Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Because Touch and Hold everywhere else, like on the Home screen, is the only way to "right click."

On the Lock screen, you have a choice to "right click" by swiping left. Apple offers two methods for premium iPhones: swipe left or Touch and Hold. SE2 only has one method.

You literally make no sense. That didn't answer my question at all. You basically said it's that way because it is.

Also, those stupid shortcuts on the home screen don't even matter. Nobody I know has ever used any of those menus. In fact, it gets in the way when I'm trying to delete an app or modify my home screens. If Apple wanted to, they could've gotten rid of those menus too and said "Sorry, long press features don't work on iPhone SE 2nd gen"

Why give us some of them, but not all?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Is replying from the Lock screen with a single tap a fundamental feature? I think Touch and Hold is convenient, but not fundamental.

Users can achieve the same thing by swiping left and tapping View.

iOS 14 has a "Back Tap" feature that relies on the gyroscope and accelerometer. It's unavailable on the SE2. This is another convenience feature that fits in the same category as Touch and Hold.
Well when all other devices (including iPads) have touch & hold, you would think that a phone just released would have it as well.

Doesn’t make sense to exclude it from one specific device. Especially when it’s a software thing not hardware.

Reactions: remington79

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Well when all other devices (including iPads) have touch & hold, you would think that a phone just released would have it as well.

Doesn’t make sense to exclude it from one specific device. Especially when it’s a software thing not hardware.

Because it's not a "premium phone" and you didn't pay for that feature.

It feels like how every other car in the world includes cup holders, but I bought a budget car, but it doesn't have cup holders. However, before buying the car, nobody mentioned... oh yeah, this car has no cup holders.

In the iPhone SE promotional material or purchasing page there was no mention about not being able to long press on the lock screen so I feel kinda cheated.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You literally make no sense. That didn't answer my question at all. You basically said it's that way because it is.

Also, those stupid shortcuts on the home screen don't even matter. Nobody I know has ever used any of those menus. In fact, it gets in the way when I'm trying to delete an app or modify my home screens. If Apple wanted to, they could've gotten rid of those menus too and said "Sorry, long press features don't work on iPhone SE 2nd gen"

Why give us some of them, but not all?

There are two ways to access shortcuts on the Lock screen. Swipe left or Touch and Hold.

There is only one way to access shortcuts on the Home screen. Touch and Hold.

SE2 only gives you one method for each of the above.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because Touch and Hold everywhere else, like on the Home screen, is the only way to "right click."

On the Lock screen, you have a choice to "right click" by swiping left. Apple offers two methods for premium iPhones: swipe left or Touch and Hold. SE2 only has one method.
The equivalent of that is that in some places in macOS or Windows right-clicking is randomly isn't supported because you can do the same thing using some menu and a regular left-click of a mouse.

I understand what you are trying to say as far as this somehow being some sort of a "premium" feature, but what I'm (and it seems various others) trying to say is that if that's really what's behind that it's rather nonsensical, not only in that it deals with what is a fairly basic and fundamental interaction when it comes to touchscreen devices these days, but also because it somehow randomly only affects some particular places.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Yes, Apple uses feature rationing on hardware and software to sell their products! Both are valuable and Apple has been doing this for years!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, Apple uses feature rationing on hardware and software to sell their products! Both are valuable and Apple has been doing this for years!
Yet they wouldn't think of disabling right-click support in random places on cheaper Macs, would they?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Are people basing their buying decisions on whether you can reply to a message using one tap? It just seems silly to me that they would artificially reserve this one feature for their "premium" devices. Apparently the iPad mini is a premium device now.
[automerge]1593027650[/automerge]
Yet they wouldn't think of disabling right-click support in random places on cheaper Macs, would they?

When buying a new computer (whether cheap or expensive) there are certain things you expect to just work because they're basic features.

Reactions: remington79

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
The equivalent of that is that in some places in macOS or Windows right-clicking is randomly isn't supported because you can do the same thing using some menu and a regular left-click of a mouse.

I understand what you are trying to say as far as this somehow being some sort of a "premium" feature, but what I'm (and it seems various others) trying to say is that if that's really what's behind that it's rather nonsensical, not only in that it deals with what is a fairly basic and fundamental interaction when it comes to touchscreen devices these days, but also because it somehow randomly only affects some particular places.

As an iPhone user, I agree it doesn't make sense.

