Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sure, I will try to update the world if I've the time.

On a side-note here's another example:
You are a tenant living in an apartment. The landlord, without prior notice, walks into your apartment while you're sleeping. He/she moves your furniture around and then leaves. You wake up and you're like WTF!? But you don't do anything about it, because in your silly unrighteous mind you think "Well, technically the landlord owns the whole building, so he can do whatever he wants whenever he wants since I live here."

This is how typical people think. And this is why the rights of typical people are violated often and without recourse. People always go on about "I have rights!", but they don't know what their right are.
Great. You own the metal and glass. Apple always has and always will own the software and can do what they wish with it. You’ve agreed to it from the moment you turned the thing on.

Move along folks. Just another “Jr. IT” tech who doesn’t know what active directory even is, but still tries to say he’s a computer guy.

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Great. You own the metal and glass. Apple always has and always will own the software and can do what they wish with it. You’ve agreed to it from the moment you turned the thing on.

Move along folks. Just another “Jr. IT” tech who doesn’t know what active directory even is, but still tries to say he’s a computer guy.

lololololololol active directory was the most IT'ish thing you could come up with?
A phrase that explains itself? lol

I'm not astounded by the fact that the only people who are even willing to reply to my posting, are people with negative things to say. But it's not even that you're saying negative things... it's more that you are just being straight-up mean. And for what reason are you doing this? When you could literally just ignore it?

My post was intended to unite the people who were the victims of an unfortunate circumstance. If you are not one of those people, don't hate. Just shake your head, keep your unnecessary cruel thoughts to yourself, and move on to the next post that relates to you.

Or is that something that only adults would do?

Last edited by a moderator:

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
LISTEN UP!!!!
Apple is breaking the law!
You CAN sue them.
You SHOULD sue them.

Read this post, it's not as long as it looks.

To everyone saying that you MUST interact with the device for it to update, YOU ARE INCORRECT!
I understand why you believe that the user MUST confirm the update in order for it to occur.
It's the same reason why people believe that police brutality doesn't really happen.
That reason is "Because it hasn't specifically happened to you" ...yet.
I am not a typical consumer who just buys things, and doesn't understand how they work. I will not bore you by telling you, I'm a computer or IT "guy" (..though I am), to make what I'm about to tell you more believable. Between last night and this morning (5/12/19 - 5/13/19) my iPhone XS on firmware 12.1.2 updated itself without ANY interaction/prompting from myself. Not only that, but it didn't even update to the latest version of iOS which is 12.3, instead it was updated to iOS 12.2.

Why you should Listen Up
Because this is a REAL problem, that with the help of nay-sayers, will not be addressed until it happens to someone significant. The FIRST thing to do is contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC.gov) and make a REAL formal complaint about how Apple, a tri/billion dollar company is waging an assault on your property. They are jeopardizing our freedom as consumers. Our right to privacy, and freedom to control how we use are property.

Next I contacted Apple and had a 1hr 12min talk with 3 different representatives. The call was recorded, and you would NOT believe what one of the less-informed reps had to say about the matter. I did not threaten them with a lawsuit, but I did explain my very real probable cause for filing a lawsuit, and that I was/am actively working on just that. No matter how silly or insignificant it 'seems' to you guys (even the ones that it happened to, Apple has committed a REAL and SERIOUS crime. Even if it was unintentional. Don't just say "This sucks" and then move on with your life. That is what Apple wants you to do, give up. But companies do stuff like this EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY.. EVERRRYYYY DAAAYYYYY!!! Until they caught, and even AFTER they get caught. Because the numbers are STILL in their favor. Normal people like yourselves just assume that "It's a major company so obviously, they follow the rules." This is false. And you have rights as an American Consumer. And the entity entrusted with protecting those rights, is the FCC the Federal Communications Commission.

I would really appreciate anyone who has had a similar situation reach out to me, so that we can form a class to sue Apple as a whole instead of individually. Yes, this is a BIG deal. Yes you own your device, and YES some guy came into your home and changed your **** without your permission. YES YOU SHOULD BE OFFENDED AND RAISE HELL ABOUT it. NO, you should not be discouraged because people on the internet are telling you that you made it all up, or that it didn't happen the way you say it happened.

