Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I just got my iPhone SE and I love it.

I noticed if I tap anywhere on the top half of the phone (especially near the camera) I hear a slight rattle noise. I shake the phone (to undo something) I can also hear a slight rattle near the camera. Is this normal?

What I noticed is that if it’s on a solid surface, it doesn’t happen. If I hold it and tap, it rattles.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'll bet it's the identical leather case for the 8 renamed/repurposed. Have you looked at how the case fits on an iPhone 8 to see if its the same. Plenty of pics on the leather case thread in the accessories forum to compare it to.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
It’s not any of the metal buttons rattling is it?
No...the phone. I took the case off, held it in my right hand and tapped the back of my phone with my left handle. Rattle ensues.

I wonder If it’s the camera? Just wondering if other users could confirm.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
My iPhone 7 and 8 both had that rattle. I put it down to either the mute switch, or something in the camera.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
What I noticed is that if it’s on a solid surface, it doesn’t happen. If I hold it and tap, it rattles.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Check camera output by recording a video with your new iPhone. Is the video steady? Often, the rattle is due to a loose OIS component in the camera.

tennisne1

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
As the above post mentions, it's most likely the optical stablizer in the camera that is causing the rattle. The rattle isn't prone just to the iPhone, even my Note 10 Plus has a slight rattle. Just search on YouTube for "Galaxy S20 camera rattle"

No need to worry, but you do get a 1 year warranty on a new iPhone for peace of mind.

Enjoy your new iPhone! :)

davedapsirules

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2020
As the above post mentions, it's most likely the optical stablizer in the camera that is causing the rattle. The rattle isn't prone just to the iPhone, even my Note 10 Plus has a slight rattle. Just search on YouTube for "Galaxy S20 camera rattle"

No need to worry, but you do get a 1 year warranty on a new iPhone for peace of mind.

Enjoy your new iPhone! :)

Yes, a warranty is fine, but no one likes to have a possible repair issue from the moment they've gotten their new phone.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll take this as “normal” for now.

If any othernew SE owners can check theirs out that would be great!

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
It is NORMAL. The camera does this as it has a stabilizer while filming.
Ok, thanks for confirming. I assume you have the new SE too and yours does it?

The reason I ask is other users have said there’s barely does it and doesn’t sound as loud as mine. I just want to make sure mine isn’t defective.

dms_91

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016
Ok, thanks for confirming. I assume you have the new SE too and yours does it?

The reason I ask is other users have said there’s barely does it and doesn’t sound as loud as mine. I just want to make sure mine isn’t defective.
I have one and mine does it too. I’m assuming it’s the camera component.
[automerge]1587891594[/automerge]
Actually after doing it again, it is the mute switch. When my mute switch is in the mute position(down), it somewhat has give and rattles. Lol so it has to be that.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
I had the same rattle on my XR and i asked about it on reddit. Apparently it's the image stabilization in the camera. It's normal.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I have one and mine does it too. I’m assuming it’s the camera component.
[automerge]1587891594[/automerge]
Actually after doing it again, it is the mute switch. When my mute switch is in the mute position(down), it somewhat has give and rattles. Lol so it has to be that.
Thanks. I just tried with my mute switch in both positions and it does it.

Even when holding the mute switch and tapping. I’ll chalk it up to being normal and the camera sensor.

I have a year warranty so if it gets worse or breaks I’m covered.

wesleyduffy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
I just got my new (sealed in the original box) iPhone SE 2020 on Saturday (June 13) and I noticed a rattling when I placed the phone on my mattress. Then I picked it up and tapped near the camera and hear the same thing everyone is talking about. I took the case off and still same thing. I'm really hoping this is the image stabilizer and that it won't get worse.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just got my new (sealed in the original box) iPhone SE 2020 on Saturday (June 13) and I noticed a rattling when I placed the phone on my mattress. Then I picked it up and tapped near the camera and hear the same thing everyone is talking about. I took the case off and still same thing. I'm really hoping this is the image stabilizer and that it won't get worse.

Wait a minute? You placed your phone on a mattress and you heard a rattling noise Emanating from the phone itself? Was this mattress vibrating or something?😁

OK, the reality is, if your phone has a rattling noise where you could audibly hear it when you set your phone on a mattress, then you should probably take it back, because that’s incredibly unlikely for something like that to happen and/or you have extremely sensitive ears where you’re Intentionally trying to be pedantic.

you have to make a decision for yourself, which is if the phone is either A.] Defective or B.]You’re attempting to find something wrong when there’s nothing wrong with it.

wesleyduffy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
Wait a minute? You placed your phone on a mattress and you heard a rattling noise Emanating from the phone itself? Was this mattress vibrating or something??

OK, the reality is, if your phone has a rattling noise where you could audibly hear it when you set your phone on a mattress, then you should probably take it back, because that’s incredibly unlikely for something like that to happen and/or you have extremely sensitive ears where you’re Intentionally trying to be pedantic.

you have to make a decision for yourself, which is if the phone is either A.] Defective or B.]You’re attempting to find something wrong when there’s nothing wrong with it.
I am careful with all my phones. I’ve had the iPhone 6s and iPhone 8 from my previous company (both brand new out of the box) and never heard rattling. I was waiting for my case before I started moving the iPhone SE 2020 around. Got the case and afterwards placed the phone on my memory foam mattress. This is when I heard the rattle. Very odd and, yes, audible!! I’m taking it back to AT&T since it’s only been 4 days

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I’m not sure if her SE2 rattles, but we have had our 7s and our replacement 7s rattle. It was the camera on ours. My XSM doesn’t make any noise. Toight like a tiger.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I just got my iPhone SE and I love it.

I noticed if I tap anywhere on the top half of the phone (especially near the camera) I hear a slight rattle noise. I shake the phone (to undo something) I can also hear a slight rattle near the camera. Is this normal?

I have the original SE iPhone and it always had the rattle you described.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
You should worry if it stops rattling. The OIS makes that gentle rattle and it normally means everything is alright.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.