Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loosey101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Just got my iPhone SE today. Was messing around and noticed that I cannot long press on the lock screen to enter the ‘quick reply’ for messages.

I know that 3D Touch is not present, but I’ve tried multiple times to get this to work and it’s not doing anything.

I’ve factory reset the device and it still isn’t working, anyone else?

Loosey101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2015
Weird. I guess I'll submit a bug ticket to let them know. Tried everything to get it to work, but looks like it's a software bug. I find it weird that they also removed tap to wake up on this phone, given that it's possible on the iPhone XR and 11.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Weird. I guess I'll submit a bug ticket to let them know. Tried everything to get it to work, but looks like it's a software bug. I find it weird that they also removed tap to wake up on this phone, given that it's possible on the iPhone XR and 11.
XR and 11 don't have a home button. Tap to wake was never on iPhones with home buttons without a jailbreak.

Jgrahamiii

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2020
I also cannot use a long press to copy words in the Amazon App. For example can’t copy a tracking number from order area or part of a product description. Can do no problem with iPhone 8. I’m sure this is a related issue and not likely limited to Amazon app.

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
I saw a YouTube video where the insides of the SE2 were examined and the hardware for the 3D Touch is not present on the SE2 - also a touch pad is missing under the screen glass of the SE2 - the iPhone 8 screen glass has the touch pad, and the glass will fit the SE2, but the 3D Touch will still not work.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I submitted a bug report for this. This is one of my greatest missed features from my 7 Plus. I really wanna reply from the lock screen again without having to swipe

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I also cannot use a long press to copy words in the Amazon App. For example can’t copy a tracking number from order area or part of a product description. Can do no problem with iPhone 8. I’m sure this is a related issue and not likely limited to Amazon app.

I saw a YouTube video where the insides of the SE2 were examined and the hardware for the 3D Touch is not present on the SE2 - also a touch pad is missing under the screen glass of the SE2 - the iPhone 8 screen glass has the touch pad, and the glass will fit the SE2, but the 3D Touch will still not work.

I submitted a bug report for this. This is one of my greatest missed features from my 7 Plus. I really wanna reply from the lock screen again without having to swipe

3D Touch was removed from XR onwards. iPhone 8 / XS generation were the last to get support for that.

This is not a bug. Not everything works exactly the same way with the new world of long tap / short tap vs how it was with 3D Touch.

Reactions: JPack

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
3D Touch was removed from XR onwards. iPhone 8 / XS generation were the last to get support for that.

This is not a bug. Not everything works exactly the same way with the new world of long tap / short tap vs how it was with 3D Touch.

So you're saying that on other non-3D touch phones, you have to swipe to reply to a message on the lock screen? I was told that you can long press on those phones, but long press does nothing on the new SE.

Edit: On this site it says you can press and hold on a message to reply to it. https://www.iphonelife.com/content/...fications-lock-screen-without-3d-touch-iphone

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
So you're saying that on other non-3D touch phones, you have to swipe to reply to a message on the lock screen? I was told that you can long press on those phones, but long press does nothing on the new SE.

Edit: On this site it says you can press and hold on a message to reply to it. https://www.iphonelife.com/content/...fications-lock-screen-without-3d-touch-iphone

I wasn’t specifically talking about the message response bit but in general long touch doesn’t work everywhere how 3D Touch used to work.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
the general consensus is that this is a software bug.

Not according to Apple.

Touch and hold is available on most devices that support iOS 13 or iPadOS. On iPhone SE (2nd generation), you'll need to swipe left on the notification, then tap View to reply to a message from the Lock screen.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Not according to Apple.

Touch and hold is available on most devices that support iOS 13 or iPadOS. On iPhone SE (2nd generation), you'll need to swipe left on the notification, then tap View to reply to a message from the Lock screen.
This is ridiculous. Why make this omission...?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not according to Apple.

There you have it, good find:

"* Touch and hold is available on most devices that support iOS 13 or iPadOS. On iPhone SE (2nd generation), you'll need to swipe left on the notification, then tap View to reply to a message from the Lock screen."

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts

"* Touch and hold is available on most devices that support iOS 13 or iPadOS. On iPhone SE (2nd generation), you'll need to swipe left on the notification, then tap View to reply to a message from the Lock screen."
Just the absolute strangest omission to make. I can't think of any hardware or software reason for this change. It's not even something cool that they could use to upsell people to the more expensive phones. An annoying, pointless change that's kind of a middle finger to those who bought the SE. They had to go out of their way to do this....

Yes especially since the 8 can do it right? And they said the same thing happened on the XR which was fixed by a software update.
Yup. Incredibly weird to me. My girlfriend was wondering why she couldn't perform this function on her SE (and note that I recommended it to her). It is downgraded functionality from her iPhone 7...

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
It specifically mentions SE which is in fact the newest iPhone and given that the long-press doesn't require any specialized hardware maybe that's a hint for some new long-press feature coming in iOS14 ?

Not according to Apple.

Reactions: compwiz1202

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

this makes no sense. They meant to make it a pain in the ass? What benefit would they get from taking that feature away that’s on basically every other non-3D-touch device?

edit: does anyone think there might be a chance that apple is aware of this bug and since it’s not yet fixed, they have to put that disclaimer on their site so that people with SEs will know how to reply to messages at least for the time being? When/if they fix it, they’ll just update that page.

kht410

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2016
Not according to Apple.

This is stupid as hell. The iPads never had 3D touch and this touch-and-hold feature is always there.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
This is stupid as hell. The iPads never had 3D touch and this touch-and-hold feature is always there.

Yeah what purpose does blocking it on 1 device have??? It would be so simple to enable it as it’s probably just a flag somewhere. I think they goofed and used the iPhone 8 iOS for the SE and since the iPhone 8 doesn’t need tap to hold, now the SE can’t do it either.

By the way, if you turn off 3D Touch on any iPhone, it does not enable tap to hold on the lock screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.