PLEASE SHARE THIS.. I had to make a MacRumors account just to post this. In order to gain even more support, I'm going to have to post this in quite a few places so people notice it. It would help if you guys lent a hand and shared this in other places.

My email is TekHax@dubhits.com (yes that is my email, don't ask why)
My XS Max still on 12.1.2, that alerts me every morning that there’s an update available, says good luck with your lawsuit.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
lololololololol active directory was the most IT'ish thing you could come up with?
A phrase that explains itself? lol

I'm not astounded by the fact that the only people who are even willing to reply to my posting, are people with negative things to say. But it's not even that you're saying negative things... it's more that you are just being straight-up mean. And for what reason are you doing this? When you could literally just ignore it?

My post was intended to unite the people who were the victims of an unfortunate circumstance. If you are not one of those people, don't hate. Just shake your head, keep your unnecessary cruel thoughts to yourself, and move on to the next post that relates to you.

Or is that something that only adults would do?
Hey bud,
Admitting you made a mistake by tapping “install later” then entering your passcode to authorize it (which is the only way to authorize an update without automatic updates turned on) is difficult, but it’s what makes us adults.

HenshinMijin

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
Hey bud,
Admitting you made a mistake by tapping “install later” then entering your passcode to authorize it (which is the only way to authorize an update without automatic updates turned on) is difficult, but it’s what makes us adults.

Yea.. I slipped, fell, and landed on my passcode digits in the correct order. All by accident. I was completely unaware. How could I be so stupid...?
[doublepost=1557931868][/doublepost]Check this article out-> http://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/05/you-should-want-apple-to-lose.html

It describes another instance of how people live with something as the norm, even though it's against the law.
Typical people would think: Apple owns the Apple store, it's THEIRS! They don't have to "play fair". If you want to use their Apple Store, you do what Apple says, PERIOD. Or get lost.

But that's just not the case. There are rules and regulations about business practices. And it all comes down to Fairness and Freedom for the consumer.

Reactions: HeadphoneAddict

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Yea.. I slipped, fell, and landed on my passcode digits in the correct order. All by accident. I was completely unaware. How could I be so stupid...?
[doublepost=1557931868][/doublepost]Check this article out-> http://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/05/you-should-want-apple-to-lose.html

It describes another instance of how people live with something as the norm, even though it's against the law.
Typical people would think: Apple owns the Apple store, it's THEIRS! They don't have to "play fair". If you want to use their Apple Store, you do what Apple says, PERIOD. Or get lost.

But that's just not the case. There are rules and regulations about business practices. And it all comes down to Fairness and Freedom for the consumer.
Exactly, like making the mistake of referring to the App Store as the Apple Store. Mistakes happen.
I suggest you stop using Apple altogether and possibly smartphones. Sounds like this is all just too much for you.

Reactions: s15119

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Maybe some things with Apple should change. However from apple’s perspective i can see why they wouldn’t want this, as this could drag down the Apple experience potentially.

At any rate winning the court case isnt up to you or me or any of the posters in this thread. So we will see what happens.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Especially when updates often include security fixes/improvements. My phone is an important tool in my life. I have a lot of my personal data on it. One reason why I use Apple, because I believe they value security and privacy more than most companies.

I've always updated. Since every update, for awhile now, as other posted mentioned, has required your PIN and accepting several screens, I don't see how anyone could update accidentally. In fact, having to type in my PIN and accepting several screens annoys the **** out of me.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
That’s how Apple gets their touted “% of users running the latest iOS” numbers. Seriously. Many times it’s an automatic download and then even the prompt to deny the install is confusing. And usually it will update overnight and once plugged in to charge. It really should be a more transparent, and user-friendly process. IMO

Upgrades are good.
[doublepost=1557952424][/doublepost]
LISTEN UP!!!!
Apple is breaking the law!
You CAN sue them.
You SHOULD sue them.

