Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I dont see an issue with tethering your iphone to ipad. its not like its a computer and your running torrents and such. ATT has allowed apps like slingbox and have even ok'ed skype over 3g even tho skype hasnt taken advantage of it. So just dont be a bone head. Dont use it for 24 hours staight downloading big files or streaming files and youll be fine. the ipad uses pretty much the same amount of data for regular browsing as the iphone so I don't see the harm in using your phone to give data to the bigger screen.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Just be aware that MyWi has some bugs, it can eat your battery life pretty fast and often require a reboot to turn off the hotspot. Don't abuse it either, AT&T will figure out what you're doing from the massive bandwidth jump.

/sigh

How many times do I have to say this? There have been ZERO cases where AT&T did diddly squat about anyone using MyWi.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
If I am not interested in bluetooth internet tethering or WiFi internet tethering, can I exchange data between iPhones?

If you look at Apple's information page it says that the PAN (Personal Area Network) profile:

Supports Bluetooth peer-to-peer connectivity for applications.

This is for such situations as the Scrabble application where you can use iPhones to hold tiles or in the Flight Control app where two people can play at the same time. It appears to be limited to Apple "approved" data connection in applications.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
I have known people who gotten calls from AT&T about this, and often get warnings from them before AT&T cut them off for "disrupting the service". It's not about how much stuff you download, but how much bandwidth you suck from other users on that cell network near you. Disruptive is the keyword here. People bitching about dropping calls and slow internet is much more an issue for AT&T than the tethering and jailbreaking. They rather cut you and lose customer than to lose several more.

I call BS on this. I'm sorry. It would be ALL OVER THE INTERNET if even a sole person got calls from AT&T about MyWi. Period. You are making stuff up.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I read somewhere that MyWi can fry the wifi chip in your phone so Ive been using it sparingly. has anyone heard anything about that?

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Seriously you guys... Engadget would be heralding it all over the place if jailbroken iphones were causing huge bills from AT&T or if it was frying iphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.