Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
Did you read the the first post?
I tested my iPad Pro and MacBook ports and none feel like this
iPad Pro and MacBooks also use USB-C. And I can confirm it on my 5 years old 2018 iPad Pro: it's rock solid and not fragile at all!

So what's wrong with USB-C in general? Maybe it just the way, Apple designed the connector in the iPhone 15 series that "sucks".... 🙃

Lifeisabeach

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2022
I've only used the USB-C port on my iP15P a few times, so I can't say anything about that, but I have used it quite a lot on my iPad Pro and MacBook Air for the past 3+ years and they aren't wiggly at all. Given that, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with USB-C as a port in this regard.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
No problem with mine.

USB-C is used in thousands of different devices so yeah you can keep hating on the big bad EU all you want. It's here to stay and it's good that EU forced Apple to move to a modern port.

DaPhox

Suspended
Oct 23, 2019

iPad Pro and MacBooks also use USB-C. And I can confirm it on my 5 years old 2018 iPad Pro: it's rock solid and not fragile at all!

So what's wrong with USB-C in general? Maybe it just the way, Apple designed the connector in the iPhone 15 series that "sucks".... 🙃
No usb c is poorly designed by default. At least compared to lightning….

DarkHorsed

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2023
Elm Springs, AR
My USB-C charger falls out from the port from time to time from random wiggles when using while charging. I cleaned out some lint that was in the port and it’s a little bit better now, but it will still fall out of its connectors from time to time. The charger will still be in the port but I will notice my phone isn’t charging anymore so I have to push it back in. It can get pretty annoying.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Just checked it with my iPhone 15 with Apple’s own and Anker cables. I can indeed wiggle them a bit as described in the Reddit post (Apple’s cable wiggles a bit more vs Anker), yet it does not affect the connection’s quality or functionality in my case, working just fine for both charging and wired CarPlay.

FWIW, my father usually wears out any Lightning port within about 6-9 months, as he uses it a lot for plugging his iPhone into a TV with Apple’s DVI adapter.

Sunset Cassette

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
Canada
Personal experience and mileage may vary, but I have used USB-C across many different devices (Galaxy S8, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3, Pixel 4XL, iPad Pro 5th Gen, Razer Blade, PS5, Sony WF-1000XM3, etc.) in the last several years and have never had any issues with a loose connector or inconsistent charging while plugged in.

Also while working in cellular sales/support for the last seven years, I find it far less common that clients come in with charging port issues on USB-C devices.

Just yesterday I spent several minutes unclogging a lightning port (a common occurrence) which had been so jammed full of lint and dust that the iPhone simply would not charge anymore. Not to say this sort of thing can't happen to USB-C, but I've come across it far less frequently in my line of work.

Like it or not, USB-C is here to stay for the foreseeable future, and having a universal cable that is compatible with a wide variety of products is really a pretty great win for consumers in the end.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
Yup, I always said the USB-C port is a disaster vs. the secure and reliable lightning connector. Now it's confirmed: USB-C sucks. The connection is fragile at best:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16putnb

Mine is the same.

Thanks, EU. You forced an inferior port on all of us. Horrible.
Don't blame the EU, please. USB-C is a solid design both software wise and hardware wise. It's not an inferior port by any means. There are countless USB-C ports in the world by now, including many millions of Apple hardware. There is something wrong with those particular ports you're talking about.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Yup, I always said the USB-C port is a disaster vs. the secure and reliable lightning connector. Now it's confirmed: USB-C sucks. The connection is fragile at best:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16putnb

Mine is the same.

Thanks, EU. You forced an inferior port on all of us. Horrible.
If one random person reporting a loose USB-C port means USB-C port is terrible, then it must mean that multiple random peoplle reporting about a loose lightning port means lightning is very bad, right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/zhi4kw
I just got my brand new iPhone 14 Pro after switching from my Pixel 5a like 2 weeks ago.

I noticed both my work iPhone 12 and personal iPhone 14 Pro has a “loose charging port”?