Read this post, it's not as long as it looks.

To everyone saying that you MUST interact with the device for it to update, YOU ARE INCORRECT!
I understand why you believe that the user MUST confirm the update in order for it to occur.
It's the same reason why people believe that police brutality doesn't really happen.
That reason is "Because it hasn't specifically happened to you" ...yet.
I am not a typical consumer who just buys things, and doesn't understand how they work. I will not bore you by telling you, I'm a computer or IT "guy" (..though I am), to make what I'm about to tell you more believable. Between last night and this morning (5/12/19 - 5/13/19) my iPhone XS on firmware 12.1.2 updated itself without ANY interaction/prompting from myself. Not only that, but it didn't even update to the latest version of iOS which is 12.3, instead it was updated to iOS 12.2.

Why you should Listen Up
Because this is a REAL problem, that with the help of nay-sayers, will not be addressed until it happens to someone significant. The FIRST thing to do is contact the Federal Communication Commission (FCC.gov) and make a REAL formal complaint about how Apple, a tri/billion dollar company is waging an assault on your property. They are jeopardizing our freedom as consumers. Our right to privacy, and freedom to control how we use are property.

Next I contacted Apple and had a 1hr 12min talk with 3 different representatives. The call was recorded, and you would NOT believe what one of the less-informed reps had to say about the matter. I did not threaten them with a lawsuit, but I did explain my very real probable cause for filing a lawsuit, and that I was/am actively working on just that. No matter how silly or insignificant it 'seems' to you guys (even the ones that it happened to, Apple has committed a REAL and SERIOUS crime. Even if it was unintentional. Don't just say "This sucks" and then move on with your life. That is what Apple wants you to do, give up. But companies do stuff like this EVERY DAY. EVERY DAY.. EVERRRYYYY DAAAYYYYY!!! Until they caught, and even AFTER they get caught. Because the numbers are STILL in their favor. Normal people like yourselves just assume that "It's a major company so obviously, they follow the rules." This is false. And you have rights as an American Consumer. And the entity entrusted with protecting those rights, is the FCC the Federal Communications Commission.

I would really appreciate anyone who has had a similar situation reach out to me, so that we can form a class to sue Apple as a whole instead of individually. Yes, this is a BIG deal. Yes you own your device, and YES some guy came into your home and changed your **** without your permission. YES YOU SHOULD BE OFFENDED AND RAISE HELL ABOUT it. NO, you should not be discouraged because people on the internet are telling you that you made it all up, or that it didn't happen the way you say it happened.

PLEASE SHARE THIS.. I had to make a MacRumors account just to post this. In order to gain even more support, I'm going to have to post this in quite a few places so people notice it. It would help if you guys lent a hand and shared this in other places.

My email is TekHax@dubhits.com (yes that is my email, don't ask why)

My advice. Go for a swim. Life is beautiful. or go hire a lawyer. Be sure and get a good one. Apple is used to being sued by people using colored fonts to get attention. It's not a good look. Go for the swim. You'll feel better.
[doublepost=1557952660][/doublepost]
If you don't understand.. that's okay.
Some people however, DO understand. And value their right to have their property, data, and information set how THEY choose.
[doublepost=1557777469][/doublepost]

I think you are missing the point.
But for the record.. I will loudly declare "Automatic Updates was and STILL is OFF even after the update"
Also, I did NOT accept or direct my device to update itself, presently or in the future.
Otherwise, there would be no real issue here.

Nope. No one understands. That's because everything you've said is incorrect. Have a nice day.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
If you don't understand.. that's okay.
Some people however, DO understand. And value their right to have their property, data, and information set how THEY choose.
[doublepost=1557777469][/doublepost]

I think you are missing the point.
But for the record.. I will loudly declare "Automatic Updates was and STILL is OFF even after the update"
Also, I did NOT accept or direct my device to update itself, presently or in the future.
Otherwise, there would be no real issue here.
There is no issue here, you mistakenly updated your phone.

