Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm not sure what carrier you use, but the SE deal that was mentioned was for the A1723 model which lacks band 13 for use on Verizon. So if you don't have Verizon, then it's an excellent deal. Although I'm not entirely sure how important band 13 is, just felt it was worth mentioning.

I'm on Verizon and I don't know if I would have taken the chance w/the BoostMobile phone but anyone who did and got it unlocked afterwards...congrats.

Reactions: Applejuiced

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Yes, but for $90 even missing a band is still a killer deal :D
No arguments on that from me! Although, I just checked and it looks like where I spend the majority of my time, I'm using band 13, so I guess it's important to me.

I have the A1662 version since I am on T-Mobile. The important band for me is band 12.
Fair enough, the A1662 version is what I'd need because if I left Verizon I would go to T-Mobile for sure.
I'm on Verizon and I don't know if I would have taken the chance w/the BoostMobile phone but anyone who did and got it unlocked afterwards...congrats.
I thought about it but decided I would rather not take the risk. But a lot of people are reporting success.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I thought about it but decided I would rather not take the risk. But a lot of people are reporting success.

I hear you, but it wasn't any risk at all.
I knew there's plenty of 3rd party services that unlock boost iphones.
And I spoke to Swiftunlocks and he told me he has 100% success guarantee so there wouldn't be a problem unlocking it.
When you see an opportunity you gotta go for it now :D

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
I hear you, but it wasn't any risk at all.
I knew there's plenty of 3rd party services that unlock boost iphones.
And I spoke to Swiftunlocks and he told me he has 100% success guarantee so there wouldn't be a problem unlocking it.
When you see an opportunity you gotta go for it now :D
True. I probably should've phrased that better. I didn't mean from getting it unlocked, I meant taking the risk in terms of coverage with the missing LTE band for Verizon. People on that Slickdeals link reported success with Verizon, but I just didn't want to take that risk. I want to get the SE today, however I wonder what the chance of the A1662 going on sale in the next 14 days. Getting quite annoyed by the Pixel issues that I'm having.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
True. I probably should've phrased that better. I didn't mean from getting it unlocked, I meant taking the risk in terms of coverage with the missing LTE band for Verizon. People on that Slickdeals link reported success with Verizon, but I just didn't want to take that risk. I want to get the SE today, however I wonder what the chance of the A1662 going on sale in the next 14 days. Getting quite annoyed by the Pixel issues that I'm having.

If it is missing a Verizon band, it would matter to me.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

Oh I see.
Not sure if you'll find anything that cheap but you can always look around swappa for a verizon model SE.

dave2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
Canberra
For me, I can't see the attraction of lugging around a phone larger than the SE. About the time Apple got serious with China they forgot about ergonomics and instead competed with Samsung for a shiny, curvy design that looks great in the store,or in a review video, but is a slippery 5-6" pain in the ass to carry around.
I much rather have an SE and an iPad mini for when I want to read or watch video; and that costs about the same as an iPhone 7.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
For me, I can't see the attraction of lugging around a phone larger than the SE. About the time Apple got serious with China they forgot about ergonomics and instead competed with Samsung for a shiny, curvy design that looks great in the store,or in a review video, but is a slippery 5-6" pain in the ass to carry around.
I much rather have an SE and an iPad mini for when I want to read or watch video; and that costs about the same as an iPhone 7.

Agree, but I wouldn't mind if the SE had the same resolution as the 4.7 display. Even though the type would be smaller, I feel constrained, especially in landscape mode, where I can barely see the text box I'm typing into over the keyboard.

nutriousmitten

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2017
An aside question,
If Apple did upgrade the internals, besides the memory bump, is there anything else they could potentially bump up using parts from the IP6S and IP7 parts bin, while retianing the same form factor?

IE, would the Iphone 7 camera module be bigger and thus possibly not fit in the SE? Processor and GPU the same. Also of course the haptic home button and force touch, could that be moved over from the 7 without much re-engineering (outside of course the smaller screen size it would have accomodate).

Basically, could Apple, fairly easily, make an Iphone SE that is a smaller Ip7?

For marketing, price points, and all sorts of intangibles, even if they could do that, they probably wouldn't, to keep the SE in the value price segment, but just wondering if maybe some of the IP7 features could make their way to the smaller factor.

LoliS

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2017
I'm considering buying an iPhone SE 64GB for three reason really, size & support & price.

