Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Hey iPhone X owners, do any of you see anything like this banding on your displays when using it at night at minimum brightness?
WXHl2LF.jpg

I know previous generation OLEDs had variances that were obvious in the dark, but I expected that samsung would have had this fixed by now?

Anyways just want to see if this is something par for the course with iPhone X displays or even Galaxy S8 and Note 8s.

Here's a gallery of what I'm seeing: https://imgur.com/gallery/25AMU?s=fbm

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
Hey iPhone X owners, do any of you see anything like this banding on your displays when using it at night at minimum brightness?
WXHl2LF.jpg

I know previous generation OLEDs had variances that were obvious in the dark, but I expected that samsung would have had this fixed by now?

Anyways just want to see if this is something par for the course with iPhone X displays or even Galaxy S8 and Note 8s.

I'm very picky when comes about displays and gotta say that this really sucks on a >USD 1000 flagship device; I remember I had something similar on a Nokia 808 PureView device, but that was ~5 years ago.
Imho the IPS remains the best option for smartphones, but even there one got to search for the perfect one (I swapped five iP 7 Plus-es last year to find the current one that's perfect for me.
Good luck with your search for the perfect X, if the above bothers you!

Last edited:
Reactions: flowave

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Looks like mura effect to me. I’ve seen it on the HTC Vive VR headset which uses OLED.

BC-2

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2012
I just checked mine by looking at the apple watch app and it is not showing any banding like your images. I looked at my phone is a pitch black room. I'd take it to an Apple store and see if it can be swapped.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
No banding whatsoever on mine, you should exchange it. I previously tried an LG V30 that did this and returned it.

camhabib

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
I've seen this on a bunch if iPhone X's now. My guess is just how the screen is. People who say it doesn't happen to them are likely either just not looking closely enough or viewing under the limited circumstances which it shows up, which is why I'm not really worried about it.

GeorgeVes

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
WXHl2LF.jpg

Oh good. I see exactly the same on my X as your pictures. Meaning probably most phones have them and it might not be worth bothering with a replacement

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
WXHl2LF.jpg

Send us the grey pic so I can compare

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've seen this on a bunch if iPhone X's now. My guess is just how the screen is. People who say it doesn't happen to them are likely either just not looking closely enough or viewing under the limited circumstances which it shows up, which is why I'm not really worried about it.

Agreed. OLED just does that. Every single 2017 LG TV OLED does, too.

Reactions: bruinsrme

mynameisbogdan

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2017
" I expected that samsung would have had this fixed by now "
do you really expect them to sell their best panels? i don't experience it on my Note8. they just sell low quality leftovers (that are still much better than what other companies make, see: LG)

Reactions: Demo Kit

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm trying to remember, what again was the reason for going to OLED display technology? I have no doubt it has great features over LED displays, but the recent threads make me wonder if the advantages aren't outweighed by the problems. Since Apple has finally embraced it for their flagship phone, perhaps they made their own judgment in that regard.

Reactions: bevsb2 and willnpc

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I'm trying to remember, what again was the reason for going to OLED display technology? I have no doubt it has great features over LED displays, but the recent threads make me wonder if the advantages aren't outweighed by the problems. Since Apple has finally embraced it for their flagship phone, perhaps they made their own judgment in that regard.
I’m willing to believe these anomalies are due to manufacturing variances and not the disadvantage of the OLED tech itself. Same as with LCD and its brightness, black/white uniformity issues, yellowing issues, OLED is prone to new kinds of issues, unique to the technology, that affect a small number.

I like what OLED has to bring including real blacks and its low power requirements.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
It makes same for me with grey pics. My screen is yellowish to. It’s the same for everyone. Same problems for everyone. Who’s saying they don’t have this effect aren’t watching with the attention is required.
Sorry, but I'm very picky and patient in looking for LCD/OLED faults but I just don't have this problem on my X.

My screen is flawless with even less bluish off angle colour shift.

Please refer to this video especially in the beginning where she shows this exact same problem with another phone but not the iPhone X unit being looked at:

Last edited:

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Sorry, but I'm very picky and patient in looking for LCD/OLED faults but I just don't have this problem on my X.

My screen is flawless with even less bluish off angle colour shift.

Please refer to this video especially in the beginning where she shows this exact same problem with another phone but not the iPhone X unit being looked at:

She’s using 20% grey in that image. It’s not visible at that level. 1-5% grey might show it however.

GaryLiao

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2013
Ahh...ok.

I’ve tried 1-5% grey on mine as you stated and even my Apple Watch app and mine does not exhibit it at all.
It’s good to hear that there’s some perfect displays out there. I guess I just want to know if my display is “normal.” we’re still pretty early on in mass production of these devices if we go exchange now there’s a high likelihood that we might just end up with a device that’s even worse.

janeR

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
Hi, Not sure if this is related, but I've observed some "banding" with my iPhone X in a very specific scenario

Steps to replicate.

1. Use the "magenta and blue" live wallpaper supplied by Apple
2. Activate Siri on the lock screen
3. Observe some banding in the top left corner of the screen.

I've attached a photo of the screen demonstrating the dark banding, and also a screen grab of the display showing smooth gradients.

I don't see the banding with other wallpapers.

Is this a defect on my screen, or is this a limitation of the OLED display?

Can anyone else replicate on their device?
IMG_0029.png Unknown.jpeg IMG_0048.png

Thanks!

Reactions: 5pctoff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.