Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
So its been 2 months since i got my 12 Pro Max. And there are a few things which really make me enjoy using the iPhone more than my Android phone(Note 20 Ultra)

1-Ability to see a file without downloading.(Attachments in mail,photos and videos in Whatsapp)
2-Signal seems better.
3-100% of battery seems to last me 1 and a half days and still have 30%-40% left(i had to charge my Android once a day or ill wake up with below 25% battery)
4-Standby uses very little battery. Like 1%-3% for 8 hours of standby.
5-Facetime... its way less speed demanding than whatsapp video call.
6-Camera... the camera is just wow.
7-Tonnes of accessories.
8-Speaker - its loud and clear.
9-User friendly.
10-Siri...useful when driving and emergencies where i need my flashlight.
11-Uses screws to hold the back part to the front part. Android uses glue...

However these are my PERSONAL preference/experience.

Last edited:

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Agree with a lot of this...... but

Signal I'd have to disagree with as a general statement. At least in my usage Android phones typically have better signal for me.

Battery on an iPhone is worlds away. Google play services is terrible.

Facetime is great, but Dou which would be its direct Google competitor isn't too bad

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
The prevailing issue that keeps me on iOS is privacy. Everything I’ve seen indicates that Apple takes this more seriously and does it better than the competition. Everything else is just icing.
I dont really bother about privacy but its good that Apple takes it seriously. And at first i was pissed at Apple for having only Face ID/Pin... Then i realised its better than what my Android has. For instance, close 1 eye and it wouldnt unlock. And thats just the beginning.

Reactions: Jimmy James

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Agree with a lot of this...... but

Signal I'd have to disagree with as a general statement. At least in my usage Android phones typically have better signal for me.

Battery on an iPhone is worlds away. Google play services is terrible.

Facetime is great, but Dou which would be its direct Google competitor isn't too bad
Its weird in Indonesia but Samsung devices i have used so far have crap for signal. Even cheaper Xiaomi phones have better signal AND battery life. I suspect Exynos is the culprit. Be it the Note 20 Ultra or S21 Ultra.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I dont really bother about privacy but its good that Apple takes it seriously. And at first i was pissed at Apple for having only Face ID/Pin... Then i realised its better than what my Android has. For instance, close 1 eye and it wouldnt unlock. And thats just the beginning.
Once you go Face ID you can’t go back. ?

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
I used Android from 2010 to January 2020 so I'm not going to say it's for dopes and I could certainly dispute most of the OP's ten points if they were generalisations, but he's comparing one specific phone with another so fair enough. Also he (or she) has made the discriminating gentleman's (I really think it's a he) choice and is toting the 12PM so can be considered a rather superior person. Especially if it's a graphite 12PM. Not that I look down on people with lesser phones, heaven forfend. If someone has a scullery maid's phone I think they should be treated kindly and encouraged to better themselves, to improve their station in life as the OP has done. We must none of us succumb to phone snobbery.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
I used Android from 2010 to January 2020 so I'm not going to say it's for dopes and I could certainly dispute most of the OP's ten points if they were generalisations, but he's comparing one specific phone with another so fair enough. Also he (or she) has made the discriminating gentleman's (I really think it's a he) choice and is toting the 12PM so can be considered a rather superior person. Especially if it's a graphite 12PM. Not that I look down on people with lesser phones, heaven forfend. If someone has a scullery maid's phone I think they should be treated kindly and encouraged to better themselves, to improve their station in life as the OP has done. We must none of us succumb to phone snobbery.
How did what i say made you think i feel superior against those with scullery maid’s phone? And its nothing to do with phone snobbery. Its a choice. There are die hard fans of each brand out there. Like debating about religion and race... thus i wrote “However these are my PERSONAL preference/experience.”

but then again idk if youre joking or not...

Reactions: LFC2020

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
How did what i say made you think i feel superior against those with scullery maid’s phone? And its nothing to do with phone snobbery. Its a choice. There are die hard fans of each brand out there. Like debating about religion and race... thus i wrote “However these are my PERSONAL preference/experience.”

but then again idk if youre joking or not...
;)

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Could see myself going for the s21 ultra honestly but I’m too ingrained in the eco system. Also interested in Google’s foldable plans.

Reactions: MisterMillz

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
So its been 2 months since i got my 12 Pro Max. And there are a few things which really make me enjoy using the iPhone more than my Android phone(Note 20 Ultra)

1-Ability to see a file without downloading.(Attachments in mail,photos and videos in Whatsapp)
2-Signal seems better.
3-100% of battery seems to last me 1 and a half days and still have 30%-40% left(i had to charge my Android once a day or ill wake up with below 25% battery)
4-Standby uses very little battery. Like 1%-3% for 8 hours of standby.
5-Facetime... its way less speed demanding than whatsapp video call.
6-Camera... the camera is just wow.
7-Tonnes of accessories.
8-Speaker - its loud and clear.
9-User friendly.
10-Siri...useful when driving and emergencies where i need my flashlight.

However these are my PERSONAL preference/experience.
It is an interesting comparison for sure. Not sure if it applies to All Android phones on all points as you know there is a lot of fragmentation there. Not that it matters to you as you would compare the devices you use, not what potentially can exist somewhere.

