Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zaccor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I love the size of my iPhone X, not sure I want to go much bigger than that.

iPhone X: 5.65"H, 2.79"W, .30"D, 6.14 ounces

iPhone 12 Pro: 5.78" H, 2.82"W, .29"D, 6.66 ounces

iPhone 12 Mini: 5.18"H, 2.53"W, .29"D, 4.76 ounces

The 12 Pro is a lot taller, and heavier. Not much wider, though.

What are we thinking?

Reactions: ScholarsInk

sk8mash

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
England

What are we thinking?
I’m in the same position and really can’t decide. Sorry, not particularly helpful!

slimejester

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
I was planning on getting the mini, but I don’t really think I’ll upgrade this year. If I did, I’d probably get the mini or the standard iPhone 12.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
why are you leaving out the regular 12? it looks to be just a smidge taller and wider than the X/XS variant.

i was sure i would go from XS to the 12 mini but now seeing the specs, the regular 12 should be fine.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
I want to go for the 12 Pro, but again this year I’m just not seeing a real pull to change from the X. I used to change my phone annually but alas, making it 1k was a major influence.

To clearly answer, if i were to pick a screen size it would be that of the 12/12 Pro as I would not want any less than the 5.8. Pro Max too large for my user needs and preference.

Reactions: slimejester

zaccor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
why are you leaving out the regular 12? it looks to be just a smidge taller and wider than the X/XS variant.

i was sure i would go from XS to the 12 mini but now seeing the specs, the regular 12 should be fine.

Price isn't really a factor for me.

I think if I have to get any iPhone that's bigger than what I currently have (X), then I'd get the Pro. Camera upgrade specifically.

If I'm going to do something totally different, then I'll go with the Mini. Yes, screen will be slightly smaller. But the ease of use for one hand and easily slipping into pockets and being lighter would be great.

Bumbler

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
As a XS user, I've been waiting for a small phone since 2014.

The 5 was perfect. Going to the 6 was too big, and the XS is even bigger. Having colors on the 12 mini is awesome! Getting a green 12 Mini, 256GB. Honestly, if they put new guts into an iPhone 5 shell, I'd buy it. But I'm sure not many people feel this way.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I am going to go with the 12 pro. 5G, larger screen, way better camera, way better battery life, faster, hopefully stronger wifi. To me it seems like a colossal upgrade from the X to the 12Pro.

zaccor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
I am going to go with the 12 pro. 5G, larger screen, way better camera, way better battery life, faster, hopefully stronger wifi. To me it seems like a colossal upgrade from the X to the 12Pro.

I get that, but the mini also has 5G, the camera on the mini is an upgrade from the X (night mode, deep fusion, smart hdr), front camera is better, the battery life is better on video playback than the X (worse for audio playback, though), mini has WIFI6.

Screen is the biggest difference going from the X to the mini.

slimejester

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2020
I get that, but the mini also has 5G, the camera on the mini is an upgrade from the X (night mode, deep fusion, smart hdr), front camera is better, the battery life is better on video playback than the X (worse for audio playback, though), mini has WIFI6.

I want to like a smaller more compact iPhone, but i really feel like I’d miss that extra screen real estate.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Going with the 12 Pro also. I was leaning towards 12, but with only a US$150 difference between 12/12 Pro, the added camera features (and telephoto lens / LIDAR) + potentially more ram is worth it.

In terms of size, I'm ok with the 12/12 Pro being just a bit bigger than my X. Going up to the 12 Pro Max would be too much for me, but I don't mind the incremental size increase.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010

I really want the larger screen than the mini. I was actually contemplating the MAX but in the end I think it is just too big for everyday use?

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014

Why does the mini have better video playback, but worse audio playback than the X? That doesn’t make sense to me.

bydandie

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2009
I had the Xs, and was worried about the size of the 12 Pro. TBH with the Apple case I don’t notice the increase that much and I always found the X-ray too big.

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Why does the mini have better video playback, but worse audio playback than the X? That doesn’t make sense to me.

I’m speculating here, but I would guess that speaks to the new chipset being more efficient at driving on-screen activity. They have likely optimized power usage for their screens since the X, plus driving a slightly smaller screen overall would help things. But, there were probably less gains to be had in audio playback, so the smaller battery of the 12 Mini would mean less hours there if efficiency didn’t improve much.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX

What are we thinking?

I’m going for the mini. I’m going to miss the hell out of the telephoto lens, but I have to take my own personal stand against phones getting bigger every year — I’m voting with my wallet (which also needs replaced).

I was at Best Buy yesterday, and I picked up the regular 6.1 inch iPhone 11 to see how it felt in the hand. I didn’t like it. I know it’ll feel different in the hand because they redesigned it, but the screens just a bit too big.

It’s gonna feel great to have a small, lightweight phone again. And no case this year — apple care will be my case. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll put a skin on the back if it’s too slippery in the hand.

Side note: you know what’s a great little phone, too? The Pixel 4a. That phone fits in my hand perfectly, and the back material makes it feel grippy and secure. It’s the kind of phone I wouldn’t need a case for.

Reactions: kory108

alexhardaker

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I’m speculating here, but I would guess that speaks to the new chipset being more efficient at driving on-screen activity. They have likely optimized power usage for their screens since the X, plus driving a slightly smaller screen overall would help things. But, there were probably less gains to be had in audio playback, so the smaller battery of the 12 Mini would mean less hours there if efficiency didn’t improve much.
Thank you. I’m nervous about the battery life with the mini. I’m coming from an iPhone X & that has 89% battery health after 12 months with a new battery. I did get a 12 on Monday, but I didn’t like it being bigger and wider than my X.

Reactions: riteshritesh

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
Similar situation! Was all set to change from the X to a Mini, but now in two minds if the mini will be sufficient. I am getting to like the size and bulk of the X in a Spigen case ( which earlier for 2 years, I would hate). So I have decided to wait for the display sets to arrive, get a feel of the Mini in a physical store and then take a decision. Another possibility is that a mini in a sturdy case could solve my issues of insufficient size and bulk.

P.S.: And yes, a weaker battery is another deterrent.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Was in the same position, but gave the Pro a try anyway.
Returned the Pro, because it was uncomfortable. Trying the Mini next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.