Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankenhooker

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2018
I haven’t got the rattle on my SE, but I have had it on every previous iPhone. I asked a friend who who works at the Apple store and he seemed to think it was the camera and the way it’s constructed. It’s not a fault or anything.

wesleyduffy

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2020
I haven’t got the rattle on my SE, but I have had it on every previous iPhone. I asked a friend who who works at the Apple store and he seemed to think it was the camera and the way it’s constructed. It’s not a fault or anything.
Well, the AT&T storefront costumer service rep said it’s not normal and Apple wanted to fix the “4 day old iPhone SE 2020” instead because it was initially purchased through AT&T and I think Apple would rather fix than replace (cheap bastards!). Luckily, since this seems to be a defective device (only had it for 4 days and never dropped it), AT&T took it back and are shipping a new one!
I would like to add, I’ve had “brand new” both the iPhone 6S and iPhone 8 in the past and knew that something was up with this iPhone SE 2020.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
If you're happy with everything else (for example the screen was always an issue with me) then live with the rattle. Every iPhone I've had has it, and I was stupid and Returned a perfect screen phone because of a rattle and got a yellow screen.

lesson: you never know if the replacement will be worse so just live with it especially since rattles happens.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
If you're happy with everything else (for example the screen was always an issue with me) then live with the rattle. Every iPhone I've had has it, and I was stupid and Returned a perfect screen phone because of a rattle and got a yellow screen.

lesson: you never know if the replacement will be worse so just live with it especially since rattles happens.

Very true. And I want to point out, what happens is, sometimes you have members who over-read into posts on forums like this, and then they become overly pedantic about examining their phone on every little facet and angle to find something wrong, when there’s nothing wrong with it in the first place.

And then when you start playing the ‘exchange game‘ with Phone, you take the gamble of getting a replacement phone that may have other faults that your original phone didn’t have. It’s my theory is, if it doesn’t affect the functionality or performance, or hinder any type of viewing experience, then ‘live with it’ as you said.

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Very true. And I want to point out, what happens is, sometimes you have members who over-read into posts on forums like this, and then they become overly pedantic about examining their phone on every little facet and angle to find something wrong, when there’s nothing wrong with it in the first place.

And then when you start playing the ‘exchange game‘ with Phone, you take the gamble of getting a replacement phone that may have other faults that your original phone didn’t have. It’s my theory is, if it doesn’t affect the functionality or performance, or hinder any type of viewing experience, then ‘live with it’ as you said.
Of course my iphone seven that I got for free a year ago (switching to Verizon) has a screen that is brighter at the top, and darker at the bottom, with a "movie theater" spotlighting effect on the bottom (happens in LCD screens). It's minor, but enough to be bothersome.

I should have returned it within the seven day window, but.... didn't want to get some other issue with a replacement!

Oh well.... Going to get an iphone 12 for ~650 and hope that they have better quality control on a more expensive newer device. 🤞 (Or hope there's some sale on the Pro fro around $700...

Reactions: 44267547

Orjoh

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2021
Hello! I got my iPhone SE 2020 on February 27th of this year so I have barely had it for a month but it does make this rattle, yes. And that's exactly why I have been asking everyone with an iPhone that I'm friends with (even though every single one of them said no) and looking up forums like this one for answers. I'm relieved that I'm not the only one experiencing it since it's irritating and I thought I'd have to get it fixed to soon (sadly). My rattle definitely comes from the camera lense as it appears straight when I open the camera and also when I tap behind the phone in the area you described. Mine is quite loud so it's lowkey annoying me but I'll be going to the repair store really soon just to make sure. I hope my 1 year warranty covers me. Though I have to admit, this sound appeared after I dropped it once by complete accident so that's the main reason I'm worried but so far the camera looks good and I don't see any issues with it, despite the rattle.

adeherry

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2022
I just bought an iphone SE 2022 (Gen 3) a week ago, and it happened to my iphone too. until I visited the shop to make sure whether the sample iphone in the shop also experienced the same? and it was true that the sample iphone found at the apple outlet also experienced the same thing as the iphone that I was using.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.