What I like about the SE is what a lot of people hate... the form factor. “It’s been around since 2014” they’ll say, but honestly the iPhone 8 and SE are the most refined of the “classic” form factor.

I think I'm most curious about the 5.4" and the 6.7" iPhone 12 variants, not sure I wanna go back to 6.1" after having an XR. It was fine but seemed like it was big enough, I might as well just go the full mile. Or downsize.

But if neither price point or features appeals to me, the SE2 remains a great holdover device. I've been happy with it for a good part of the year. and where the battery lacks, the 7 Smart Battery case has worked wonders

abelpinate

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Anyone has upgraded to iOS14?
Mine it's eating the battery incredibly and I don't play games, videos, neither a long period in Instagram, and with only 45 days with the phone, the battery health nows say 99%... I mean... 45 days?

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
Mine it's eating the battery incredibly and I don't play games, videos, neither a long period in Instagram, and with only 45 days with the phone, the battery health nows say 99%... I mean... 45 days?
Don’t worry much. It takes a couple of days to stabilise battery performance after installing a new OS version. Just let it go.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020

it’s a budget phone, my 11 pro is 100% after a year, even my wife’s Xr 1 1/2 years old is 98%.

Aratim

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2020
happy SE2020 user!
Switched from 1 generation iPhone SE to iPhone 11, then to iPhone 11 Pro, back to iPhone SE 1st and then to iPhone SE 2020.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Mine is at 98% since I got it in June. My 11Pro is at 97% but I got that one last year! I’m not using my SE that much but I do forget to put it on the charger until it’s down to 18% from just sitting around. I’m not using many third party apps on either iPhone. I got iOS 14 but don’t see a particular drain problem yet.

Reactions: abelpinate

abelpinate

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2020
Yeah, it's a budget phone but hey... are 450$, that's a lot for me in my country (were a minimum salary it's less than 3$ a month... aka Venezuela), and it's a new phone! We aren't talking about a 65$ phone.

Anyways... the 1% drop health juts after the iOS14 looks "normal" and I wanna think it's a recalibration needed, I don't know... since I plug the phone when reach 20% at night. Just in one or two cases, the battery has drop from 15% in a call and I didn't notice just at the end of it.

Well, in any case, I share here how the iOS14 doesn't work in the same way. The best battery day I got was last Saturday. You can see always use 80% of the battery (charging at 20%) and then I install the iOS the Wednesday and PLOP, look at that!

An obvious hour less... even worst after 13.7. With it (13.7), I really felt the battery was good enough but now I'm in WhatsApp and I can see the 3-5% drop in less than 10 min. I'm always in 25% of brightness fixed. Since day one. By quarantine, I'm in home, I'm not outside so I turn off automatic brightness.

Ok, it's a budget phone again, but I'm not expecting a worst activity than my 4ys old Samsung J2 Prime. Even that battery I feel can do better.

How was doing ALL the people during the iPhone 6-8 era with that battery?

Look those image:
=80% iOS13.7 6:14hs
+80% iOS14.0 3:18hs
=80% iOS14.0 5:14hs (almost here give me two hours more, thanks the universe)...

The Monday-tuesday I was busy enough in the laptop, so I don't reach the phone quiet a lot, but Wednesday in the early morning I install the update, use lees that 50% (bussy again) and look at that.

IMG_0394.png
IMG_0395.png
IMG_0396.png

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How was doing ALL the people during the iPhone 6-8 era with that battery?
Downside of a small phone: poor battery life. Personally, I only log maybe 1-2 hours onscreen time on my phone a day. Often less. It's the iPad that gets majority of use. The SE has actually been an improvement in terms of standby power draw compared to my older 6 and 7 (even prior to the battery degrading).

Look those image:
=80% iOS13.7 6:14hs
+80% iOS14.0 3:18hs
=80% iOS14.0 5:14hs (almost here give me two hours more, thanks the universe)...
Workload after an update tends to be much heavier than normal with indexing, app updates, etc. Give it a week and see if battery life is still as bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: abelpinate

Aratim

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2020
are you gonna try an iPhone 12?
No, I don't think so. I am more than satisfied with the SE2020.
Sure the 5.4 sounds interesting, but the SE is absolutely enough for my needs.
Note: The 11 Pro is an absolute world class iPhone, but I noticed that I don't need most of the features. The 11 was simply too big.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
No, I don't think so. I am more than satisfied with the SE2020.
Sure the 5.4 sounds interesting, but the SE is absolutely enough for my needs.
Note: The 11 Pro is an absolute world class iPhone, but I noticed that I don't need most of the features. The 11 was simply too big.
I'm loving all these good SE2020 reports. I'm upgrading from 7, and it's good to know that if I don't want to spend $650/$750 US (on the 5.4" 12) then the SE will be a fine choice. (I'm not loving the low battery performance, though, which is one big reason for the upgrade from a 7... there's been too many instances where I was under 20% and had not finished working.)

