Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
:mad: UPS will make it right but it’s too bad nonetheless.
Nah. When these things happened to me in the past, all that happened were them sending (presumably) the driver to argue with me that they had the packaged signed and thus "received." Besides, it could be anyone that has touched the package between pickup and delivery. Usually these are done by groups in the sorting centers. These companies won't care since UPS and Fedex have become the de-facto shipping contracts with many companies, and thus one or two missing items are not significant enough to dissolve their contracts.

I usually get better results just by contacting the seller (be it Apple, Amazon, etc), and they are actually the ones who have interest in taking care of me.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Who do you think did it?

Just anywhere. I just think UPS is the most unlikely though. Too tightly controlled; cameras, accountability, etc. UPS used to have problems, but they tightened things way up. Other places, not so much. We assume it's a guy or two. It could be organized.

Last edited:

bassett700

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2009
Dingus, VA
I recently had packages opened with a razor blade while sitting on my front porch. Thief found nothing interesting and left the boxes and contents behind. Too bad he didn't hang around long enough to open the third box, which contained a smart watch.

Reactions: bopajuice

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
When you see phones on Craigslist with price too good to be true I’m sure they come from unfortunate situations like this. I just saw an iPhone X for sale on there the other day that was supposedly new never opened for $500. Sorry to hear of your loss, I’m sure you’ll get taken care of by Apple

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It could be sold back to China where they use them for parts..

Maybe, But whoever intercepted this iPhone X, is going to sell it brand new in the box sealed to an unsuspecting customer that has no idea that this phone will be blacklisted, rendering it useless. That's likely what will happen to this iPhone X in my opinion.

That said, it still baffles me that UPS will deliver a package knowingly that it does not meet the sufficient weight it should be registered on the packing slip. None of this makes sense.

Last edited:

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
So, our phone was just delivered and the box had brown paper in it.

Someone at USP it sounds, stole the phone :(.

I’m on the phone now, I can’t believe this.

UPS sucks. I avoid using them at all cost. They have lost plenty of packages of mine. UPS IS TRASH

Rajincajuns

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2012
Nah. When these things happened to me in the past, all that happened were them sending (presumably) the driver to argue with me that they had the packaged signed and thus "received." Besides, it could be anyone that has touched the package between pickup and delivery. Usually these are done by groups in the sorting centers. These companies won't care since UPS and Fedex have become the de-facto shipping contracts with many companies, and thus one or two missing items are not significant enough to dissolve their contracts.

I usually get better results just by contacting the seller (be it Apple, Amazon, etc), and they are actually the ones who have interest in taking care of me.

UPS SUCKS

LarrySmith

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2017
It's likely that the phone is already sold to an unknowing person as a "sealed brand new iPhone."
Criminals are not likely to keep inventories for long.
Good point. I guess I'd be a bad criminal if I ever was one since I didn't think of that.
[doublepost=1510749459][/doublepost]
That’s an empty box where you put your old phone in for a trade in to send back.
That IS what that looks like.

Tommy c

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Pocono PA
To update,

Verizon credited me my account the 100.80. Redid the upgrade and out me on list to get the phone first. The new ship date is the end of December lolol. By the time I get it, the IPhone X2 will be out.

What do I do if this happens again??
[doublepost=1510794450][/doublepost]
Maybe, But whoever intercepted this iPhone X, is going to sell it brand new in the box sealed to an unsuspecting customer that has no idea that this phone will be blacklisted, rendering it useless. That's likely what will happen to this iPhone X in my opinion.

That said, it still baffles me that UPS will deliver a package knowingly that it does not meet the sufficient weight it should be registered on the packing slip. None of this makes sense.
Thats a good point.
[doublepost=1510794503][/doublepost]
That’s an empty box where you put your old phone in for a trade in to send back.
It has our information on it? Your saying they took the shipping label and stuck it on the new box? I have too look at it again.

BigRed39

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Isn't there a record of the phone's s/n somewhere when it was scanned? If so they could track it down and/or shut it down.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
UPS SUCKS

UPS

Dust_and_Grooves_1506.jpg
Pilots-Drinking.jpg

Lemon13

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2017
San Diego, CA
So, our phone was just delivered and the box had brown paper in it.

Someone at USP it sounds, stole the phone :(.

I’m on the phone now, I can’t believe this.

Same thing happed to me, twice. After forst time I received a empty box without iphone inside which had been stolen, and I contact Apple and filed a claim, they send me another one after 4 days invesgation, then I received a empty box again, such a nightmare.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
Nope. Couldn’t prove it was stolen by the driver. It seems to me that the delivery service was covering its ass. I contacted Apple (purchased directly) and they issued me a new one within a couple of days.

I worked for a courier while at uni, they really couldn’t care less about their customers.

But for big customers like Amazon or Apple they would take this stuff extremely seriously. I garauntee you they will have people internally investigating this stuff. The thing about a thief, especially in a large corporate setting like UPS (or even possibly Apple) is that once they’ve done it once and gotten away with it, it’s only a matter of time before they do it again. They always get caught. We had guys stealing phones, was pretty clever how they did it but even still, eventually they will trace it back and find out.

Hope everything gets sorted. $1000 vs a prison cell and a criminal record, pretty stupid if you ask me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.