Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
As a XS user, I've been waiting for a small phone since 2014.

The 5 was perfect. Going to the 6 was too big, and the XS is even bigger. Having colors on the 12 mini is awesome! Getting a green 12 Mini, 256GB. Honestly, if they put new guts into an iPhone 5 shell, I'd buy it. But I'm sure not many people feel this way.

Yeah, you and I are in the same boat. The 6/6s had no appeal to me whatsoever due to the size and shape. (Felt to me like Apple chasing Android.) The surprise announcement of the OG SE with 6s guts in a 5's body was an instant order.

The first iPhones since that interested me since were the X and Xs (still the best iterations of the 6 design), but in hand I just couldn't bite the bullet.

I think the Mini is the closest thing to the much wished-for "SE-X", combining the X's innovations with the classic Jobs/Jony design for the iPhone. I think what's telling is that my SE and 5s design wise seem to look better (just as objects) and more up-to-date than the 6-8s I see around.

In a way it's like how the last two 'boxy' generations (~1979-1999) of Mercedes cars (the pioneering design work of Bruno Sacco) still look like striking classic cars, whereas the overly curvy [and poorly engineered but that's a different story] 2000s models that followed look very dated.

MZBS

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2020
Madrid, Spain
Pro, I change it because of the camera. Is not a problem for me if its a bit bigger. Also thinking if the Max would be worth it. Waiting for the reviews.

zaccor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Why does the mini have better video playback, but worse audio playback than the X? That doesn’t make sense to me.
Not sure why really. This is according to the iPhone comparison thing on Apple's website.

iPhone X: 13 hours video playback; Audio 60 hours of playback

iPhone 12 Mini: 15 hours video playback; Audio 50 hours of playback

As someone who listens to music a lot, that's a deterrent.

Reactions: Fozamo

zaccor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Was in the same position, but gave the Pro a try anyway.
Returned the Pro, because it was uncomfortable. Trying the Mini next.
Got the pro on release day. Definitely feels uncomfortable with one hand use.

Ordered the regular 12, should have it in a few days and will report back. I'm thinking the lighter weight will help (it's lighter than the X, too) and balance out the tallness.

I'm also going to pre-order the mini on the 6th. With a 14 day return policy, why not?

Gator5000e

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2018
I got the Pro. Doesn’t feel much different to me size wise than my X. I use the assistive touch to shortcut reachability and app switcher and I really can’t tell the difference between the two.

Reactions: bydandie

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Having used my 12 Pro for about a week now, I love the size. It's just a tiny bit bigger than the X (holding them one on top of another, it seems a tiny bit taller), so really not much of an adjustment after 3 years with the X. In terms of weight, I put a thin clear case and a screen protector on it - I did notice a slight increase in weight the first day, but I quickly got used to it.

I can still type one-handed if needed (ie. a quick text when on the go), and still comfortable in the pocket.

Reactions: bydandie
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.