Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
According to whom?
According to anybody who's ever used USB-C and Lightning connectors and evaluated their robustness over time. I've experienced many loose USB-C connectors in Macs. Some click into place, some don't; some wiggle, some don't. Each time you plug in Lightning, there is a robust and tangible click and reliable connection. I've only experienced a loose Lightning connection once or twice since it's introduction on my iPhone 5 in September 2012.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
According to anybody who's ever used USB-C and Lightning connectors and evaluated their robustness over time. I've experienced many loose USB-C connectors in Macs
I used both ports for years and I honestly don't see a noticeable difference in robustness. I also noticed that dust accumulates easily in the Ligthning port compared to USB-C.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
I’ve never had a loose USB C port on anything
That's abnormal but very lucky for you! I've had 5 MacBook/Pros over the years and they're all different. Some are tight and then loosen over time; some are loose from the very beginning. Too bad the USB Forum couldn't have created a USB-C standard with the confident and robust connection of Lightning.

Matsamoto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Halmstad, Sweden
I dont have a iphone 15 so i can't tell if the USB-C connector is good or bad.
The one thing i can tell is that my USB-C on my 3 1/3 year iPad Pro 11 2020 is in mint condition🙂
Charging it almost every day, and use it alot with headphones and a usbc to 3,5mm adapter several times a day.
And i dont baby it. I plug it in.

So i don't know how it can be so bad.
I meen a USB-C on a iPhone should be the same quality as a USB-C on a iPad, if its the same manufacturer.
Perhaps Apple has lower the quality on the new connector.
In that case, that would bite Apple in the a××🙂

jpallarest

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2019

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
From my experience with Apple products yes, but YMMV. Very possible that in average the USB-C build quality is less consistent than Lightning
Yes, with over 5 Macbooks and MBPs over the years and many disconnecting harddrives, I've found the build quality of USB-C wildly inconsistent. Of course, the speed and increased compatibility are fantastic; it's just too bad the physical build quality is inferior.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
According to anybody who's ever used USB-C and Lightning connectors and evaluated their robustness over time. I've experienced many loose USB-C connectors in Macs. Some click into place, some don't; some wiggle, some don't. Each time you plug in Lightning, there is a robust and tangible click and reliable connection. I've only experienced a loose Lightning connection once or twice since it's introduction on my iPhone 5 in September 2012.
No, not according to anybody, only according to you. Please acknowledge the difference.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Yup, I always said the USB-C port is a disaster vs. the secure and reliable lightning connector. Now it's confirmed: USB-C sucks. The connection is fragile at best:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/16putnb

Mine is the same.

Thanks, EU. You forced an inferior port on all of us. Horrible.
iPhone 14 Pro/Max lightning port also loose or defective. Wide spread issue. Some threads on here about this too.

While charging, the power would disconnect and reconnect, most often if you pick up the phone to use it, but sometimes even if left on the table untouched.

I have switched to MagSafe full time because of this.

Subpar quality has been the new normal for Apple. I'm not even surprised or angry anymore.

Broken. That's iPhone. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Chuckeee

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
This thread is claiming USB-C being inferior, and it is that which must be proven.
USB-C’s physical engineering robustness is inferior. We’re not in a court of law— we’re in a forum. You can’t prove it’s not inferior either. I’ve at least given my anecdotal evidence of experience with 5 MacBooks over the years. How many USB-C vs. Lightning devices have you had experience with?

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
USB-C’s physical engineering robustness is inferior. We’re not in a court of law— we’re in a forum. You can’t prove it’s not inferior either. I’ve at least given my anecdotal evidence of experience with 5 MacBooks over the years. How many USB-C vs. Lightning devices have you had experience with?
You are entitled to your opinion, and to base it on your own experience, but it's another matter to assume that it's therefore universally so. I don't trust, as you can see, anecdotal evidence, so why should I give my own? I don't believe it says anything in general.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
You are entitled to your opinion, and to base it on your own experience, but it's another matter to assume that it's therefore universally so. I don't trust, as you can see, anecdotal evidence, so why should I give my own? I don't believe it says anything in general.
And you are entitled to yours. While personal experience with a number of devices is a small sample size, it is still a sample. And since you refuse to list yours, one might assume you don’t have much substantive experience with it.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Did you read the the first post?

iPad Pro and MacBooks also use USB-C. And I can confirm it on my 5 years old 2018 iPad Pro: it's rock solid and not fragile at all!

So what's wrong with USB-C in general? Maybe it just the way, Apple designed the connector in the iPhone 15 series that "sucks".... 🙃

Or the fact that the iPhone use a daily utility that will see way more wear and tear on the port…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.