Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Every OS has some kind of bugs my 12 pro max recently anytime I open the camera roll I get the spinning circle and takes a few secs and I have to reopen it again

This has happened more lately. So we need to stop acting like iPhones are flawless. Bugs do exists I don’t have many but this is something I have noticed lately
I agree with you. I disagree with the notion that iPhones are flawless and Android are ****. For me it is no longer like that. Both OS have their good and bad sides and it really is about what matters more to you as an end user. What I am saying is that there are certain issues that would not affect you that much so than you would be willing to go pass them.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I agree with you. I disagree with the notion that iPhones are flawless and Android are ****. For me it is no longer like that. Both OS have their good and bad sides and it really is about what matters more to you as an end user. What I am saying is that there are certain issues that would not affect you that much so than you would not be affected by them and would be willing to go pass them.

True when it comes to high end phones there’s basically no difference with bugs between iOS and android. Can’t comment on the low end devices though.

• Haha
Reactions: Barbareren

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
True when it comes to high end phones there’s basically no difference with bugs between iOS and android. Can’t comment on the low end devices though.
Yeah, that's one challenge when we try to compare Android vs iOS. With iOS for the most part you get the same experience on all devices. I would argue that some of the multitasking issues are affected by the RAM in the specific device but for the most part iOS 14 is the same on say iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone X and say iPhone 8.

It is not like that with Android. There are too many devices and brands and each of them tweaks in one way or another the Android OS. In the past I was against Samsung because TouchWiz would get laggy after 1 or 2 years of usage. I have not heard things like that about OneUI and I was left with the impression that they are better now. From what I have seen from video reviews, I feel like more and more brands try to not change too much the Android skin you know. Maybe in the past it was needed as Android itself was not mature enough, but nowadays it is. This of course helps also in another direction. We know that when it comes to Android updates, there is more wait. This is because brands need to wait for Google to release the Android OS, than they need to adapt and integrate it with their own version. This is another reason why I believe that brands should not make so much tweaks and changes when it comes to the Android skin.

Reactions: The Game 161

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
Yeah, that's one challenge when we try to compare Android vs iOS. With iOS for the most part you get the same experience on all devices. I would argue that some of the multitasking issues are affected by the RAM in the specific device but for the most part iOS 14 is the same on say iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone X and say iPhone 8.

It is not like that with Android. There are too many devices and brands and each of them tweaks in one way or another the Android OS. In the past I was against Samsung because TouchWiz would get laggy after 1 or 2 years of usage. I have not heard things like that about OneUI and I was left with the impression that they are better now. From what I have seen from video reviews, I feel like more and more brands try to not change too much the Android skin you know. Maybe in the past it was needed as Android itself was not mature enough, but nowadays it is. This of course helps also in another direction. We know that when it comes to Android updates, there is more wait. This is because brands need to wait for Google to release the Android OS, than they need to adapt and integrate it with their own version. This is another reason why I believe that brands should not make so much tweaks and changes when it comes to the Android skin.
Definitely agree with everything you said. I didn’t care to switch back to Android over a year ago, because I absolutely hated Touchwiz and didn’t care to go back to that laggy mess. But I’m glad that it’s been improved. The Apple ecosystem is great but I really didn’t want to let that stop me from trying new tech and see the newest features that are available on phones nowadays and it’s a nice glimpse to see what may possibly come to iPhones in a few years.

One thing I remember is that I’ve always find RAM management much better on my Android phone? I had a Galaxy S6 Edge (or 7?) and the majority of my apps were always open. When I switched over to an iPhone 8 Plus, the FIRST thing that I noticed was how my apps didn’t remain open long in the background. It was the one thing that I hated about my iPhone at the time but I dealt with it because I wanted to keep it for few years. I never really experienced that great RAM management that’s been talked about on iPhones before, even on the 12PM. The apps always closed in the background whereas on my S21U, I can pin apps to RAM and they never close.

