Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheTruth101

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2017
And now everything is slow. Youtube takes forever, everything is messed up and I have the top of the line iPhone X.

I have been canceling updates for several months but today I realized it updated itself.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
It cannot update itself without entering in your pin and accepting that it will update overnight. You probably inadvertently did it. But I highly doubt your phone is now slower by going to the latest release, especially being an X. Later releases are more stable and have many performance improvements.

Try rebooting your device. If it just updated, its probably still indexing.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
It cannot update itself without entering in your pin and accepting that it will update overnight. You probably inadvertently did it. But I highly doubt your phone is now slower by going to the latest release, especially being an X. Later releases are more stable and have many performance improvements.

Try rebooting your device. If it just updated, its probably still indexing.

Bingo.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Should’ve installed a tvOS profile if you don’t want it to update. But what happened is you probably hit the button to update when it popped up. My old lady did that once.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
What made the X slow? Why avoid updates? Mine is up to date and not slow. My 8 is up to date and not slow.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
And now everything is slow. Youtube takes forever, everything is messed up and I have the top of the line iPhone X.

I have been canceling updates for several months but today I realized it updated itself.

That’s how Apple gets their touted “% of users running the latest iOS” numbers. Seriously. Many times it’s an automatic download and then even the prompt to deny the install is confusing. And usually it will update overnight and once plugged in to charge. It really should be a more transparent, and user-friendly process. IMO

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Best way to avoid this is to press later, put in your pin, then when the agreement comes up press disagree.

That has worked on my iPad running 10.3.3.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That’s how Apple gets their touted “% of users running the latest iOS” numbers. Seriously. Many times it’s an automatic download and then even the prompt to deny the install is confusing. And usually it will update overnight and once plugged in to charge. It really should be a more transparent, and user-friendly process. IMO
This makes life much easier as a developer

jsrutherford

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2019
i know people are insisting that this can’t happen but my phone just did the same thing at a random time, 10:21am or something, while I was in the middle of an unusually long and heartfelt text message. There is no way that I inadvertently gave it permission to do this. Not cool iPhone!

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
i know people are insisting that this can’t happen but my phone just did the same thing at a random time, 10:21am or something, while I was in the middle of an unusually long and heartfelt text message. There is no way that I inadvertently gave it permission to do this. Not cool iPhone!
I’m on 12.1.2 every morning I get a pop up saying there’s a new update ready to install and I just ignore it. It does not install on its own.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The update won't install without direct intervention on your part. You hove to enter the passcode.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m on 12.1.2 every morning I get a pop up saying there’s a new update ready to install and I just ignore it. It does not install on its own.
You probably have it downloaded on your device and can delete it from storage settings if you don't want it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The interesting thing was that I had always wanted my phone to just auto update. My 6S and iPad Pro don’t seem to get the push OTA updates timely. Sometimes i didn’t realize there’s an update until I saw an article at Macrumors about Apple stopped signing an older version, and then I checked my devices, and Lo and behold they’re still on the older version until I manually initiated the update checking.

Just an interesting observation. :)

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019

LISTEN UP!!!!
Apple is breaking the law!
You CAN sue them.
You SHOULD sue them.

Read this post, it's not as long as it looks.

To everyone saying that you MUST interact with the device for it to update, YOU ARE INCORRECT!
I understand why you believe that the user MUST confirm the update in order for it to occur.
It's the same reason why people believe that police brutality doesn't really happen.
That reason is "Because it hasn't specifically happened to you" ...yet.
I am not a typical consumer who just buys things, and doesn't understand how they work. I will not bore you by telling you, I'm a computer or IT "guy" (..though I am), to make what I'm about to tell you more believable. Between last night and this morning (5/12/19 - 5/13/19) my iPhone XS on firmware 12.1.2 updated itself without ANY interaction/prompting from myself. Not only that, but it didn't even update to the latest version of iOS which is 12.3, instead it was updated to iOS 12.2.

Why you should Listen Up
Because this is a REAL problem, that with the help of nay-sayers, will not be addressed until it happens to someone significant. The FIRST thing to do is contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC.gov) and make a REAL formal complaint about how Apple, a tri/billion dollar company is waging an assault on your property. They are jeopardizing our freedom as consumers. Our right to privacy, and freedom to control how we use are property.

Next I contacted Apple and had a 1hr 12min talk with 3 different representatives. The call was recorded, and you would NOT believe what one of the less-informed reps had to say about the matter. I did not threaten them with a lawsuit, but I did explain my very real probable cause for filing a lawsuit, and that I was/am actively working on just that. No matter how silly or insignificant it 'seems' to you guys (even the ones that it happened to, Apple has committed a REAL and SERIOUS crime. Even if it was unintentional. Don't just say "This sucks" and then move on with your life. That is what Apple wants you to do, give up. But companies do stuff like this EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY.. EVERRRYYYY DAAAYYYYY!!! Until they caught, and even AFTER they get caught. Because the numbers are STILL in their favor. Normal people like yourselves just assume that "It's a major company so obviously, they follow the rules." This is false. And you have rights as an American Consumer. And the entity entrusted with protecting those rights, is the FCC the Federal Communications Commission.

I would really appreciate anyone who has had a similar situation reach out to me, so that we can form a class to sue Apple as a whole instead of individually. Yes, this is a BIG deal. Yes you own your device, and YES some guy came into your home and changed your **** without your permission. YES YOU SHOULD BE OFFENDED AND RAISE HELL ABOUT it. NO, you should not be discouraged because people on the internet are telling you that you made it all up, or that it didn't happen the way you say it happened.

PLEASE SHARE THIS.. I had to make a MacRumors account just to post this. In order to gain even more support, I'm going to have to post this in quite a few places so people notice it. It would help if you guys lent a hand and shared this in other places.