Reactions: Aratim

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

My iPhone 8 was at 83% and I wanted to avoid a battery replacement, so I got the SE.

I paid US$150 extra for the 256 GB model to match my iPhone 8, but I don't have any payments for the phone otherwise, as Sprint/T-Mobile were having a Memorial Day deal.

If you just want a more powerful 6S, it's perfect for that.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I think I'm most curious about the 5.4" and the 6.7" iPhone 12 variants, not sure I wanna go back to 6.1" after having an XR. It was fine but seemed like it was big enough, I might as well just go the full mile. Or downsize.

But if neither price point or features appeals to me, the SE2 remains a great holdover device. I've been happy with it for a good part of the year. and where the battery lacks, the 7 Smart Battery case has worked wonders

This is exactly how I’m looking at it as well. While I have jumped around to my XS and my X a little bit as well as an iPhone 11 since the SE was released... I’m comfortable using the iPhone SE (it is the newest iPhone available after all ?).

I’m gonna look at the iPhone 12 5.4” and see what I think about it. The benchmarks that I’ve seen for the A14 have not been huge jumps from the A13. We also all know the A13 will still be a monster chip in 2022. I bought a carbon fiber skin for my SE so I’m using it ceaseless and that’s how I like using my phones anyway.

The only device I would upgrade to in this years lineup would be the 5.4” iPhone... the rest I have zero interest in at ALL. I don’t care for the 6.1” size.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
I'm loving all these good SE2020 reports. I'm upgrading from 7, and it's good to know that if I don't want to spend $650/$750 US (on the 5.4" 12) then the SE will be a fine choice. (I'm not loving the low battery performance, though, which is one big reason for the upgrade from a 7... there's been too many instances where I was under 20% and had not finished working.)

I’m gonna be honest about the way I see the battery life. I’m sitting with 49% battery after taking the phone off the charger at about 8:30 AM. So over 14 hours off the charger and I’m at 49%. I haven’t used it a whole lot today, but enough.

I believe it has better battery life then the iPhone 7 I used to have. Maybe it’s just me idk but I have had no issues out of the battery yet.

Reactions: Aratim and JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I’m gonna be honest about the way I see the battery life. I’m sitting with 49% battery after taking the phone off the charger at about 8:30 AM. So over 14 hours off the charger and I’m at 49%. I haven’t used it a whole lot today, but enough.

I believe it has better battery life then the iPhone 7 I used to have. Maybe it’s just me idk but I have had no issues out of the battery yet.
What's your screen on time for last 24hr? And last ten days?

my average for ten days is 5hr 15m
With my last 24hr at 4h 9m

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Same. There's no wifi in the office and I get 1-2 bars cellular so even if I'm a very light phone user, the radios have to work pretty hard.

Back when my iPhone 7 was new, it was usually around 30% when I get home iirc. With the SE, it's at 60%.

I recently got a wireless charging dock for the office though. Nowadays, I've been charging it intermittently during the day and it's usually at 90-100% when I get home.

• Love
Reactions: tt061282 and JM

rami.deltoro

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2020
The SE is the first iPhone ever bought. I have been using flagship androids. Been on a Mac for 4 years and iPad for 2 years. Recently I realized the benefits of the Mac ecosystem and hardware and the SE is by far the best phone I ever had and is hard to see how another phone can beat it.

I guess I would like to see a full screen without any bezels, for this price point though if not possible, I am totally ok with that.

Reactions: freeagent

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
What's your screen on time for last 24hr? And last ten days?

my average for ten days is 5hr 15m
With my last 24hr at 4h 9m

I’m getting 6 hours 1 min over the last 10 days

My last 24 that I just checked is actually 6 hours 47 minutes. If I can get over 5 hours of SOT then the device definitely has a good enough battery in my opinion.

I know for sure that back in 2016, 2017 when I had the iPhone 7 with a bigger battery that I didn’t get near 6 hours of SOT. If I remember correctly I remember it being around 4 and a half hours or So. I know the SE has a “smaller” battery but I think the A13 is well optimized

Reactions: JM
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.