Reactions: secretk

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Definitely agree with everything you said. I didn’t care to switch back to Android over a year ago, because I absolutely hated Touchwiz and didn’t care to go back to that laggy mess. But I’m glad that it’s been improved. The Apple ecosystem is great but I really didn’t want to let that stop me from trying new tech and see the newest features that are available on phones nowadays and it’s a nice glimpse to see what may possibly come to iPhones in a few years.
Definitely. I have used Samsung only once in my life and it was the lower range Samsung - with TouchWiz. It was around the time of Android 4 and man it got laggy after an year or something like that.
One thing I remember is that I’ve always find RAM management much better on my Android phone? I had a Galaxy S6 Edge (or 7?) and the majority of my apps were always open. When I switched over to an iPhone 8 Plus, the FIRST thing that I noticed was how my apps didn’t remain open long in the background. It was the one thing that I hated about my iPhone at the time but I dealt with it because I wanted to keep it for few years. I never really experienced that great RAM management that’s been talked about on iPhones before, even on the 12PM. The apps always closed in the background whereas on my S21U, I can pin apps to RAM and they never close.
I went through the same experience. Basically I had my Sony Xperia that had 4 GB RAM. So at that time I received iPhone 8 from my company as a work phone and I also bought regular iPad 2018 (6th gen). Both Apple devices had 2 GB RAM but I would hear all the time how Apple did not put that much RAM in their devices because iOS RAM management was superior. Um try another time. I have never experienced with my Sony so much apps and tabs reloads than with those two Apple devices. Not only I would get more reloads, but the the device would take more time to reload compared to my Sony phone.

I have a friend who is still rocking S6 edge btw and she does not even complain. I have to admit when she bought that phone back in the day (must have been 2015) I thought that she was crazy as the phone was rather expensive (at the standards at that point). I highly doubted that she would be able to use it for more than 2-3 years and yet here we are 6 years later and she still uses that phone and has no complaints.

Reactions: keti2377

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
He might stay if all your family are using android then it might be a better solution for him. My family is half and half. However I’ve managed to get my mum to switch back to using iMessages. My husband can only use SMS when he is driving in his car as it doesn’t support WhatsApp so now I only use WhatsApp for media for him. He’s also bought himself an iMac. He had a windows desktop which he bought last year. It’s now not working and was giving him a lot of problems during the year he owned it. So I told him to get a iMac which he did. He’s sent the window desktop to be repaired and said he’s going to give it to his brother when it’s working again. He might be more amenable to getting an iPhone when he finally upgrades his phone in September lol

I’ve also started doing competitions with my aunt and cousin with the Apple Watch.

My dad will never use an iPhone again so I’ll have to continue using WhatsApp with him.
Yeah, majority of my family uses an Android. I tried to get them to switch to iPhone but they just don’t care. I bought my mom an iPhone 7 Plus once but she was not having it lol. For now, I’ll probably stick to Android as my main device because of certain features that I’ve now become used to and can’t live without since switching, but I’ll always have an iPhone as my secondary device. Majority of my friends have an iPhone but they never really cared what phone others had and always have a third party messaging app, so iMessage and even Facetime isn’t a concern for me.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Is standby time battery drain still a thing on Android? Or is it just on Samsung?
I still notice this when having my sister’s S9+ for one night and notice severe battery drain in the morning compared to even my aging iPhone 6.
The non max iPhones may not have a large battery capacity, but it’s barely draining when not being used. So less screen on time but actually longer usage time in my experience.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is standby time battery drain still a thing on Android? Or is it just on Samsung?
I still notice this when having my sister’s S9+ for one night and notice severe battery drain in the morning compared to even my aging iPhone 6.
The non max iPhones may not have a large battery capacity, but it’s barely draining when not being used. So less screen on time but actually longer usage time in my experience.

Yeah it’s still an issue. Standby time is still the best on iPhones IMO. Not as bad as it used to be though but more apps run in the background on android in my experience

If pros add 120hz and always on display maybe it also an effect for iPhones but I still doubt that

Last edited:
Reactions: macdogpro

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
Good point indeed. In my case (but mine is rather weird) the Android phone hold better on standby. That's because I do not leave WIFI/mobile data on on standby. Basically for me standby means Bluetooth on (for smart band I use). My iPhone loses around 10-15 % overnight because of my smart band that I use for sleep tracking. My Sony phone was losing less, but Sony use machine learning for battery improvements so I can safely tell you that in terms of battery endurance and performance Sony does better. Basically the Sony was 108h endurance, the iPhone 8 is 66h, iPhone 12 Pro is around 81h. You can check the results here - https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8610&idPhone2=10508&idPhone3=8967.

keti2377

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2020
I lose around 2-3% overnight on my S21U and just 1% on my 12. When I first got the 12, I was losing about 5% every night but a recent update fixed this. Maybe try using Airplane mode for her S9+? I lose 1% overnight when I use it on my phone.