So is still worth considering the SE in 2017 & those that have one are you still happy with it?
I would wait to see if there is an Apple spring event in a few weeks before making any purchasing decisions.
[doublepost=1489362299][/doublepost]
I wish I had known about the deal you and Applejuiced got. Me paying $400 for a brand new unlocked SE pales in comparison to what you two paid.
Don't feel bad. The Boost iPhone SE is a Sprint model and it doesn't have Band 13 so won't work on Verizon. It also doesn't have AT&T's Band 29.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-iphone-se-is-not-carrier-agnostic

http://www.apple.com/iphone-se/specs/

Moreover, paying for an unlock code only allows you to use it on a network other than Sprint's - it still won't pass Sprint's FED check so you can't use it on Sprint postpaid nor will it work on Virgin Mobile, Sprint Prepaid or Sprint MVNOs. On Sprint's network it will only work on Boost until you have it active on Boost for 1 year and it passes the FED.

In the future, check swappa for sealed iPhones that have not been activated. You can usually save the taxes + at least another 15%. If an iPhone hasn't been activated they come with full warranty starting from the date of activation (unless they were purchased from apple.com - then the warranty could start to run from the date the device was shipped from China). Be sure to confirm with the seller that the device is not being financed before buying and of course only buy from a seller with good feedback.

I can tell you how to check to see if a device is paid off on all 4 carriers if you need to know.

Last edited:

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I'm considering buying an iPhone SE 64GB for three reason really, size & support & price.

I currently have a Nexus 6P which I've had nearly a year now, I feel it's now time to give iOS a try having never had an iPhone in the past, reason being because Google has started to neglect the Nexus line somewhat & i personally think the Pixel's are way overpriced for what they offer, at least Apple keep supporting their past phones for a good few years & the SE having same specs as the 6S processor & memory wise should get at least a good couple of years from it before it starts to show it age.

Another reason for considering the SE is size I've grown tired of having large phones that somewhat can be a nuisance when in the pocket when at work or out & about.

And the 3rd reason is price I can get a brand new 64GB SE simfree for £360 with the Wife discount, and selling the Nexus 6P will pay a large percentage of that £360.

So is still worth considering the SE in 2017 & those that have one are you still happy with it?

It is certainly worth it. I got mine on launch day and love it to pieces. Like you, I was tired of the inconveniences of having a larger phone. Love the one-hand use and the ability to fit easily into my pocket. Huge benefit! The SE is a little powerhouse and should serve you well for several years, 3 years the least. I say, go for it!!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Don't feel bad. The Boost iPhone SE is a Sprint model and it doesn't have Band 13 so won't work on Verizon. It also doesn't have AT&T's Band 29.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/343091/the-iphone-se-is-not-carrier-agnostic

AT&T also uses band 30; but I believe their main bands are 2/4/17 so both the A1662 and A1723 will work on AT&T assuming they are unlocked. I don't believe iPhones offered Band 30 support until the iPhone 6s with the A1633/A1634 models. And from what I'm reading band 29/30 isn't rolled out everywhere yet.

Also, on that note both the A1662 and A1723 will work on T-Mobile, as T-Mobile uses 2/4/12.

So, basically you only have to worry which SE to get if you plan to use it on Verizon or Sprint.

Last edited:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
An aside question,
If Apple did upgrade the internals, besides the memory bump, is there anything else they could potentially bump up using parts from the IP6S and IP7 parts bin, while retianing the same form factor?

IE, would the Iphone 7 camera module be bigger and thus possibly not fit in the SE? Processor and GPU the same. Also of course the haptic home button and force touch, could that be moved over from the 7 without much re-engineering (outside of course the smaller screen size it would have accomodate).

Basically, could Apple, fairly easily, make an Iphone SE that is a smaller Ip7?

For marketing, price points, and all sorts of intangibles, even if they could do that, they probably wouldn't, to keep the SE in the value price segment, but just wondering if maybe some of the IP7 features could make their way to the smaller factor.

No. What you propose is likely a major re-engineering project. It would be more profitable to re-design the entire phone from the ground up, and make it more compelling to a wider customer base, as well as keep it fresher looking for much longer.