My experience is a bit different (comparing to Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact):

1. I don't tend to use my phone for files so I trust you on that one. It is something I have not tested. I do like to use files more on Android though. File management there is just better.
2. What I have noticed is that there is more dependency with the provider when it comes to iOS. iOS plays nice with some providers and not so nice with others. I did not have such issues with Android devices.
3. Cannot comment on this one as my Sony is like king of battery optimization. With the usage I have my Sony lasts 5 days, my iPhone and 2 days max.
4. Cannot comment on this as well as my phones are generally not connected to Mobile data constantly. As a result I rarely use battery on standby and basically both Android and iOS phones do well.
5. Do not use phones for video calls so I cannot comment on that one
6. Agree 100 % on the camera compared to my Sony as its camera sucks
7. Agree on the accessories selection
8. Speaker indeed is better
9. I find Sony's version of Android more user friendly in terms of Settings and notifications pane. However I find the iOS version of the apps better than the Android ones.
10. Siri is well Siri. I have issues with digital assistants. Google is better but I am not sure that I want to use it due to security concerns. Siri is more secure, but it's Siri - not that advanced and not always useful.

Spetsgruppa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
It is an interesting comparison for sure. Not sure if it applies to All Android phones on all points as you know there is a lot of fragmentation there. Not that it matters to you as you would compare the devices you use, not what potentially can exist somewhere.

My experience is a bit different (comparing to Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact):

1. I don't tend to use my phone for files so I trust you on that one. It is something I have not tested. I do like to use files more on Android though. File management there is just better.
2. What I have noticed is that there is more dependency with the provider when it comes to iOS. iOS plays nice with some providers and not so nice with others. I did not have such issues with Android devices.
3. Cannot comment on this one as my Sony is like king of battery optimization. With the usage I have my Sony lasts 5 days, my iPhone and 2 days max.
4. Cannot comment on this as well as my phones are generally not connected to Mobile data constantly. As a result I rarely use battery on standby and basically both Android and iOS phones do well.
5. Do not use phones for video calls so I cannot comment on that one
6. Agree 100 % on the camera compared to my Sony as its camera sucks
7. Agree on the accessories selection
8. Speaker indeed is better
9. I find Sony's version of Android more user friendly in terms of Settings and notifications pane. However I find the iOS version of the apps better than the Android ones.
10. Siri is well Siri. I have issues with digital assistants. Google is better but I am not sure that I want to use it due to security concerns. Siri is more secure, but it's Siri - not that advanced and not always useful.
Well youre comparing to the XZ1 Compact which isnt the latest Xperia. So im guessing the latest Xperia Pro would blow the iPhone away i guess. And yes i was an avid Sony user before but sadly Sony stopped selling phones in Indonesia. Only way to get Sony phones is through the blackmarket but the signal is blocked unless i do the paperwork and theres no warranty for it. But good comparison. Reminds me of my XZ Premium.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Well youre comparing to the XZ1 Compact which isnt the latest Xperia. So im guessing the latest Xperia Pro would blow the iPhone away i guess. And yes i was an avid Sony user before but sadly Sony stopped selling phones in Indonesia. Only way to get Sony phones is through the blackmarket but the signal is blocked unless i do the paperwork and theres no warranty for it. But good comparison. Reminds me of my XZ Premium.
Sony market when it comes to mobile phones kind of died. I think that they now focus only on home market - Japan. Here is the same - I cannot find a Sony phone so this was not an option for me. Problem is I do not enjoy other Android phones. I have not tried Pixels, but they are not sold here as well (similar to Sony). And I never liked Samsung.

I forgot to add few specific perks I love about my Sony:

1. NFC. Connecting it to my Sony NC headphones is so easy
2. Support LDAC codex. This phone is really great for listening to music. Sony suck at computational photography for phones, but man they are good when it comes to computational audio.
3. Due to the fact that Sony makes headphones, there is seamless integration with both wired and wireless headphones.
4. Love Sony diagnostic tools that allow me to test hardware without external assistance

Reactions: Spetsgruppa

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Sony market when it comes to mobile phones kind of died. I think that they now focus only on home market - Japan. Here is the same - I cannot find a Sony phone so this was not an option for me. Problem is I do not enjoy other Android phones. I have not tried Pixels, but they are not sold here as well (similar to Sony). And I never liked Samsung.

I forgot to add few specific perks I love about my Sony:

1. NFC. Connecting it to my Sony NC headphones is so easy
2. Support LDAC codex. This phone is really great for listening to music. Sony suck at computational photography for phones, but man they are good when it comes to computational audio.
3. Due to the fact that Sony makes headphones, there is seamless integration with both wired and wireless headphones.
4. Love Sony diagnostic tools that allow me to test hardware without external assistance
Sony is the next LG, they’ll be leaving the smartphone market soon I reckon, agree with you about Samsung phones ??

Give you a few more weeks and you’ll be a iPhone expert in no time ?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I recently purchased an older Samsung Galaxy phone and a LG Android table because I need to side load one Android app to program a motor controller - and - they sure are unpleasant to use.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
I recently purchased an older Samsung Galaxy phone and a LG Android table because I need to side load one Android app to program a motor controller - and - they sure are unpleasant to use.
Hope that garbage didn't cost you a lot. ?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.