Reactions: macdogpro

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
So its been 2 months since i got my 12 Pro Max. And there are a few things which really make me enjoy using the iPhone more than my Android phone(Note 20 Ultra)
Does Android make a phone?

Samsung makes some great devices, unfortunately they use a free, stalker OS developed by the friends of everyone Google. The OS is the problem. If Samsung took the best from both Android and iOS and made SamsungOS we could be in a very happy place.

Reactions: secretk

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I recently purchased an older Samsung Galaxy phone and a LG Android table because I need to side load one Android app to program a motor controller - and - they sure are unpleasant to use.
I've been toying around with building a servo controller through a simple web interface. Should be able to install on any device ( being built as a PWA ).

naturalguy

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
The one feature I really miss from Samsung that Apple could easily add is Always On Display. It’s is super useful

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
The updates are slower and this is what I said even in my post.

Maybe we define inefficiency in different ways. How is Android inefficient? iOS is in terms of RAM management. My 4GB 3 years old Android phone reloads less tabs and apps than my iPP with 4 GB RAM. iOS and efficient RAM management is a contradiction. I have lost data due to "RAM management" in iOS. It's that bad. And Apple refusing to put more RAM in their devices make it worse.

And yet Android devices battery life is far better than iOS. I am sorry but my Sony phone with 2600 mAh offers me 5 days battery life. There is no iPhone that can offer me that. Yes, Android phones offer more RAM and have bigger batteries and this is why they are more efficient.

It is buggy. I wait 2-3 months to install a newly released major iOS version. I rely on my company iOS testing before installing new major iOS version. Apple has notorious talent to break basic things in iOS like messages, mail, RAM management, synching between devices with the same Apple ID, not saving files properly when downloading from browser. Currently I have issues with even the Camera app - cannot handle well taking photos around sunset time. It does not calculate exposure properly, I have to do it manually every time and even then I end up with streaks of colors in the sky instead of smooth color shading.

Last week I had to restart the phone because iOS does not kill apps properly and a certain app was rogue. So no biggie, I restarted the phone and then using it in landscape was broken as it would show me the today view. So I had to restart it again. So I lost 5 minutes to deal with it because iOS does not know how to kill rogue apps properly. Every major iOS version introduces worse RAM management and increased apps and tabs reloads. Then Apple takes 3-4 months to fix it with patches and with the new version is the same. It is like deja vu. Every version.

You are feeding a troll.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I left Android in 2012 for the iPhone 4 then 5. My last Android phone was the Samsung S3 but to be honest I don’t even look into Android now. I’m happy with iOS to the point it’s now the only option for me. Currently using an iPhone 12 which offers the best of everything for me .

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Does Android make a phone?

Samsung makes some great devices, unfortunately they use a free, stalker OS developed by the friends of everyone Google. The OS is the problem. If Samsung took the best from both Android and iOS and made SamsungOS we could be in a very happy place.

I wish Samsung had continued to develop Tizen OS for their Smartphones and Tablets.

I remember around 2013/2014 Samsung were in full steam to create and launch their own OS for smartphones, tablets and wearables and had a UI that was known as Magazine UI that they wanted to use in their Androids to transition to their OS.

The Samsung Magazine UI debuted on the high end Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 inch tablet and Galaxy Tab Pro 10inch tablet, you also see elements of this same UI on the Galaxy S4 as well, however around this time Google were allegedly absolutely livid with Samsung over this as Magazine UX was hiding more and more Google Android elements, Samsung was moving very far away from what Google envisioned and they were busy customizing and baking in and promoting their own in-house Samsung stuff like Multi-window, more customizable widgets, multi item clipboards, Samsung Galaxy Store, Milk Music app etc.... So around that time Google and Samsung had a meeting and Magazine UI was pretty much canned shortly afterwards, it was a pretty big story as Samsung was seen as pretty much the only Android phone worth getting with HTC, Sony and LG falling further and further behind and the Chinese OEMs back then were still not quite sure how to differentiate themselves, Samsung pretty much ran and dominated Android and influenced everyone’s perception of it globally.

From what I remember by late 2014 Samsung and Google signed an agreement for Samsung to stick to promoting more Google Ply stuff and even brought about the “Powered by Android” signature boot screen in some Androids we now see.