Reactions: arkitect

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH

I currently have a Nexus 6P which I've had nearly a year now, I feel it's now time to give iOS a try having never had an iPhone in the past, reason being because Google has started to neglect the Nexus line somewhat & i personally think the Pixel's are way overpriced for what they offer, at least Apple keep supporting their past phones for a good few years & the SE having same specs as the 6S processor & memory wise should get at least a good couple of years from it before it starts to show it age.

Another reason for considering the SE is size I've grown tired of having large phones that somewhat can be a nuisance when in the pocket when at work or out & about.

And the 3rd reason is price I can get a brand new 64GB SE simfree for £360 with the Wife discount, and selling the Nexus 6P will pay a large percentage of that £360.

TMOBILE was having a sale last week on the SE. I got a 64GB SE for the same price as they were offering the 16GB. $384 total. It's on the UPS truck today and I will pay it off in full tomorrow. I sold my iPhone 6 Plus last week for just under $300. I'm happy, or at least I think I'll be happy.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Really jealous of people getting SE contract free <200 that's nuts.

Maybe I'll be super patient for se2 sale prices or slick deals

Still I regret nothing in terms of paying 499 9 months ago and doing iOS 10 betas in summer, 9.3.3 jailbreak by fall, and recently 10.2 that still runs well.

Definitely recommend considering this steal and small form factor wonder

A retro blast from the past. Modernized. Ish.

Swapping between it and 7+ has been. Amazing and confusing :)

With same tweak config and App Store apps it's a relatively seamless hand off

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
Went ahead & bought one yesterday still setting it up atm & getting use to iOS, plus I have no problems at all using a 4" screen even with typing.

Having a tiny smartphone is like a breath of fresh air after lugging about the Nexus 6P for the past year.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Went ahead & bought one yesterday still setting it up atm & getting use to iOS, plus I have no problems at all using a 4" screen even with typing.

Having a tiny smartphone is like a breath of fresh air after lugging about the Nexus 6P for the past year.

Well congratulations, but why didn't you wait another couple of weeks to see what Apple releases to replace the SE? At a minimum you would have likely saved money on the model you just bought as vendors clear out old stock on sale.

The good news here is that Apple has a generous return window and usually let's you return the previous model of a product if bought within a month of the release of the upgraded model. So if you decide you'd rather have whatever features the new model has, you should have no problems upgrading.

Ixon2001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2017
Wigan UK
I don't think Apple will replace the SE this year, the only thing i can see them possible doing is scrapping the 16GB & offering 32GB plus a 128GB version aswell.

Usually there are rumours abound when i new iPhone about to hit the market, but there been nothing at all on a new SE model.

As for price i got it brand new and simfree for not much more than what a 16GB version sells for, as the 64GB version seems to be on offer in quite a few places atm & the wife's discount help alot to :p.

funkiejack

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2013
It was a boost mobile locked brand new SE and then I ust paid $30 to unlock it.
The deal has expired since but keep an eye out.
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/boost-mobile/

Excellent, I got in on the same deal except i bought at apple and had them price protection the 64gb SE down to $115 from boostmobile. Always wanted to go back to this size and my wife happily took my iPhone 7 JB 128

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
I'm actually in the process of deciding between an SE or 6s. My Pixel I picked up about 4 months ago keeps getting worse so I'm looking to switch to something more stable. The SE is basically a 6s in a 5/5s shell. It does lack 3D touch and the second-gen Touch ID. From deals I'm looking at currently the price difference is $100 between the two (with the 6s being $100 more) as I'm not as brave as @Applejuiced to try a similar deal since this will be my primary device. My thoughts are basically if I get the SE and like the 7s/8 the SE would make an excellent back up phone/media device. Just not sure how easy it would be to transition from a 5.0" screen to a 4.0" screen.
I came from am LG g3 to the iPhone se and have no regrets. After a couple days of steady use it was much easier to accomplish everything I need to do quickly.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Excellent, I got in on the same deal except i bought at apple and had them price protection the 64gb SE down to $115 from boostmobile. Always wanted to go back to this size and my wife happily took my iPhone 7 JB 128

Nice.
Did you ask the Apple store to match the Boostmobile locked iphone SE for the same price as their unlocked one and they did it?
Wow, I didn't think Apple price-matched anything.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Nice.
Did you ask the Apple store to match the Boostmobile locked iphone SE for the same price as their unlocked one and they did it?
Wow, I didn't think Apple price-matched anything.

Yeah that seems incredibly ymmv

I think they do price match but imagine from boost and at that price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.