Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
yep, same with about 30 USB-C devices in my home.
I have had one Thunderbolt cable for 2+ years that I've flipped back and forth between my 2 Macs almost every day for purposes of connecting one or the other to my workstation. Both the cable and the ports on my Macs are still perfectly fine. Everything clicks in the same as on my iPhone or my Switch or any other USB-C device I own.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I have had the connector of the USB-C cable bend, so I had to throw it away. This would have never happened with the Lightning connector as it is a solid piece of metal. In the end, USB-C is more harmful to the environment as the cables are not as reliable.

Who would have thought that Apple knows better than the EUSSR?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I have had one Thunderbolt cable for 2+ years that I've flipped back and forth between my 2 Macs almost every day for purposes of connecting one or the other to my workstation. Both the cable and the ports on my Macs are still perfectly fine. Everything clicks in the same as on my iPhone or my Switch or any other USB-C device I own.

The connector is more likely to bend because it is hollow rather than a solid piece of metal. I have had a USB-C / Thunderbolt connector bend on me before.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have had the connector of the USB-C cable bend, so I had to throw it away. This would have never happened with the Lightning connector as it is a solid piece of metal. In the end, USB-C is more harmful to the environment as the cables are not as reliable.

That is the biggest pile of BS I have read this week lol. I have had more lightning connectors fail than usb-C connectors.

I like the fact that my iPhone can now use the same charging cable as my Ipad and Macbook pro m1. With regards to strength hollow tubes are more rigid than solid tubes (substitute tubes for shape of connector).

Reactions: Barbareren

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022

Gotta agree with @robvalentine - this is utter rubbish, start to finish.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
That is the biggest pile of BS I have read this week lol. I have had more lightning connectors fail than usb-C connectors.

I like the fact that my iPhone can now use the same charging cable as my Ipad and Macbook pro m1. With regards to strength hollow tubes are more rigid than solid tubes (substitute tubes for shape of connector).

Try put alot of weight on a lightning connector and a USB-C connector and see which one bends first. Since the USB-C connector is hollow, it will bend first making it useless and you need to throw it away.

It is not BS, because I have had this happen to me.

Never had I a lighting port bend on me, which makes sense as it is 1 solid piece of metal.

• Haha

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Try put alot of weight on a lightning connector and a USB-C connector and see which one bends first. Since the USB-C connector is hollow, it will bend first making it useless and you need to throw it away.

It is not BS, because I have had this happen to me.

Never had I a lighting port bend on me, which makes sense as it is 1 solid piece of metal.
I don't use charging cables as structual entities. Never said it was BS as in it didn;t happen, I said your reasoning is BS, sorry if that was harsh.

As I have never actually bent a connector through normal use (aside from a usb a connector I stepped on by accident), that must mean they are equal strength?

I do wonder if you had a super cheap cable or were hanging something heavy off the cable lol

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Depends what it is attached to and how it is attached to it. 🤦‍♂️

I'm not saying your connector didn't break, but that your logic was fatally flawed.

The logic is not flawed at all. A “tube” is more likely to bend than a “tube” which has been filled with metal.

How can anyone think that a thin “tube” (USB-C) is stronger than a solid piece of metal (lightning port)?

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
The logic is not flawed at all. A “tube” is more likely to bend than a “tube” which has been filled with metal.

How can anyone think that a thin “tube” (USB-C) is stronger than a solid piece of metal (lightning port)?
Ok, you go and glue your solid bit of metal to a leaf, and I'll glue my tube to a lamppost, and we'll see which connection proves more robust. 😁

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
The connector is more likely to bend because it is hollow rather than a solid piece of metal. I have had a USB-C / Thunderbolt connector bend on me before.

Exactly. You can look at the two connectors to see which is better built (hollow vs. solid). Actually use them and you get confirmation that the Lightning connector is superior from a connection standpoint.

• Haha

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
You can also use it to see who has entrenched themselves in the lightning is better camp and can’t see out of aforementioned trench.

USB c is fine for structural strength. Unless you go out of your way or break it.

I’d advise everyone to embrace a cable that’s compatible with your MacBooks and iPads lol.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
You can also use it to see who has entrenched themselves in the lightning is better camp and can’t see out of aforementioned trench.

USB c is fine for structural strength. Unless you go out of your way or break it.

I’d advise everyone to embrace a cable that’s compatible with your MacBooks and iPads lol.
Lightning was a more solid connection for sure but USB-C is way more versatile. I love having USB-C on my iPhone 15 Pro. I can charge other devices, external DAC Amps work without any special OTG cables, and it’s way faster with USB 3 speeds.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
The debate is becoming rather silly here. "A tube is worse than a solid piece of metal"... talk about grasping at straws. Interestingly enough Lightning is not a solid piece of metal - its a metal interface that contains tracks to create the connections we see on the outside and that means its far from solid - is it more robust in that form than USB-C? Unless someone is willing to sacrifice a few ports and cables along with a measurable compression machine to see newton kgs applied, that's the only way we'll know. I'm assuming that the two are fairly well matched to the point that if there was weakness on side or the other, its so infinitesimally small that its not worth discussing in most everyday use. Ultimately if you do your best to treat your devices well, both port types will look after you well.

USB-C is an open standard, relatively affordable, non-licensed, highly compatible and a highly capable and robust port and cable type. Any of us who go out of our way to crush, lean on, put weight on EITHER of these types will suffer the consequences. USB-C has easily 4 to 5 major advantages over Lightning and that can't be discredited - these advantages leave Lightning for dust - EASILY, and that's equally why Apple adopt it in the majority of its products - and that's without EU intervention.

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Hard to believe this thread is still going. Nothing wrong with USB-C. I am enjoying not having to have multiple cables for charging.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
Hard to believe this thread is still going. Nothing wrong with USB-C. I am enjoying not having to have multiple cables for charging.
I'd be happy with that too... but my work phone is only a few months old and has lightning, so I'm a couple of years away from the dream 😅 I've had zero USB C problems.

Reactions: Jackbequickly

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
USB-C is far superior to lighting in my opinion in terms of functionality, but I just wish mine didn't rattle and wiggle around so much. That just makes it feel cheaper to me.

Lighting just snapped in and then DIDN'T MOVE. AT ALL. It was such a solid connection.

I will say though, I haven't had any audio or charging issues with these loose USB-C connectors, so in reality it's not the worst thing in the world. There are far more things in my life to worry about than a loose cable, but it is very slightly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.