Samsung in 2014 nearly found themselves in the same spot as Huawei is now, though the Huawei thing has to do more with security and networking equipment, Google were not at all happy and I believe were prepared to kick Samsung out of Google Play Services if need be BUT they knew that what would ultimately benefit everyone was more of a partnership.

However my belief is that Samsung are still looking to break away from Google one day, have you noticed how much closer Samsung is playing with Microsoft lately?
We don’t hear much about Tizen anymore but I think somewhere deep in the buildings of Samsung’s labs there are smartphones and tablets running full fledged Tizen and having Microsoft integration in them. Just my thought though. After what happened with Huawei I think a few Android OEMs are now looking into being the masters of their own destiny like what Apple is.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
I lose around 2-3% overnight on my S21U and just 1% on my 12. When I first got the 12, I was losing about 5% every night but a recent update fixed this. Maybe try using Airplane mode for her S9+? I lose 1% overnight when I use it on my phone.
Yeah S21 series has many praise about the battery usage performance, makes me wondering about using one, not switching, but maybe for secondary phone just to feed the curiosity. I like the S21 series design language.

Well she doesn’t seems to be bothered by her S9+ battery performance, that thing is so huge compared to my 12 mini both in psychical and battery capacity. In the end we both seems to end the day without a problem on single charge.

I left Android in 2012 for the iPhone 4 then 5. My last Android phone was the Samsung S3 but to be honest I don’t even look into Android now. I’m happy with iOS to the point it’s now the only option for me. Currently using an iPhone 12 which offers the best of everything for me .
My last Android phone was Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which supposedly an S2.5. Also a happy iPhone user since iPhone 6, currently on 12 mini, but the iOS is boringly so good that I kinda curious about Android flagships nowadays.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
Good thread. I've been on Android since about 2012, but I'm considering replacing my Samsung Galaxy S8 with a Pro Max, probably the 11 because I don't need 5G and don't want to pay a premium for it.

I like Android, but I don't like having to wait for the vendor to push out its version of the new OS. (I buy my phones unlocked, so I don't have the additional delay of the carrier middleman.) The Pixel cuts out the vendor middleman, but the more I learn about Google, the more I'd rather roll the privacy dice with Apple. Plus the 11 and 12 have great battery life, which is another draw.

I got the first iPad when it came out. That's my only hands-on experience with iOS, and obviously it's come a long way since then. But I don't think the learning curve will be too steep.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Good thread. I've been on Android since about 2012, but I'm considering replacing my Samsung Galaxy S8 with a Pro Max, probably the 11 because I don't need 5G and don't want to pay a premium for it.

I like Android, but I don't like having to wait for the vendor to push out its version of the new OS. (I buy my phones unlocked, so I don't have the additional delay of the carrier middleman.) The Pixel cuts out the vendor middleman, but the more I learn about Google, the more I'd rather roll the privacy dice with Apple. Plus the 11 and 12 have great battery life, which is another draw.

I got the first iPad when it came out. That's my only hands-on experience with iOS, and obviously it's come a long way since then. But I don't think the learning curve will be too steep.
I’m actually paying less for my 12 pro max than I paid for my 11 pro max.

• Wow
Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It has always been a thing, it's never left, also lag is still a thing, picked up a s20u at a shop made sure 120hz was on, surprise surprise ran into lag straight away, people in Australia are already restoring their brand new s21u because of lag, heat, slowdowns and camera issues.

Sorry I'm not buying that android has improved, even samsung users admit that samsung phones lag after a few month if not straight away for some.

Reactions: Barbareren

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
It has always been a thing, it's never left, also lag is still a thing, picked up a s20u at a shop made sure 120hz was on, surprise surprise ran into lag straight away, people in Australia are already restoring their brand new s21u because of lag, heat, slowdowns and camera issues.

Sorry I'm not buying that android has improved, even samsung users admit that samsung phones lag after a few month if not straight away for some.

Glad never jump back to Android then. I don’t care about 120hz screen. Stability and consistency that sold me to iOS. Customization has always been a temporary novelty for me as well.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Glad never jump back to Android then. I don’t care about 120hz screen. Stability and consistency that sold me to iOS. Customization has always been a temporary novelty for me as well.
Smart man, don't listen to people that say otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.