Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Probably has been asked before, but this if I can do this, I'll be getting an iPad.

My 3GS has Internet Tethering on it, so I am wondering is it possible for the iPad to connect to my iPhone via bluetooth for Internet access?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Probably has been asked before, but this if I can do this, I'll be getting an iPad.

My 3GS has Internet Tethering on it, so I am wondering is it possible for the iPad to connect to my iPhone via bluetooth for Internet access?

unlikely, but you can use the iphone wi-fi as a hotspot. If we are talking jailbroken phones

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If you jailbreak your phone you can get software to make it act as an WiFi hotspot. Otherwise you're SOL.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Just be aware that MyWi has some bugs, it can eat your battery life pretty fast and often require a reboot to turn off the hotspot. Don't abuse it either, AT&T will figure out what you're doing from the massive bandwidth jump.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I have mine jailbroken, what is the name of the app to make it a wifi hot spot?

As posted above, MyWi will turn your iPhone into a Wifi "hotspot" the iPad should connect just as it would to a wifi router. The bluetooth part won't work as the iPad currently (at least they haven't shown it) doesn't have a way to setup an adhoc network for the BT tethering to work. Who knows what hacks may bring though. Mywi does eat your battery so plan accordingly.:)

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Don't abuse it either, AT&T will figure out what you're doing from the massive bandwidth jump.

You're saying that AT&T would have no objections if you downloaded the entire internet to your iPhone, but if you share the connection with another device they'll cut you off?

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Just be aware that MyWi has some bugs, it can eat your battery life pretty fast and often require a reboot to turn off the hotspot. Don't abuse it either, AT&T will figure out what you're doing from the massive bandwidth jump.

Do you have any proof AT&T will care? Not trying to call you out or anything but I use to tether my iPhone to my laptop to download torrents since my dorms last year blocked it. I downloaded at least 50 gigs and never heard anything from AT&T. Also if you're worried about battery life I'm thinking the camera connection kit will also charge the attached iPhone but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Mr Bigs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2010
Bklyn N.Y
Do you have any proof AT&T will care? Not trying to call you out or anything but I use to tether my iPhone to my laptop to download torrents since my dorms last year blocked it. I downloaded at least 50 gigs and never heard anything from AT&T. Also if you're worried about battery life I'm thinking the camera connection kit will also charge the attached iPhone but I have no way of knowing for sure.
I wouldn't run my mouth too quick a letter might be in the mail keep it up.

WiiDSmoker

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Well I downloaded MyWi, and created a Rock login name, but everytime I try to enable Internet Wifi Hot Spot it fails.

I am using iPhone 3GS 3.1.2

shujin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2006

I have a friend who got called by ATT and they asked them if he was tethering his iphone. He responded with "what is tethering". I would advise against it, though if you don't use it much you should be fine. I use over a gig on my iphone each month, but its not jail broken.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Well I downloaded MyWi, and created a Rock login name, but everytime I try to enable Internet Wifi Hot Spot it fails.

I am using iPhone 3GS 3.1.2

Hmmmm. I just did a jailbreak on my phone last night and installed MyWi this morning and it worked great.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Just pay the extra 130 beans and get the 3G version. That way you can save your iPhone from getting the battery sapped. To me the3G version was always the more attractive buy considering it's $30/unlimited.

GadgetX

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
Just pay the extra 130 beans and get the 3G version. That way you can save your iPhone from getting the battery sapped. To me the3G version was always the more attractive buy considering it's $30/unlimited.

$130 + $30 a month. That's $360 a year just for the data. Not horribly expensive but I think I'll stick to tethering for $0 a year.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
$130 + $30 a month. That's $360 a year just for the data. Not horribly expensive but I think I'll stick to tethering for $0 a year.

Plus the existing AT&T bill, which jumped hugely when I upgraded to a 3GS. This is why I went with the WiFI ipad.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
That is not $130 + $30 a month = $360 a year, it is actually $130 + $30 a month ONLY for the months that you use it. If you Choose to use it for 12 months that is your choice. There is no contract. If you live in a town or city where WiFi is easy to get to then you only need the 3G when you go to the boonies. The $130 is only to ensure that you have the ability to use 3G when you want to.

MarkCap

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
I put MyWi on my old 3G, since I don't want to jailbreak my 3Gs, but I might need it for iPad. This way when I go on a trip and may need WiFi for my iPad, I can swap SIM cards, and use the old phone for that trip.

I can see how this won't work for some people, but I definitely don't need 3G and another plan on my iPad. I'll pay $10 and deal with the 'hassle' of swapping the SIM.

CrazyCleave

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
I've never been able to getna straight answer out of anyone regarding whether or not sharing the iPhone Internet connection actually violates the service agreement. The wording about usage is vague. My interpretation is they have the right to kick you off their service for whatever use they deem inappropriate, but there is no current case law where they have actually sued anyone.

I talked at length with the manager of my AT&T store about this. Her posititon was that jailbreaking voids the phone warranty but not the service agreement. Of course, that conversation does nothing to protect me from losing my service nor getting charged for overuse. I just thought it was interesting. She also said that someone higher up the food chain too her they would be offering a pay as you go tethering "plan" within the year. That dashes my hopes of AT&T just turning the feature "on".

All I can say is I have used tethering and downloaded copious amounts of data on AT&T with the iPhone and Sprint with the Treo, and I haven't seen anything unusual on either bill.

These are just observations for the sake of rhetoric and NOT legal advice.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You're saying that AT&T would have no objections if you downloaded the entire internet to your iPhone, but if you share the connection with another device they'll cut you off?

Every ISP have a bandwidth limitation before they consider you as disruptive to their network (which is the word they use in their TOS). Downloading the entire internet over 3G for the whole month is fine as long you're not downloading them in one day on two or three different devices.

I have known people who gotten calls from AT&T about this, and often get warnings from them before AT&T cut them off for "disrupting the service". It's not about how much stuff you download, but how much bandwidth you suck from other users on that cell network near you. Disruptive is the keyword here. People bitching about dropping calls and slow internet is much more an issue for AT&T than the tethering and jailbreaking. They rather cut you and lose customer than to lose several more.

I've never been able to getna straight answer out of anyone regarding whether or not sharing the iPhone Internet connection actually violates the service agreement. The wording about usage is vague. My interpretation is they have the right to kick you off their service for whatever use they deem inappropriate, but there is no current case law where they have actually sued anyone.

I talked at length with the manager of my AT&T store about this. Her posititon was that jailbreaking voids the phone warranty but not the service agreement. Of course, that conversation does nothing to protect me from losing my service nor getting charged for overuse. I just thought it was interesting. She also said that someone higher up the food chain too her they would be offering a pay as you go tethering "plan" within the year. That dashes my hopes of AT&T just turning the feature "on".

All I can say is I have used tethering and downloaded copious amounts of data on AT&T with the iPhone and Sprint with the Treo, and I haven't seen anything unusual on either bill.

These are just observations for the sake of rhetoric and NOT legal advice.

Jailbreaking is not the issue here, it's the bandwidth. AT&T doesn't care about you jailbreaking your phone, that only applies to Apple.

The bandwidth you suck down daily does impact the bandwidth availability for other people on the same cell tower that you're connected to. Being disruptive to others is what AT&T doesn't want.

AT&T doesn't need to sue anybody, the disruptive is in their TOS. You agreed to that, therefore you have no legal grounds to sue AT&T for cutting you off.

karanpkaran

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
iPhone to iPhone

If I am not interested in bluetooth internet tethering or WiFi internet tethering, can I exchange data between iPhones?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.