But I can see how it makes sense to Apple's software team, especially if they've been asked to align iOS features with a $399 iPhone. Is Touch and Hold a nice feature to have? Yes. Will users notice it? Yes, clearly. Will it cripple the device? No. Will it alienate SE2 owners? Probably not.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As an iPhone user, I agree it doesn't make sense.

But I can see how it makes sense to Apple's software team, especially if they've been asked to align iOS features with a $399 iPhone. Is Touch and Hold a nice feature to have? Yes. Will users notice it? Yes, clearly. Will it cripple the device? No. Will it alienate SE2 owners? Probably not.
I don't really see how it make sense to them either, again, using Macs and right-click support as a comparison, where it doesn't seem like they would ever even dream of applying similar logic of disabling support for something like that that in random places on cheaper Macs just because they are cheaper.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Hey everyone. I just talked to Apple and their reasoning makes a lot of sense.

Basically in order to use haptic touch on the lock screen you need 1 of 2 things. You either need Face ID or 3D Touch (which we knew), however, the reason this feature is not available without FaceID or 3D Touch is because of accidental presses while the phone is in your pocket or other accidental long presses.

With Face ID, the phone already knows you're looking at it and ready to use it, so long press is enabled. With 3D Touch, you have to forcibly touch the screen which would be pretty rare to do accidentally. In the case of iPads, those aren't usually in your pocket and accidental touches wouldn't be nearly as easy.

So it really is an intended feature and after talking to Apple I actually understand why they wouldn't enable this on a device that doesn't have 3D Touch or Face ID.

These are points I didn't think of before and now I fully understand why it was taken away. It wasn't done because it's a cheaper phone. It's to protect the person from accidentally responding to messages when they didn't intend to.

Thread can be closed now I guess.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Basically in order to use haptic touch on the lock screen you need 1 of 2 things. You either need Face ID or 3D Touch (which we knew), however, the reason this feature is not available without FaceID or 3D Touch is because of accidental presses while the phone is in your pocket or other accidental long presses.

With Face ID, the phone already knows you're looking at it and ready to use it, so long press is enabled. With 3D Touch, you have to forcibly touch the screen which would be pretty rare to do accidentally. In the case of iPads, those aren't usually in your pocket and accidental touches wouldn't be nearly as easy.

So it really is an intended feature and after talking to Apple I actually understand why they wouldn't enable this on a device that doesn't have 3D Touch or Face ID.

These are points I didn't think of before and now I fully understand why it was taken away. It wasn't done because it's a cheaper phone. It's to protect the person from accidentally responding to messages when they didn't intend to.

I can sort of see that aspect of reasoning playing a role. That said, don't phones (without the home button) have the camera and flashlight shortcuts on the lock screen that are simply activated via long-press?

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I can sort of see that aspect of reasoning playing a role. That said, don't phones (without the home button) have the camera and flashlight shortcuts on the lock screen that are simply activated via long-press?

I'm actually unsure about that one. I've never owned a Face ID phone. Also, maybe the haptic touch ONLY becomes enabled when you're looking at your phone. Like maybe it sees your face and turns the feature on. I don't know though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm actually unsure about that one. I've never owned a Face ID phone. Also, maybe the haptic touch ONLY becomes enabled when you're looking at your phone. Like maybe it sees your face and turns the feature on. I don't know though.
I believe that works without Face ID from what I recall (not having a home-button-free iPhone to try it on at the moment).

Last edited:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013

Their reasoning literally makes no sense.

If your phone is locked and in your pocket, the screen will not turn on when a notification comes through. So accidental touches are irrelevant.

And 3D Touch devices with iOS 13 it’s no longer a hard press. It’s the same long press.

Reactions: JPack

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

If your phone is locked and in your pocket, the screen will not turn on when a notification comes through. So accidental touches are irrelevant.

And 3D Touch devices with iOS 13 it’s no longer a hard press. It’s the same long press.
With 3D Touch enabled in iOS 13, for the devices that support it, it still works as a hard press there. If 3D Touch is disabled then long press takes over in most places, but doesn't actually work everywhere where 3D Touch does, like the lock screen. It's a somewhat odd implementation.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
With 3D Touch enabled in iOS 13, for the devices that support it, it still works as a hard press there. If 3D Touch is disabled then long press takes over in most places, but doesn't actually work everywhere where 3D Touch does, like the lock screen. It's a somewhat odd implementation.
The only thing different with having 3D Touch on, is the speed with the hard press.

