Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
What’s your basis for saying that 15.5 included a fix?

I wasn’t saying or making the statement or affirmation that Apple addressed the issue on this update. Maybe I expressed myself wrong and some of you misunderstood me.

I was expressing the high probabilities -thus, should, conditional-, that Apple could have addressed the issue on the latest version of their operating system. Two reasons come to my mind: 1st: this is a major update release (it’s not a minor update like 15.4.1), and 2nd, if I recall correctly, the iPhone SE was released with iOS 15.4; since then, they have gathered a lot of diagnostic reports -from people who allows Apple to collect them-, and for iOS 15.5 they should -again, should- have fixed a major problem that is affecting one of their most recently released hardware.

That’s why I’m asking if they have updated their phone, and I’ll be asking if they are noticing this bug with 15.5. I guess we will know that soon.

But, to answer your question: no, I don’t have data to support that Apple has indeed solved the issue with 15.5, neither I was stating it. Maybe I should have used “could” instead of “should”, in my mother tongue those have similar meaning.

Last edited:

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Just had my 3rd Panic since owning (running 15.5)

iPhone was idle

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012

iPhone was idle

Thanks for updating, this would appear to confirm that 15.5 did not include a fix. In any event, it seems so widely reported, that I bet if/when they fix it, the change log will show it.

Reactions: CE3

kreez

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2022
After facing panic problem every week for a month.

I got new phone as replacement from Apple Store.

I used new phone for 7 days and the first panic occurred.

From my curious, I turning off 'Raise to wake' & 'Reachability' in the Settings. It did not panic for 9 days now.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

iPhone was idle
Thank you for reporting!! This confirms Apple didn’t fix it on 15.5, I told you that we would know soon.

See? This is what I meant, Apple should’ve fixed it with 15.5, but strangely enough, they didn’t, and this discourages me from acquiring one myself. Let’s hope they eventually fix it, rather sooner than later.

phositadc

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
After facing panic problem every week for a month.

I got new phone as replacement from Apple Store.

I used new phone for 7 days and the first panic occurred.

From my curious, I turning off 'Raise to wake' & 'Reachability' in the Settings. It did not panic for 9 days now.

I always had those settings turned off, and I had panics with them off.

Reactions: 5105973

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
there are several news about ios 15.6 beta on various websites in the end it is known if it is a software or hardware failure? I see new comments from people who have changed it and it continues to happen what do you think?

1652907895431.jpeg

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Is it though? Besides this thread, and a few even smaller ones, I'm not seeing much about this at all. Not trying to sound snarky - legitimately asking.
Maybe MacRumors will write an article if this issue persists. Right now (with 3 panics in 2 months) it’s only been a very minor annoyance to me. That being said, random unexplained kernel panics on brand new iPhones isn’t nothing, so hopefully it’s a software issue that will be patched soon.

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
Maybe MacRumors will write an article if this issue persists. Right now (with 3 panics in 2 months) it’s only been a very minor annoyance to me. That being said, random unexplained kernel panics on brand new iPhones isn’t nothing, so hopefully it’s a software issue that will be patched soon.
Hi, what do you mean by:

That being said, random unexplained kernel panics on brand new iPhones isn’t nothing

I did not understand well sorry, I use Google translate

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hi, what do you mean by:

That being said, random unexplained kernel panics on brand new iPhones isn’t nothing

I did not understand well sorry, I use Google translate

He probably meant that, despite saying that he only got 3 reboots in 2 months, it’s not something Apple should ignore because it is still a problem occurring on a brand new device that should be addressed and fixed as soon as possible.

Que a pesar de pasarle solamente 3 veces en 2 meses, reinicios aleatorios sin explicación aparente en dispositivos nuevos no es poca cosa.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Yes, even though it hasn’t bothered me much and I’m still quite happy I switched to the SE3, this issue needs to be addressed and fixed by Apple as soon as possible.

