Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvertech

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
3xLuCXm.jpg

Some fellow redditors and I have discovered this, this has been talked about on other threads there as well. The iPhone XS and Max front facing camera applies some sort of beauty mode / skin smoothing to pictures. Turning off HDR does NOT fix this

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Is it beauty mode or simply more aggressive noise reduction? I mean I can employ noise reduction in Lightroom on any photos and it produces those kind of effects.

Real beauty mode will not only “smoothen” skin, but also slim out your cheeks and enlarge your eyes.

Reactions: FFR

silvertech

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Is it beauty mode or simply more aggressive noise reduction? I mean I can employ noise reduction in Lightroom on any photos and it produces those kind of effects.

Real beauty mode will not only “smoothen” skin, but also slim out your cheeks and enlarge your eyes.
Like many skin smoothing beauty modes, it seems very similar to Samsung’s old modes which were meant for Korean markets. This is definitely much more than just noise reduction

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Like many skin smoothing beauty modes, it seems very similar to Samsung’s old modes which were meant for Korean markets. This is definitely much more than just noise reduction
Does it whiten your face? If it does not, imo it’s not “beauty” mode, but simply more aggressive tuning of the noise reduction.

Try turning on the flash to see if it produces the same result.

silvertech

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2016
Does it whiten your face? If it does not, imo it’s not “beauty” mode, but simply more aggressive tuning of the noise reduction.

Try turning on the flash to see if it produces the same result.
Something is definitely not right about this whatever it is. Flash has no effect on it. All pictures loo extremely soft; almost like an oil painting filter is over them.

Reactions: Mactendo

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
Really, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but how is the ‘Xs’ picture any more beautiful-er than the ‘X’ picture? Still has scraggly facial hair and spots/freckles in same place. Ok skin tone is lighter, but how is whiter skin making somebody more beautiful?

Last edited by a moderator:

megy89

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Really, I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but how is the ‘Xs’ picture any more beautiful-er than the ‘X’ picture? Still has scraggly facial hair and spots/freckles in same place. Ok skin tone is lighter, but how is whiter skin making somebody more beautiful?

A lot of Asian countries deem whiter skin to be more "Beautiful"

But that aside- I also dislike the smoothing effect. I much preferred pics on my iPhone 7 front camera as they are much more natural.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Go to the Apple Store and compare their iPhones' cameras to yours or use your rear camera for selfies.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
That shot looks terrible and also filtered by "beauty mode."
Yes.
[doublepost=1537891796][/doublepost]Removing 7+ comment as it was with rear-camera.
[doublepost=1537891922][/doublepost]Took selfie with 8+ and it doesn’t look much better. Then again, I’m thd subject.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
../
That shot looks terrible and also filtered by "beauty mode."
you guys really can’t see well. It’s a cropped as hell picture and still is significantly more detailed than the first two sample pics. I don’t expect a front camera to be anywhere near the quality of the rear camera, but there are definitely some overblown descriptions of how “terrible” the pics are from the front.

Reactions: Supermallet

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Several reviews suggest the XS camera is optimized to produce warmer, softer, and flatter images. This is a shift from the X and the Pixel.

Given the target market of the iPhones this year, I'm not surprised Apple made this choice.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
you guys really can’t see well. It’s a cropped as hell picture and still is significantly more detailed than the first two sample pics. I don’t expect a front camera to be anywhere near the quality of the rear camera, but there are definitely some overblown descriptions of how “terrible” the pics are from the front
Probably partially related to lighting.

Anyhow, there are lots of reports of the smoothing, including examples.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
This can be called "Poor man's plastic surgery". Just pay 1000€ and you'll be beautiful on every picture!

Tom-H

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Apparently this is a problem with both the rear and the front camera, the colors and smoothing just looks wrong. Check this video and see the difference for yourselfs:

Jonathantuba

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2017
UK
My first reaction was this is rubbish - but I have just tried taking some selfies with my new Xs and iPad Pro to compare - and I think this is correct. If this is good or bad, depends on what you want.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
Yeah, you know, I dismissed this as well, as just more anti Apple propaganda, but I did test shots with my X and my XS Max and I get the exact same thing. Apple NEEDS to fix this with a toggle.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I shared the same sentiments as the above posters and doubted this was happening on a systematic level, but after taking a few pictures with the Max and my iPad it definitely seems like there’s some sort of smoothing going on. On some of the pictures, it looked like it smoothed part of it and not the entire thing, so there’s a definite line of smoothing and not smoothing. Although it looks similar to a shadow, no such shadowing occurred when taking pictures with my iPad

Attachments

• 777B7085-28A0-4D69-98E2-EC7227C8FB23.jpeg
    777B7085-28A0-4D69-98E2-EC7227C8FB23.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 663

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Yeah, you know, I dismissed this as well, as just more anti Apple propaganda, but I did test shots with my X and my XS Max and I get the exact same thing. Apple NEEDS to fix this with a toggle.
Anything for the Asian market lol
If the new iPhone is successful there, Apple will implement some even crazier features haha
They’re all about numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.