Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
I’m facing the same dilemma. I like the bigger screen/battery, but as other have mentioned it’s a bit unwieldy to use one handed(and I’m a 6’ man). It can be done, just feels a bit awkward.

I have to say- the one thing that bothers me is they keep making the phones thicker/heavier. This years pro/pro max line is ~6%/8% heavier than the xs/xs max.

Keep in mind, the Xs/Xs Max was already made heavier/thicker than the models before it, so we continue to move in the wrong direction for thinness/weight.

I know somebody who uses a 6s plus still, and the difference in weight and feel is significant, and now we are going up by another 8% for the max size? Just don’t love it so now I’m pondering if I should sacrifice the screen size to keep the weight down.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I'm tempted by the 11 Pro Max. But the trade in is silly for Xs Max ($600).

Think I'll just chill as was the plan.

Kingofclouds

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Went to XS Max because I wanted dual physical nano sims (picked up the Hong Kong/China version) and the 5.8 XS didn’t offer this. Now I understand you can get this feature on the 5.8 Pro so likely I’m going that way due to weight if nothing else! The XS Max is heavy, the Pro Max is even more...

Reactions: yaboid01

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
I’ve only desired the larger sizes. I didn’t move to Apple until they were finally made available.

6 Plus -> 8 Plus -> XS Max -> 11 Pro Max

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
I wouldn’t say the iPhone 11 Pro Max design is the same as that of the iPhone 6.

It feels exactly the same in the hand. I’m not referring to the small changes year in year out. I’m talking about the shape of the phone.

I want to have that feeling of what the 4 was to the 3GS.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Hey everyone, that time of the year again!

I currently have an iPhone XS Max and am planning on upgrading, and I wanted to see how many people are actually going back or to the 5.8-inch model this year. I don't have the biggest hands in the world but I was always able to make the XS Max work one-handed, but in owning an iPhone X prior, I'm sort of realizing how much I missed the pocket friendly size and usability.

Does anyone who has a iPhone XS Max think about going to 5.8-inch model this year? Or are you sticking with the bigger iPhone 11 model?

I’m going down to the 11 pro 5.8” model. I want the one handed usage back and I also no longer watch most content on my phone. I went old school for watching content. A TV. Lol

jinnyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2011
Lincolnshire, IL
I’m not upgrading. The price and look of camera are not really bothering me. But I was looking for several addtional features that I’d really appreciate. They are the followings:
-1TB or 2TB option (must)
-USB-C with USB3.1.speed or similar (must)
-under the screen finger print sensor (maybe)

But the new pro offers nothing of above.
Perhaps a next year.

Reactions: JoePa2624

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Getting the Pro Max, I prefer larger. Fits better in the hand and for watching movies/video.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I am on the fence I am on the upgrade programme and have an XS max and have found it a little bulky, I have had it almost since launch but honestly most of that time I have used an android phone and now have the smaller Note 10 which is terrific and also IMO in a sweet spot size wise. This is my worry, I’d upgrade to the smaller 11 pro but whilst I had the original X and it was nice in the hand I did find the screen small especially as on an iPhone you lose a lot of useable space at the bottom these days on the other hand I already know the XS max is bulky and that the 11 pro max looks to be stepping this up a little with some extra weight so I am not sure I would go that route again even if every time I use my max in a controlled environment I love it!

If I was not on the upgrade programme I would definitely not be upgrading, mind you if I was not on the programme I probably would have sold the XS max months ago. It won’t cost me any more a month so I am leaning towards the smaller pro in green but am still undecided.

fish09276

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
I’m in wait and see mode. There are times where I hate the size of my max and times when I love it so I’m still up in the air right now.

im leaning toward downsizing though.
Me too. Sometimes I switch my SIM to my SE to carry in my pocket. But screen too small. Then I try my iphone 7. Just right but battery sucks. So I end up going back to Max for reading and easier typing. But feels like an anchor in my nylon shorts.
[doublepost=1568297467][/doublepost]
I’m facing the same dilemma. I like the bigger screen/battery, but as other have mentioned it’s a bit unwieldy to use one handed(and I’m a 6’ man). It can be done, just feels a bit awkward.

I have to say- the one thing that bothers me is they keep making the phones thicker/heavier. This years pro/pro max line is ~6%/8% heavier than the xs/xs max.

Keep in mind, the Xs/Xs Max was already made heavier/thicker than the models before it, so we continue to move in the wrong direction for thinness/weight.

I know somebody who uses a 6s plus still, and the difference in weight and feel is significant, and now we are going up by another 8% for the max size? Just don’t love it so now I’m pondering if I should sacrifice the screen size to keep the weight down.
Agree. But a better, longer lasting battery means more weight. I love the feel and weight of the iphone 7, but battery life is famously crap.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Me too. Sometimes I switch my SIM to my SE to carry in my pocket. But screen too small. Then I try my iphone 7. Just right but battery sucks. So I end up going back to Max for reading and easier typing. But feels like an anchor in my nylon shorts.
[doublepost=1568297467][/doublepost]
Agree. But a better, longer lasting battery means more weight. I love the feel and weight of the iphone 7, but battery life is famously crap.