With it turned off, I imagine the hard press works the same as on a non 3D Touch phone. Which is just a slower long hold.

Basically 3D Touch serves no purpose now. Prior to iOS 13 a long hold on the HS would trigger the app wiggle & it did nothing everywhere else, as you had to hard press.

Now a long hold everywhere gives the same result a hard press.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The only thing different with having 3D Touch on, is the speed with the hard press.

With it turned off, I imagine the hard press works the same as on a non 3D Touch phone. Which is just a slower long hold.

Basically 3D Touch serves no purpose now. Prior to iOS 13 a long hold on the HS would trigger the app wiggle & it did nothing everywhere else, as you had to hard press.

Now a long hold everywhere gives the same result a hard press.
That should be the case, but it doesn't seem to be. Notifications are one example of that, where on the lock screen long-press doesn't seem to do anything when 3D Touch is disabled on a phone like iPhone 7 or 8 which supports 3D Touch (while hard-press with 3D Touch enabled works).

Aside from that Haptic Touch (long-press) also doesn't provide any peek/pop type of capabilities that 3D Touch is capable of -- basically 3D Touch can and in various places does offer multiple functions, while Haptic Touch provides a single one (and in some place not even that on 3D Touch capable devices).

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

That wasn't their reasoning. It's what I concluded after they told me that your device needs to have 3D Touch or Face ID to use that feature. Then I thought about it for a minute and came up with the reason I provided. It made sense to me that accidentally long pressing on the lock screen would be a lot easier to do than force pressing it or using Face ID first.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
That should be the case, but it doesn't seem to be. Notifications are one example of that, where on the lock screen long-press doesn't seem to do anything when 3D Touch is disabled on a phone like iPhone 7 or 8 which supports 3D Touch (while hard-press with 3D Touch enabled works).

Aside from that Haptic Touch (long-press) also doesn't provide any peek/pop type of capabilities that 3D Touch is capable of -- basically 3D Touch can and in various places does offer multiple functions, while Haptic Touch provides a single one (and in some place not even that on 3D Touch capable devices).
The one thing I didn’t try it with was notifications. If that’s the case there’s really no reason the new SE doesn’t have quick reply by default.
[automerge]1593096904[/automerge]
That wasn't their reasoning. It's what I concluded after they told me that your device needs to have 3D Touch or Face ID to use that feature. Then I thought about it for a minute and came up with the reason I provided. It made sense to me that accidentally long pressing on the lock screen would be a lot easier to do than force pressing it or using Face ID first.
Ah ok I misunderstood. But that’s still not a reason lol cause if you’re phone is locked you can’t interact with it.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It specifically mentions SE which is in fact the newest iPhone and given that the long-press doesn't require any specialized hardware maybe that's a hint for some new long-press feature coming in iOS14 ?
Still doesn't work on SE2020 in 14 beta.
[automerge]1593103402[/automerge]
Yeah what purpose does blocking it on 1 device have??? It would be so simple to enable it as it’s probably just a flag somewhere. I think they goofed and used the iPhone 8 iOS for the SE and since the iPhone 8 doesn’t need tap to hold, now the SE can’t do it either.

By the way, if you turn off 3D Touch on any iPhone, it does not enable tap to hold on the lock screen.
A good point someone made it long press works for notifications on SE2020, so the hardware obviously supports it. They just need a software fix to enable it on lock and notification center.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A good point someone made it long press works for notifications on SE2020, so the hardware obviously supports it. They just need a software fix to enable it on lock and notification center.
In that respect they should also apply that to other devices like iPhone 6s, 7, and 8 which should also be able to make use of that when 3D Touch is disabled (and Haptic Touch should take over basically in all the same places).

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Pretty sure people have mentioned about back tap and if it is on iPhone X or later well actually the iPhone 8 and 8 plus get this, but still not the SE

This and app clips too

Attachments

• 29643D2C-9D83-41B8-A97B-F924E280E526.png
    29643D2C-9D83-41B8-A97B-F924E280E526.png
    446.1 KB · Views: 94
  • 00CEA12A-2F97-4FA2-BACB-D16F222BA467.png
    00CEA12A-2F97-4FA2-BACB-D16F222BA467.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.