Attachments

• DAFE9E21-052E-46D8-8E38-E17AC5D7B230.jpeg
    DAFE9E21-052E-46D8-8E38-E17AC5D7B230.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 120
  • D13C1483-7D13-4417-BB09-6818ED6BF11E.jpeg
    D13C1483-7D13-4417-BB09-6818ED6BF11E.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: s15119

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
All four of my Apple devices switched on the “install iOS updates” automatically when they were only ever set to download iOS but never install it.

I am still on iOS 13.7 for my iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 7 Plus, iPad mini 5, and iPhone SE. I was waiting to update my primary iPhone with Apple Watch Series 5 until Apple fixes the bug with losing watch GPS data in activity app (for old data and new data) for many people. The only fix is to backup, wipe, and restore your devices. And there are other bugs I didn't want to deal with.

I also want all my devices to be on the same version of iOS, since often “continuity” and wifi calling on multiple devices breaks when devices are not on the same version. And many iOS updates give worse battery life for longer than just the first 2-3 days for spotlight to re-index files, and if this happens before a long trip it could be a real problem (like my 7 day trip to AZ last week). So I have to be careful to pick a safe time to update. I always manually back up to the computer and iCloud before I manually update, and since 2009 I have NEVER USED auto update.

Lastly, my iOS 13.7 has been pretty stable for me and I usually wait for at least the 3rd iOS revision before updating for the 1st time each year, or at least for the 1st update AFTER the new phones show up in stores.

Last night I took my dog outside, and while using my iPhone 11 Pro Max it gave me an alert that it would be installing iOS 14.1 sometime tonight! If not for my dog I would have awoken to the update being done. AND NO I'M NOT AN IDIOT AND I DID NOT RESPOND TO A REQUEST TO UPDATE BY ENTERING MY PIN to update later on any of the four devices. This was not my error.

I went through all four devices, one by one, to see that iOS automatic update was turned on, and I turned it off again! This feature has been off on all my devices, or they would’ve already been on iOS 14.01 or 14.1 already, not 13.7. By the time I got to my iPhone 7 Plus it was preparing to update, but had not started yet - so I turned off auto update and rebooted. After that I deleted the iOS update file and was still on 13.7. (I’d never reboot if the update was going on).

So, I was pretty ticked off. I have no idea what kind of bug would cause each and every one of my Apple devices to switch iOS auto update from OFF to ON with 4 different devices without my permission, when I didn't even bring the iPhone SE on my trip to AZ this past week. I can maybe see an update happening on just one device by accidentally typing my iOS device password during an update request, which tells it to do it later, but NO WAY did I go into settings on all four devices and change auto update to ON.

This AM I asked my wife to let me see her iPhone 8 and I told her about this bug. She said that her iPad mini 5 had auto updated last night, and I saw that her iPhone 8 was warning us that it was also going to update tonight! So this issue is not even tied to just devices on my Apple ID, but affected her as well.

I just checked her old iPhone 7 that I keep as a spare, and it was also in the process of updating, as was my deceased brother’s iPhone 7+ and my daughter's iPad Air 2 (I keep them charged in the desk). All of my wife's devices had previously been set to auto update OFF, but Apple remotely switched it to ON with all 3 of her devices somehow!

But my brother’s 7+ was saying “update requested” and yet auto update was clearly still off - not remotely switched on like ours. It was the same with my daughter’s iPad Air 2, which showed autoupdates off but “update requested” and it was downloading iOS 14.1. We have not touched my brother's 7+ or the iPad Air 2 in the 8 days we were gone in Arizona last week, until today to check this issue, so there was no way anyone could have unlocked the devices and approved the updates while autoupdate was off.

If you don't specifically DELETE the downloaded iOS update file in Settings > General > iPhone Storage then the device will try to install again later without your permission!

7 of 9 DEVICES on 4 different Apple ID had this happen at the same time, and 2 of the 9 on 2 different Apple ID were preparing to update with auto update still off! Has anyone else had this happen to them recently?

Attachments

• IMG_7463.png
    IMG_7463.png
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0007.png
    IMG_0007.png
    978 KB · Views: 44
Reactions: Septembersrain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.