Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wins_lord

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2018
Seattle, WA
Hey everybody, I’ve got a weird but interesting question. Would an iUP iPhone be activated outside the US? Has anybody actually tried it?

Regarding the unlock status AFTER activation, there’s no doubt as I’ve traveled with my iPhone internationally a lot. But we know that these iPhones are also different to SIM-free iPhones on the activation page. For instance, an AT&T iPhone requires you to fill in your billing zip code and last four digits of your SSN. And that also, no matter what SIM card you had during activation, your included SIM card that ships with the iPhone would still be activated and in turn, deactivate your old one card.

Now, I have tried activating iUP iPhones with foreign SIM cards. Three times to be exact. All of them were successful, with a sidenote; Apple says your iUP phones can only be activated with AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon. With foreign SIM cards, it would still likely ring up any one of these major carriers in my experience. So technically I was still activating within the major carriers.

So, has anybody ever tried activating an iUP iPhones using a dead (No Service) SIM? Or again, activated one outside the US?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.