Yes, they are clearly choosing function over form here for years now, but I think they are going too far now. Take a look at some of these weights-

6 plus- 6.07 ounces
6s plus- 6.77 ounces
7plus- 6.63 ounces
8 plus- 7.13 ounces
XS Max- 7.34 ounces
Pro Plus- 7.97 ounces

So from the 6plus to the pro plus the phone has gotten ~30% heavier. That’s a crazy number. Just from last year that’s a 8.5% increase in weight. I wonder how many people are realizing this. I understand that battery increase is nice, but at what cost? I think there needs to be a better balance. While some people may want to sacrifice size for battery, some won’t including myself. The feel of a phone at 6-7 ounces is very different than a phone at almost 8 ounces.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
Yes, they are clearly choosing function over form here for years now, but I think they are going too far now. Take a look at some of these weights-

6 plus- 6.07 ounces
6s plus- 6.77 ounces
7plus- 6.63 ounces
8 plus- 7.13 ounces
XS Max- 7.34 ounces
Pro Plus- 7.97 ounces

So from the 6plus to the pro plus the phone has gotten ~30% heavier. That’s a crazy number. Just from last year that’s a 8.5% increase in weight. I wonder how many people are realizing this. I understand that battery increase is nice, but at what cost? I think there needs to be a better balance. While some people may want to sacrifice size for battery, some won’t including myself. The feel of a phone at 6-7 ounces is very different than a phone at almost 8 ounces.

Apple could easily take the weight down by going back to aluminum casing all around (no more steel rim and glass back). Would that be preferable?

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Apple could easily take the weight down by going back to aluminum casing all around (no more steel rim and glass back). Would that be preferable?

I’m not an engineer so don’t know the right answer(although I believe glass is needed for wireless charging technology at the moment) but they had glass last year and still went up 8.5% in weight. Could be a combo of the new frosted glass + bigger battery, but at the end of the day the phones are getting too heavy now. They are advertising the battery as a key feature, but they conveniently leave out it comes at a cost of more weight for the same size screen.

Reactions: stevieraveon

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
6 plus- 6.07 ounces
6s plus- 6.77 ounces
7plus- 6.63 ounces
8 plus- 7.13 ounces
XS Max- 7.34 ounces
Pro Plus- 7.97 ounces

Well, to be fair, the standard iPhone 11 is a much more direct successor to the 6-8 Plus phones, and at 6.84 grams it weighs accordingly. If you're looking for something more akin to the older plus phones, you still have that option in the standard 11.

With the Max/Pro phones, it's clear that high end features and battery life will take precedent over weight savings.

Reactions: pdxa4

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Well, to be fair, the standard iPhone 11 is a much more direct successor to the 6-8 Plus phones, and at 6.84 grams it weighs accordingly. If you're looking for something more akin to the older plus phones, you still have that option in the standard 11.

With the Max/Pro phones, it's clear that high end features and battery life will take precedent over weight savings.

Understood, but when the XS Max already had a very good battery life, is it really necessary to add almost 10% of weight to make it even better? While I’m sure some people will say yes, others will say no. Bottom line is- is it really a “feature” if you are doing it by adding weight? You don’t think every company could increase their battery time by bulking the phones up? Same reason why some people are willing to use those battery cases and others would never. I’ll gladly take a lighter phone in hand that’s easier to use, and deal w the charging as necessary.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
Understood, but when the XS Max already had a very good battery life, is it really necessary to add almost 10% of weight to make it even better? While I’m sure some people will say yes, others will say no. Bottom line is- is it really a “feature” if you are doing it by adding weight? You don’t think every company could increase their battery time by bulking the phones up? Same reason why some people are willing to use those battery cases and others would never. I’ll gladly take a lighter phone in hand that’s easier to use, and deal w the charging as necessary.

Yeah, I get it. I can only speak for myself in saying that I don't mind the extra weight as much as I mind the extra size. Jamming a huge battery in enables me to go back to the 5.8" while getting better battery life than my Max, so it works out for me...but I agree the Pro Max is heavy.

Reactions: yaboid01

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I'm definitely upgrading....I'm always upgrading. I go back and forth between the larger and smaller every year. I love the physical size of the of the 11 Pro but I love the screen size and battery of the Max. Every time I have moved to smaller I always regret it.

levels

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
Yeah, I get it. I can only speak for myself in saying that I don't mind the extra weight as much as I mind the extra size. Jamming a huge battery in enables me to go back to the 5.8" while getting better battery life than my Max, so it works out for me...but I agree the Pro Max is heavy.

This is what I will probably do as well- since there is no actual spec differences for Pro vs Pro plus except battery and screen size, ill try out the pro. As you mentioned, the added battery now gives you the ability to use the smaller phone yet get battery comparable to the old max size which was more than fine for me. So if battery isn’t a concern, I think I prefer the easier one handed use and better pocket feel vs bigger screen.

Reactions: KRG

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania
I’m honestly on the fence. I’ve had every “plus” phone, but got the X when it came out. I was taken back by the size, but i loved it. Got the XS Max last year, and I generally liked it, but I can’t help but think the 5.8” would be perfect. I went to the Apple store today to see the smaller device and I remembered why I liked it again.

Reactions: yaboid01 and levels
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.