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
Yes, even though it hasn’t bothered me much and I’m still quite happy I switched to the SE3, this issue needs to be addressed and fixed by Apple as soon as possible.
He probably meant that, despite saying that he only got 3 reboots in 2 months, it’s not something Apple should ignore because it is still a problem occurring on a brand new device that should be addressed and fixed as soon as possible.

Que a pesar de pasarle solamente 3 veces en 2 meses, reinicios aleatorios sin explicación aparente en dispositivos nuevos no es poca cosa.
I think the same as you, I think Apple should fix it as soon as possible, do you think it's 100% software or could it be hardware? there is beta 15.6, if it were software I hope they fix it in that version

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I think the same as you, I think Apple should fix it as soon as possible, do you think it's 100% software or could it be hardware? there is beta 15.6, if it were software I hope they fix it in that version
I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I have no idea.

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
I’m hoping it’s a software issue, but I have no idea.
the iphone se 2022 is the same as the 2020 and the iphone 8 and I think the 7, internally the motherboard has the same design it would be very rare if they soldered something wrong or some component, in a new iphone in design it could happen but in one that It is the same as the previous ones, in my opinion, a fault like this in the factory would be very rare, they already have experience with this model, and if that had happened there would be a big problem in sales/repairs/replacements, and surely 100% of those manufactured would be the same. same batch, sales are not equal to iphone 13 compared to se, a lot of money lost by apple if there was a factory failure

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
the iphone se 2022 is the same as the 2020 and the iphone 8 and I think the 7, internally the motherboard has the same design it would be very rare if they soldered something wrong or some component, in a new iphone in design it could happen but in one that It is the same as the previous ones, in my opinion, a fault like this in the factory would be very rare, they already have experience with this model, and if that had happened there would be a big problem in sales/repairs/replacements, and surely 100% of those manufactured would be the same. same batch, sales are not equal to iphone 13 compared to se, a lot of money lost by apple if there was a factory failure
Well it certainly wouldn’t be the first time there’s been a hardware issue with an Apple product that required a repair program or replacement. And it’s not exactly the same as previous models internally - there’s a new modem and a new chip inside.

I’m still optimistic it’s a software bug, but it’s definitely odd that these random kernel panics only seem to be happening on one iPhone model.

Last edited:

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
Well it certainly wouldn’t be the first time there’s been a hardware issue with an Apple product that required a repair program or replacement. And it’s not exactly the same as previous models internally - there’s a new modem and a new chip inside.

I’m still optimistic it’s a software bug, but it’s definitely odd that these random kernel panics only seem to be happening on one iPhone model.
According to what I saw on the intrrnet, when it is hardware, it gives kernel panic every 3 minutes, if they were welding or some other component. but it happens randomly every x days, they commented that it is something of the ARKit but I don't understand. Assuming that it is hardware, it should happen very often and when putting the fingerprint it fails. Just as if it were due to heat, the cpu would fail using it, but using it does not happen, it only happens when unlocking. I would not like a repair, it would not be closed the same, they can even scratch it and a replacement is a refurbished, hopefully it would be software, it would be my first iPhone, if it were hardware, what a disappointment and bad taste
Besides, that would mean staying days without the phone.

thejavigames

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2022
España
I have not had any kernel panics since Apple replaced my phone 2 weeks ago.

Zero.
From the first kernel panic to the second, 2 weeks passed, now it hasn't happened to me for 9 days. That it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean anything. On this page a user changed it 5 times and it kept happening. It's random, it may not happen to you in another 2 weeks or it may be 5 minutes from now. looking at apple's history with iphone 6 and 12 repairs due to factory problems, they are batches from x months to x month, not x units. So I see the hardware failure as unlikely and more than it gives an ARKit error, which is a kind of api that remains without response for seconds and crashes. Looking at the 3-min kernels, they usually give a missing or failure error, etc.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022
wow, I never had a kernel panic on my iPhone nor iPad. I had some on my Mac but thats to be expected as macOS is more open.

Maybe @CE3 should get the iPhone replaced by Apple as any iPhone should work at all times. It's also weird that Apple logs show the issue as fixed but that user and so far the only user in the thread with 15.5 do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.