Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Hi, Not sure if this is related, but I've observed some "banding" with my iPhone X in a very specific scenario

Steps to replicate.

1. Use the "magenta and blue" live wallpaper supplied by Apple
2. Activate Siri on the lock screen
3. Observe some banding in the top left corner of the screen.

I've attached a photo of the screen demonstrating the dark banding, and also a screen grab of the display showing smooth gradients.

I don't see the banding with other wallpapers.

Is this a defect on my screen, or is this a limitation of the OLED display?

Can anyone else replicate on their device?
View attachment 734592 View attachment 734593 View attachment 734594

Thanks!

I get the same kind of banding in the Clock app and other similar backgrounds, in a dark room at higher brightnesses. My phone also shifts pink then blue when tilted, rather than just blue, and I think it’s related to that.

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Hi, Not sure if this is related, but I've observed some "banding" with my iPhone X in a very specific scenario

Steps to replicate.

I've attached a photo of the screen demonstrating the dark banding, and also a screen grab of the display showing smooth gradients.

Thanks!

I’m pretty sure it’s just an iOS transparency effect. It just shows up more on that particular wallpaper. Nothing to worry about :)

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, I agree, it doesn't show up in device screen grabs.
[doublepost=1510402179][/doublepost]Faelan, does your device do the same?

IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

Faelan

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, I agree, it doesn't show up in device screen grabs.
[doublepost=1510402179][/doublepost]Faelan, does your device do the same?

I’m an 8+ "pleb" and I don’t even think that wallpaper is available to me, but I see a similar effect on my 8+ with a wallpaper that has much less contrast than the one you’re using. Both in Siri and the unlock via pin screen. That’s why I’m pretty sure it’s an iOS thing you’re seeing. Same thing if I pull up a photo in the photos app, then activate Siri. Try pulling up a photo in the photos app, then activate Siri. You should be able to see a faint blurry version of the photo, like you’re looking through darkened frosted glass, in the background.
[doublepost=1510403559][/doublepost]Okay, I just tried with a screen cap of that particular live wallpaper on my 8+ and what I’m seeing is about the same as on the photos posted. So my LCD is giving me similar results to your OLED.

janeR

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
not sure what to think, is this a defect, or a limitation in the OLED screen.

janeR

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
yeah you are probably correct, just want to be sure it's not a defect specific to my iPhone.

luca.spiga1992

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
yeah you are probably correct, just want to be sure it's not a defect specific to my iPhone.

I’ve reported today the smudges problem in Apple Store and said it is most like software. They will let me know . Anyway everyone has that problem.

willnpc

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Panama City
When will people learn not to buy first generation device , sounds like a lot of people have the same defect, I would return mine ASAP but then again I'm just very picky on really expensive devices

janeR

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2009
I'm not sure I want to take the chance of a replacement, it only occurs in a very specific scenario for me, watching movies etc with dark areas look fine.

gattopollo

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017

Steps to replicate.

Thanks!
I have the same problem

Attachments

• 21FB2271-4BFF-4E9B-B774-BA7ECEA46F0C.png
    21FB2271-4BFF-4E9B-B774-BA7ECEA46F0C.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 320

SBruv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
When will people learn not to buy first generation device , sounds like a lot of people have the same defect, I would return mine ASAP but then again I'm just very picky on really expensive devices

And why do people always bang on about not buying first gen devices when hardly any ‘first gen’ issues actually ever get fixed in later iterations?

Reactions: bevsb2

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
And why do people always bang on about not buying first gen devices when hardly any ‘first gen’ issues actually ever get fixed in later iterations?
What? 6 bent, 6s got a better quality aluminum. TSMC VS Samsung on battery in the 6s, all iterations since then have had TSMC only. 5 had trouble with a certain color and its anondization, 5s removed this color.

I'm sure there are older examples but those come to mind.

gattopollo

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2017
Hi I’m Italian too, last night I notice the same problem, I thought it was a display issue ...so it’s a common problem ? Tomorrow I have an appointment to an Apple Store
Ho, i’m wondering what they told you at the Apple store about that problem

Last edited:

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bumping an old thread - I created a new one but might have better luck bringing all of this info together.

I have a similar issue with my new iPhone 11 Pro and am currently debating if I should return the phone or what my options are. Pictures posted below at 15% brightness, lowest brightness, and again at low brightness on the Settings screen where you can see the more "grey" areas on the right side are darker than the left.
iPhone 1.jpg
iPhone 2.jpg
iPhone 3.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.