Let me explain. I plug in my Lighting cable into my iPhone, and wiggle it up and down slightly. I notice it wiggles a bit and it makes a sound like the inside of it is moving and hitting another part inside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1044cf7
so i have iPhone 13 for bit less than a year now and i noticed that in the last month or so my charging port became loose, i tried other cables still loose, only charges in certain angles, thought maybe got some dust buildup from the pockets, cleaned carefully with a toothpick and blew it with compressed air but its still the same.

Anyone else had a problem with this and was anyone able to find an easy fix or do i need to send it for a repair, not to keen on waiting up to a month for it to get serviced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/q53c43 I have a iphone 13 pro max that I just replaced before my 15 day window ends. I barely charged my phone since the battery life is really good. So I found out much later. I found out at night hearing the charging sound go off and on. So I wiggled the lightning side in my phone and that kickstarted the disconnection sometimes. I thought it was a defective wire but it definitely wasn't so I hope everyone gives there lightning port with the wire in a good wiggle and slight tug to see if anything happens.

Last edited:

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Don't blame the EU, please. USB-C is a solid design both software wise and hardware wise. It's not an inferior port by any means. There are countless USB-C ports in the world by now, including many millions of Apple hardware. There is something wrong with those particular ports you're talking about.
Nope. USB-C has always been a less stable connection than Lightning. USB-C connections get looser over time. And it certainly is the EU’s fault. Now there will be hundreds of tons of Lightning cables dumped into landfills because of them.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
If one random person reporting a loose USB-C port means USB-C port is terrible, then it must mean that multiple random peoplle reporting about a loose lightning port means lightning is very bad, right?

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/zhi4kw
I just got my brand new iPhone 14 Pro after switching from my Pixel 5a like 2 weeks ago.

I noticed both my work iPhone 12 and personal iPhone 14 Pro has a “loose charging port”?

Let me explain. I plug in my Lighting cable into my iPhone, and wiggle it up and down slightly. I notice it wiggles a bit and it makes a sound like the inside of it is moving and hitting another part inside.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/1044cf7
so i have iPhone 13 for bit less than a year now and i noticed that in the last month or so my charging port became loose, i tried other cables still loose, only charges in certain angles, thought maybe got some dust buildup from the pockets, cleaned carefully with a toothpick and blew it with compressed air but its still the same.

Anyone else had a problem with this and was anyone able to find an easy fix or do i need to send it for a repair, not to keen on waiting up to a month for it to get serviced.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/q53c43 I have a iphone 13 pro max that I just replaced before my 15 day window ends. I barely charged my phone since the battery life is really good. So I found out much later. I found out at night hearing the charging sound go off and on. So I wiggled the lightning side in my phone and that kickstarted the disconnection sometimes. I thought it was a defective wire but it definitely wasn't so I hope everyone gives there lightning port with the wire in a good wiggle and slight tug to see if anything happens.
Lightning connections are physically much more robust. Fact.

Any name

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2023

What’s wrong with usb-c? My two cents: lightning is male to female. The cable is male, and there’s only a hole in the device, with the connectors.

The male part of a USB-c cable is actually a female in disguise. The device socket has a tiny male piece floating barely attached to the chassis. It risks breaking.

I’ve got a mini usb device with that shotty design. Due to neglect, The plastic floating cisgender protuberance got broken and now the connectors touch each other.

That’s why I agree with whoever claims that usb-c is mediocre design compared to lightning. Maybe Apple should have open-sourced the design or maybe it became obsolete because usb-c has better specs

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Also have to consider that some people might buy cheap, poor quality, trashy USB C cables with fragile connectors. Stick to U Green, Anker, Apple etc cables from reputable companies.
Yep. I have noticed the difference. When I plug in the USB-C cable my iPhone 15 came with, it snaps in crisply and firmly. When I have tried a couple of the "who knows where this came from" cables I have kicking around, they don't always have as good a fit.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013

You don’t carry your mb or iPad with a powerbank connected in your pockets.

inquirerGeneral

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2022
Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.