Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neverloyal

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
I liked the ultra sharp pixel/x selfie images. A toggle would be nice, but my wife is kind of a fan of the less harsh image.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
It’s weird. I’ve taken a few selfies after watching the Unbox Therapy video. It only seems to do it occasionally for me. Maybe it has to do with different ambient lighting conditions?

It doesn’t bother me but it’s definitly interesting. I can’t imagine Apple is nefariously trying to doll everyone up, otherwise it would do it all the time I would think.

Reactions: 5105973

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
It’s weird. I’ve taken a few selfies after watching the Unbox Therapy video. It only seems to do it occasionally for me. Maybe it has to do with different ambient lighting conditions?

It doesn’t bother me but it’s definitly interesting. I can’t imagine Apple is nefariously trying to doll everyone up, otherwise it would do it all the time I would think.
Honestly the answer to this is incredibly simple. Take a look around at how phones are sold...social media selfie pictures are a standard practice for early everyone (sadly). Understanding that the vast majority of users never do any “real” picture editing (photoshop) and just use filters, the algorithms for Apples cameras are geared towards giving you a better (than untreated) selfies out of box.

Apple isn’t the only company to do this, and as someone whom has a disdain for the narcissistic tendencies built into social media...even I don’t actually care enough to be troubled by this.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I liked the ultra sharp pixel/x selfie images. A toggle would be nice, but my wife is kind of a fan of the less harsh image.
It seems most people who are concerned to the point of indignation with this are men...who seem to not take selfies anyway and know about this new “beautygate” by word of mouth.

So Apple is targeting the people who actually do take selfies. And from what I’ve seen most of these people use some crazy filters that don’t even leave them looking fully human. :eek: What Apple’s software is doing must seem pretty conservative to them.

I take selfies in the sense that when I’m sightseeing and there’s nobody available to take a picture of me and my family by a landmark we use the selfie mode.

I don’t have social media at all anymore, so I don’t do the traditional selfies I’ve seen around that are kind of self-made headshots promoting the person’a social media posts.

So the way I take selfies, I wish the camera were more wide angle like Samsung’s. But the Apple one is more flattering with less barrel distortion for good social media pictures.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
It seems most people who are concerned to the point of indignation with this are men...who seem to not take selfies anyway and know about this new “beautygate” by word of mouth.

So Apple is targeting the people who actually do take selfies. And from what I’ve seen most of these people use some crazy filters that don’t even leave them looking fully human. :eek: What Apple’s software is doing must seem pretty conservative to them.

I take selfies in the sense that when I’m sightseeing and there’s nobody available to take a picture of me and my family by a landmark we use the selfie mode.

I don’t have social media at all anymore, so I don’t do the traditional selfies I’ve seen around that are kind of self-made headshots promoting the person’a social media posts.

So the way I take selfies, I wish the camera were more wide angle like Samsung’s. But the Apple one is more flattering with less barrel distortion for good social media pictures.

Exactly. I would think that the only people who would care about or even notice this would be the same people who would appreciate having their selfies look better. I wouldn’t have noticed it if it weren’t for Unbox Therapy. I just don’t take a lot of selfies (although the front facing camera serves as a convenient makeshift mirror to check for food in my teeth after lunch).

I agree with you that it would be nice to have a wider angle lense, because on the rare occasion that I do take a selfie, there are usually other people in it. Usually me and my wife, or the kids, or friends. I don’t use social media so I don’t have a lot of reasons to take pictures of myself by myself.

simplynando

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
I noticed this effect, too. It's not really intense like a Galaxy phone, but enough to notice. It's not so bad, it actually works out nicely in most situations and they still look pretty great. But, I would also like the option to have it take sharp unfiltered pictures as well. I would really like a toggle to be able to switch back to a regular picture when needed (akin to the Galaxy implementation).

Dexterama

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
New England
A lot of Asian countries deem whiter skin to be more "Beautiful"

I can attest to this beauty standard growing up in an Asian community in the U.S. during the 90s to early 2000s. I’m not sure if it’s still prevalent in certain pockets of the U.S., but during my childhood, a few of my other fellow Asians (adults & kids) were quite condescending of my brown skin. I view them as my kin, but they thought less of me. To them, being a brown Asian means I only have one occupation: a rice farmer. There’s no shame in it, it’s an honest job, but they didn’t view it that way.

I’m not surprised it’s still a beauty standard in Asia. It needs to change.

Reactions: Mactendo

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
This guy's videos are all click bait
He actually shows you how it works. You can put your hand in front of your face and you can see the smoothing applied to your hand until the camera's face detection kicks in. Not clickbait if he does a good job on explaining how their face tuning is garbage.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
He actually shows you how it works. You can put your hand in front of your face and you can see the smoothing applied to your hand until the camera's face detection kicks in. Not clickbait if he does a good job on explaining how their face tuning is garbage.
No, the video is garbage. He has no idea what’s actually going on.

This is an actual explanation of the noise reduction/smoothing (and no, it’s not limited to faces):
https://blog.halide.cam/iphone-xs-why-its-a-whole-new-camera-ddf9780d714c

Reactions: Gathomblipoob
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.