Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
So while looking through the terms and conditions on the iPhone Upgrade program, I discovered it says something interesting -

Applicable taxes and fees will be included in your Installment Loan if you purchase at an Apple Store

I've always done the upgrade program by pre-ordering at the moment pre-orders open up, and then you pay the taxes (along with your first payment) when you receive your iPhone (or the day it ships maybe? Something like that.

Has anyone done the upgrade program in store and rolled the taxes into the installment loan? Does it then split the taxes over the full 24 months (effectively paying less in taxes if you trade in after 12 months)?

Looking to see if anyone has experienced or done this; I tried searching and didn't see anyone talking about it, but it may be deep in the forums somewhere.

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
Yeah I noticed that when I was going to upgrade this year. No one has any answers and I don't know why either. I assume you'll have to ask Citizens. My issue is that the stores launch barely has any iPhones for sale for non pre-orders. So you'll probably be waiting a few weeks.

WaterOz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
I was able to purchase in store on launch day… however, I didn’t realize until after I left that my tax was still charged separately. So much for wrapping it into the payments. 🤷‍♂️

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
So while looking through the terms and conditions on the iPhone Upgrade program, I discovered it says something interesting -

Applicable taxes and fees will be included in your Installment Loan if you purchase at an Apple Store

I've always done the upgrade program by pre-ordering at the moment pre-orders open up, and then you pay the taxes (along with your first payment) when you receive your iPhone (or the day it ships maybe? Something like that.

Has anyone done the upgrade program in store and rolled the taxes into the installment loan? Does it then split the taxes over the full 24 months (effectively paying less in taxes if you trade in after 12 months)?

Looking to see if anyone has experienced or done this; I tried searching and didn't see anyone talking about it, but it may be deep in the forums somewhere.
I did once three years ago. The tax had to be paid upfront. I am not sure it was changed afterwards. Per my understanding, tax cannot be split on installments.

iNICK20

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
I did once three years ago. The tax had to be paid upfront. I am not sure it was changed afterwards. Per my understanding, tax cannot be split on installments.
But the website states you can. LMAO. So I don't know what's the correct answer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.