Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I'm currently setting up iPhone X setup as new phone - want to keep things fresh for X. Previous 6+ show the clock 12-hours format like "8:53 pm" and X only show as "8:53" without am/pm

I've check the following setting from X and 6+

settings > general > date & time > turn off 24-hour time

settings > general > Language & Region > checked region format example "12:32 am"

I don't know what to do - I know it's not big deal for you guys but I love to see it daily - habit I guess.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
You probably have to swipe down Notification Center to see AM and PM. There might be no other way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It seems like that might not be available on the X (unless some regional/language settings might allow for something like that in the notification or control center).

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
is there any chance if you can upload pic - where you can see AM/PM?

mine still not showing up could be another bug?....

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Don't think a bug, as every stock photo of X does not show am/pm. Responder maybe meant Control Center, since that is where all the status icons go when cannot fit on the display "wings" ("horns" if not happy with iOS 11)?

Don't think Language & Region setting implies that ALL time formats will have am/pm (see: lock screen/Notification Center).

ADD: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html to report/request.

Last edited:

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Don't think a bug, as every stock photo of X does not show am/pm. Responder maybe meant Control Center, since that is where all the status icons go when cannot fit on the display "wings" ("horns" if not happy with iOS 11)?

Don't think Language & Region setting implies that ALL time formats will have am/pm (see: lock screen/Notification Center).

ADD: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html to report/request.

if I report/request - do they really read my email & reply back?

I'm sure they can make the clock slightly smaller font and smaller AM/PM :rolleyes:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I don't see AM or PM on the lock screen or notification centre. But I do see it at the top when I'm on the home screen. But maybe it's a new thing for iOS11. I'm still on iOS10.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I don't see AM or PM on the lock screen or notification centre. But I do see it at the top when I'm on the home screen. But maybe it's a new thing for iOS11. I'm still on iOS10.
He’s talking about the iPhone X which only uses iOS 11. To OP, this seems to be a space issue.. I guess using the 24 hour clock would be your only option for now.

Reactions: MacWorld78

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Re: feedback: I have never heard back.

You can submit a bug via the developer website, but be prepared to justify why a bug and provide suppting details (don't have the developer site link handy). And then still might only hear back "working as designed".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's still the same for iOS 11. It's just different for iPhone X.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

I'm sure they can make the clock slightly smaller font and smaller AM/PM :rolleyes:
They might never read your email and they may never reply back - my guess.

Because of this awkward notch design, X users are stuck, unless iOS 12 has some changes to compensate. One biggest design failure in my opinion.

Speedman100

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2013
is there any chance if you can upload pic - where you can see AM/PM?

mine still not showing up could be another bug?....
Oh sorry, you are totally right. Notification Center does not show AM or PM. I’m not sure what I was looking at lol. In that case, I don’t know of any way to see AM or PM on iPhone X besides looking at the world clock in the Clock app.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Re: feedback: I have never heard back.

You can submit a bug via the developer website, but be prepared to justify why a bug and provide suppting details (don't have the developer site link handy). And then still might only hear back "working as designed".

Ive sent bug detail to developer link mention above. I'm waiting to hear from them but I'm sure they have so many emails. I will let you know as soon as if I hear from apple teams. I suggest you should do the same things as well - the more we send - they will flag up as important lol
[doublepost=1510439836][/doublepost]
It’s not possible I even miss my battery percentage have to keep swiping to control Center to see it

Same here I missed the battery showing as percentage but there is neat trick you can do:

make sure you phone is locked - don't try to unlock it, simply swipe from left to right (this will take you widget area - make sure you go at the Botton of the page - click "edit".

Select "Batteries" and move to the top of the page.

Now you can see iPhone/Apple Watch - battery (%)
[doublepost=1510440056][/doublepost]
They might never read your email and they may never reply back - my guess.

Because of this awkward notch design, X users are stuck, unless iOS 12 has some changes to compensate. One biggest design failure in my opinion.

Thanks - I don't think it is because of notch design - I'm sure developer can tweak the font size for both side (left and right). Lets hope iOS 12 will bring lots of improvement.

Reactions: Shirasaki

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It's one of those Apple marketing decisions that override usability considerations.

• "Users don't need to know the battery % without swiping. Yes, the battery icon could be replaced with numbers, but it doesn't look good."
  • "Users don't need to know AM/PM at a glance, even though there's space for it."

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Oh sorry, you are totally right. Notification Center does not show AM or PM. I’m not sure what I was looking at lol. In that case, I don’t know of any way to see AM or PM on iPhone X besides looking at the world clock in the Clock app.

It's no problems speedman100. yep you are right I could see (am/pm) at "World Clock" app but I don't do that often lol.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
It's one of those Apple marketing decisions that override usability considerations.

• "Users don't need to know the battery % without swiping. Yes, the battery icon could be replaced with numbers, but it doesn't look good."
  • "Users don't need to know AM/PM at a glance, even though there's space for it."

I'm not sure what apple is thinking at this stage, but it's strange enough not to include few goodies AM/PM and VPN as well lol.
[doublepost=1510440943][/doublepost]
Guess this is the main reason why that widget can be used regardless whether you have any Bluetooth device around.

Could be but this is slow process especially if you have loads apps pages....

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Could be but this is slow process especially if you have loads apps pages....
I don’t like more than 5 widgets in that page cause it will take me too long to scroll through and read info from all of them. Plus, my most used one is always at the top.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t like more than 5 widgets in that page cause it will take me too long to scroll through and read info from all of them. Plus, my most used one is always at the top.

Same here as well 5 is more then enough for my need as well.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.