Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I'm considering buying an iPhone SE 64GB for three reason really, size & support & price.

I currently have a Nexus 6P which I've had nearly a year now, I feel it's now time to give iOS a try having never had an iPhone in the past, reason being because Google has started to neglect the Nexus line somewhat & i personally think the Pixel's are way overpriced for what they offer, at least Apple keep supporting their past phones for a good few years & the SE having same specs as the 6S processor & memory wise should get at least a good couple of years from it before it starts to show it age.

Another reason for considering the SE is size I've grown tired of having large phones that somewhat can be a nuisance when in the pocket when at work or out & about.

And the 3rd reason is price I can get a brand new 64GB SE simfree for £360 with the Wife discount, and selling the Nexus 6P will pay a large percentage of that £360.

So is still worth considering the SE in 2017 & those that have one are you still happy with it?

Reactions: arkitect

martint235

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2016
I'm considering buying an iPhone SE 64GB for three reason really, size & support & price.

I currently have a Nexus 6P which I've had nearly a year now, I feel it's now time to give iOS a try having never had an iPhone in the past, reason being because Google has started to neglect the Nexus line somewhat & i personally think the Pixel's are way overpriced for what they offer, at least Apple keep supporting their past phones for a good few years & the SE having same specs as the 6S processor & memory wise should get at least a good couple of years from it before it starts to show it age.

Another reason for considering the SE is size I've grown tired of having large phones that somewhat can be a nuisance when in the pocket when at work or out & about.

And the 3rd reason is price I can get a brand new 64GB SE simfree for £360 with the Wife discount, and selling the Nexus 6P will pay a large percentage of that £360.

So is still worth considering the SE in 2017 & those that have one are you still happy with it?
I switched from a Note 3 to the SE last year primarily due to the size. It is a fantastic bit of kit and I would still have it today if my eyesight was as fantastic as the kit.

It was one of the most comfortable phones to use that I've ever had, for such a small phone it has a nice weight to it. It was my first ever iphone and I quickly bought into the iOS and apps. It will take a little getting used to after Android though particularly if you bring your Google stuff with you. iOS doesn't seem as joined up at first but you'll get used to it.

I replaced mine a couple of months ago with an iPhone 7 on which I can see the screen much better without having to resort to my reading glasses all the time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think it is worth considering taking into account your priorities (size, support, price, i.e. value for money etc.)

Agreed. And the SE Will easily last for years with similar specifications to the 6s. Especially at its current price point.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I pickedup 5S on cragslist few days ago as a backup phone since my wife's 6S is acting up and I love the size and design. As far as performance, while it is definitely slower than 6S we have, it is still running fine, so I have no doubts that SE wound't last you a long time.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I've had mine about 9 months and still love it. Great device. Price is low enough that even buying new now doesn't seem like a bad deal (though admittedly not the steal it was when it was $250 less and nearly the same specs as the then-flagship 6s when it was released).

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
The benchmark specs actually put it at the #5 spot for iOS devices. After 7, 7+, and iPad Pros.

(So yes, still a great buy in 2017)

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I'm actually in the process of deciding between an SE or 6s. My Pixel I picked up about 4 months ago keeps getting worse so I'm looking to switch to something more stable. The SE is basically a 6s in a 5/5s shell. It does lack 3D touch and the second-gen Touch ID. From deals I'm looking at currently the price difference is $100 between the two (with the 6s being $100 more) as I'm not as brave as @Applejuiced to try a similar deal since this will be my primary device. My thoughts are basically if I get the SE and like the 7s/8 the SE would make an excellent back up phone/media device. Just not sure how easy it would be to transition from a 5.0" screen to a 4.0" screen.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm actually in the process of deciding between an SE or 6s. My Pixel I picked up about 4 months ago keeps getting worse so I'm looking to switch to something more stable. The SE is basically a 6s in a 5/5s shell. It does lack 3D touch and the second-gen Touch ID. From deals I'm looking at currently the price difference is $100 between the two (with the 6s being $100 more) as I'm not as brave as @Applejuiced to try a similar deal since this will be my primary device. My thoughts are basically if I get the SE and like the 7s/8 the SE would make an excellent back up phone/media device. Just not sure how easy it would be to transition from a 5.0" screen to a 4.0" screen.

I bought it as a spare phone but now my son is using it to play games at home :D
The deal was great and knew I could unlock it so pretty much a win win :)

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The SE is a no brainer, even in 2017. It's still just as snappy on iOS 10 as it was on iOS 9. It's just a joy to use.

I hated putting it back in it's original box when work upgraded me to the 7 recently. But I still plan on using it from time to time. It's a fantastic device.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The SE is definitely a good phone. I would keep an eye out for sales and coupons. I got the 64GB (for $121) a few days after Applejuiced got his 16GB.

I wish I had known about the deal you and Applejuiced got. Me paying $400 for a brand new unlocked SE pales in comparison to what you two paid.

Reactions: Applejuiced

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I wish I had known about the deal you and Applejuiced got. Me paying $400 for a brand new unlocked SE pales in comparison to what you two paid.
I'm not sure what carrier you use, but the SE deal that was mentioned was for the A1723 model which lacks band 13 for use on Verizon. So if you don't have Verizon, then it's an excellent deal. Although I'm not entirely sure how important band 13 is, just felt it was worth mentioning.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm not sure what carrier you use, but the SE deal that was mentioned was for the A1723 model which lacks band 13 for use on Verizon. So if you don't have Verizon, then it's an excellent deal. Although I'm not entirely sure how important band 13 is, just felt it was worth mentioning.

Yes, but for $90 even missing a band is still a killer deal :D

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE

I have the A1662 version since I am on T-Mobile. The important band for me is band 12.

Reactions: Applejuiced
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.