My email is TekHax@dubhits.com (yes that is my email, don't ask why)

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
LISTEN UP!!!!
You CAN sue them.
You SHOULD sue them.

To everyone saying that you MUST interact with the device for it to update, YOU ARE INCORRECT!
I understand why you believe that the user MUST confirm the update in order for it to occur.
It's the same reason why people believe that police brutality doesn't really happen.
I am not a typical consumer who just buys things, and doesn't understand how they work. I will not bore you by telling you, I'm a computer or IT "guy" (..though I am), to make what I'm about to tell you more believable. Between last night and this morning (5/12/19 - 5/13/19) my iPhone XS on firmware 12.1.2 updated itself without ANY interaction/prompting from myself. Not only that, but it didn't even update to the latest version of iOS which is 12.3, instead it was updated to iOS 12.2.

Why you should Listen Up
Because this is a REAL problem, that with the help of nay-sayers, will not be addressed until it happens to someone significant. The FIRST thing to do is contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC.gov) and make a REAL formal complaint about how Apple, a tri/billion dollar company is waging an assault on your property. They are jeopardizing our freedom as consumers. Our right to privacy, and freedom to control how we use are property.

Next I contacted Apple and had a 1hr 12min talk with 3 different representatives. The call was recorded, and you would NOT believe what one of the less-informed reps had to say about the matter. I did not threaten them with a lawsuit, but I did explain my very real probable cause for filing a lawsuit, and that I was/am actively working on just that. No matter how silly or insignificant it 'seems' to you guys (even the ones that it happened to, Apple has committed a REAL and SERIOUS crime. Even if it was unintentional. Don't just say "This sucks" and then move on with your life. That is what Apple wants you to do, give up. But companies do stuff like this EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY.. EVERRRYYYY DAAAYYYYY!!! Until they caught, and even AFTER they get caught. Because the numbers are STILL in their favor. Normal people like yourselves just assume that "It's a major company so obviously, they follow the rules." This is false. And you have rights as an American Consumer. And the entity entrusted with protecting those rights, is the FCC the Federal Communications Commission.

I would really appreciate anyone who has had a similar situation reach out to me, so that we can form a class to sue Apple as a whole instead of individually. Yes, this is a BIG deal. Yes you own your device, and YES some guy came into your home and changed your **** without your permission. YES YOU SHOULD BE OFFENDED AND RAISE HELL ABOUT it. NO, you should not be discouraged because people on the internet are telling you that you made it all up, or that it didn't happen the way you say it happened.

PLEASE SHARE THIS.. I had to make a MacRumors account just to post this. In order to gain even more support, I'm going to have to post this in quite a few places so people notice it. It would help if you guys lent a hand and shared this in other places.

As has been stated many many times, the only way to have this happen is you enter your passcode or have it set to do automatic updates. All are your fault and this insane post is way overblown.

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
As has been stated many many times, the only way to have this happen is you enter your passcode or have it set to do automatic updates. All are your fault and this insane post is way overblown.

True.. and the only way to hear a FaceTime conversation is if you answer the call when someone FaceTimes you. Right? Wrong. Software can and sometimes DOES have bugs in it, that's just the way life is.

Last edited by a moderator:

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
I don't understand the update phobia, to be honest. Especially if you have an iPhone 8 or newer.

If you don't understand.. that's okay.
Some people however, DO understand. And value their right to have their property, data, and information set how THEY choose.
[doublepost=1557777469][/doublepost]
Even better - turn off automatic updates in Settings->General->Software Update.

I think you are missing the point.
But for the record.. I will loudly declare "Automatic Updates was and STILL is OFF even after the update"
Also, I did NOT accept or direct my device to update itself, presently or in the future.
Otherwise, there would be no real issue here.

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Let us know how your lawsuit goes.

Sure, I will try to update the world if I've the time.

On a side-note here's another example:
You are a tenant living in an apartment. The landlord, without prior notice, walks into your apartment while you're sleeping. He/she moves your furniture around and then leaves. You wake up and you're like WTF!? But you don't do anything about it, because in your silly unrighteous mind you think "Well, technically the landlord owns the whole building, so he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants since I live here."

This is how typical people think. And this is why the rights of typical people are violated often and without recourse. People always go on about "I have rights!", but they don't know what their right are.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
LISTEN UP!!!!
You CAN sue them.
You SHOULD sue them.

Why you should Listen Up

Relax. Your post is screaming and alarmist with no supporting proof.
You’ll get more support with a well written and thought out post.
Tech “guy”?
I’m sure you’ll be posting this all over the place.
Doubt anyone will be clicking that address link.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
If you don't understand.. that's okay.
Some people however, DO understand. And value their right to have their property, data, and information set how THEY choose.
[doublepost=1557777469][/doublepost]

I think you are missing the point.
But for the record.. I will loudly declare "Automatic Updates was and STILL is OFF even after the update"
Also, I did NOT accept or direct my device to update itself, presently or in the future.
Otherwise, there would be no real issue here.

You agree to the terms of the carrier and use of the software on the device as is. If there's bugs they get fixed. This however is not a bug in the least and it also isn't in place to misrepresent anything. Devices do not.. cannot and will not automatically update. There's absolutely several factors to insure this does not happen. And you are presented with several right in your face to make sure if there is an update you know about it. Full screen time to decline is one of them. Not to mention the countdown box also in your face. And if you plugged your device in and had gone to your about section of your device.. the phone itself automatically downloads the latest update file. You can simply delete the file at any time and guess what.. no update occurs. But if you put in your passcode and didn't decline but said remind or update later then yes.. it's your fault for not reading the content on the screen. Good luck with your lawsuit, but you have zero leg to stand on as this isn't an issue at all except for the end user not paying attention.

Reactions: DevinNj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.