Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danilko1

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2010
My family begged me to downsize... Ever since the X/Xs/Pro has had camera parity with the Max, I went with the smaller size.

If this year the Max had the better camera, then I would go for the Max. But as it is, camera parity... It's the Pro for me.

Reactions: THE JUICEMAN

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Going from XS to the Pro Max, really want some good screen estate to browse the web.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I told myself I was going to skip this year, but the camera improvements, especially low light performance, have me wanting to upgrade. So from XS Max to Pro Max.
I also have poorer cellular signal with my XS Max then I have with any previous iPhone, which is very annoying.

Although next year may be a bigger upgrade, especially with 5G on the horizon, I think I'll end up upgrading my handset though, and skip next year. I've learnt from the cellular issues of the XS Max not to be an early adopter. Hence I will skip next year and let them settle and refine 5G before I upgrade again...

Well that's what Im telling myself at the moment.....!

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I wish I could try out a XS/11 Pro model for a few weeks. I love my XS Max, but I do often wish I had something that was more ergonomic and manageable one-handed. However, I did move from the 6+ to the iPhone 7 once. I loved it at first but then after about 6 months, I really regretted it. I got so tired of the small screen and smaller battery. So, I sold it and got a 7+. The plus size phones seem to be what I keep the longest and what I prefer, but I often do think about what the smaller model would be like.

I don’t think I’ll try it out though because I’m honestly just tired of wasting money on phones and there’s too much risk that I’d end up wanting the Max/Plus size back.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
The greater number of pixels on the Pro Max makes reading easier than with the regular Pro. I'm 6-5 and have big hands and really don't find even the Pro size usable one-handed. I've learned to deal with the size of the Max and will stay with that this year.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I wish I could try out a XS/11 Pro model for a few weeks. I love my XS Max, but I do often wish I had something that was more ergonomic and manageable one-handed. However, I did move from the 6+ to the iPhone 7 once. I loved it at first but then after about 6 months, I really regretted it. I got so tired of the small screen and smaller battery. So, I sold it and got a 7+. The plus size phones seem to be what I keep the longest and what I prefer, but I often do think about what the smaller model would be like.

I don’t think I’ll try it out though because I’m honestly just tired of wasting money on phones and there’s too much risk that I’d end up wanting the Max/Plus size back.

I went 7 Plus > X > XS > Max Pro... Every time I browsed the web this year with the XS I thought to myself... "Should have gone with Max"... Same when watching new trailers or some TV show on the go.

I don't carry my iPad Pro everywhere so it's a nice change to move to the Max... Plus now I can finally type without putting.like.this

Not only is the 11 max heavier as others have said but it is also slightly taller, wider and thicker than the XS max. Minor but an increase in every dimension.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...,Apple-iPhone-XS-Max/phones/11179,11190,10767

Yeah again forcing the two hand use even more so....

Bootleg Gucci

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2013
NoVA
If I can sell my XS Max 256 gold for around $875 or higher, I would upgrade to a 11 Pro Max. So far, only have 1 offer for $800 cash.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
have the MAX upgrading for SURE to the PRO Max, love the green love the three camera bumps! very unique, bold, powerful... did I mention battery?

ab2c4

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
Apple could easily take the weight down by going back to aluminum casing all around (no more steel rim and glass back). Would that be preferable?
That would be great if they did that. It would make the phones lighter in weight and more durable (never a fan of glass on the back of phones that is just too easy to break).

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
I think there is a risk that neither are the right size. I always have an iDevice and a droid that I switch between and the standard note 10 that I am currently using is in a real sweet spot size wise IMO.

The XS max is a unit to manage (albeit the screen is great to look at) but as I said before the 11 pro max is bigger and heavier which is not something I want, so I have gone for the standard 11 pro this year but am worried it will feel small. I guess I will get 14 days to change my mind.

neil74

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2017
Have to admit, already missing the Max display and not sure I made the right move. Gonna give it a week. I do love the one handed ease of use though.

I know what you mean I think that is always the compromise. I had the same thing with the Note 10 and 10 plus.

I guess we cannot have our cake and eat it.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I was wrong y’all. Got my 11 pro mini yesterday and it was way too small. I mainly had issues when typing two handed. So I went and confused about 10 different Apple employees today (they were out of “t mobile” iPhone upgrade phones so I had to get an unlocked one and then put it on iUP) and swapped it out for the max. Love it.

mpshah27

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2016
I was wrong y’all. Got my 11 pro mini yesterday and it was way too small. I mainly had issues when typing two handed. So I went and confused about 10 different Apple employees today (they were out of “t mobile” iPhone upgrade phones so I had to get an unlocked one and then put it on iUP) and swapped it out for the max. Love it.

I hear you! Once you go Max it’s hard to go back.

Teach4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2013
I went with an 11 Pro Max and got my sister one because her screen on her 6 was delaminating. She has not opened hers up yet. They both came yesterday. I immediately opened mine and have been using it ever since. (And totally loving it.)

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I’m so on the fence. I have an XS (well technically I also have an 11 Pro but the screen is bad so I’ll be returning it on Monday). Now I’m not sure whether to do a straight swap for a new Pro or to go to the Pro Max.

I’d like the benefits of the bigger screen but have been worried ever since Apple started doing the Plus/Max sizes about the bigger physical size. I just began to wonder in the last week though whether going from a 5.8" to a 6.5" device might actually be less of a problem for me than for many people, not because I have big hands but because I have very small hands! My thinking is that my hands are sufficiently small that I already have to do quite a lot of stuff two-handed on my 5.8" XS so would it really be such a big leap for me to go to a Max vs someone who can effectively use a 5.8" model one-handed?

I'm now most worried about pocketability and weight. Maybe a few of us do crazy things around this time of year but I think I'm crazier than most at the moment. My regular phone that I'm carrying around with me right now in my pocket is my XS - with a 6s stuck onto the back of it! I'm trying to simulate what it's like to carry much more weight around with me in my front pocket. Results so far are quite encouraging, honestly I don't find even that crazy weight a particular problem (177g + 143g = 320g for my Xs/6s monster vs 226g for an 11 Pro Max). I haven't simulated the extra physical size yet but I'm off to a party tonight so I think I might ask to borrow a friend's Galaxy Note for the evening, not to use it but just to keep it in my pocket for a few hours to see how that size feels when walking around, sitting down etc. That's probably a reasonably close approximation to the size of a Pro Max.

Maybe I'm going overboard trying to talk myself into the Max but I'm also wondering whether the extra width and height of a Max vs my 5.8" might even be a benefit. I always keep my phone in my front-right trouser pocket and with my Xs and all earlier phones even though I put them into my pocket upright (i.e. parallel with my leg) they then tend to tip over sideways so that they're at a diagonal angle or sometimes even sitting in my pocket almost perpendicular to my leg. Perhaps the bigger size of a Max will make it tip over in my pocket less than smaller phones do.

All in all I think I'm leaning towards going to the Max, partly for the big screen but probably even more to get the maximum battery life that I can from an iPhone. Also, there is a 14 day return and if I don't try I'll never know so maybe this year is the year to take the Max size out for a spin.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I am upgrading a Max this year. With a Pro Max. After using 6.5 inch display for a while now. I can’t use a smaller phone. Maybe if the 6.1 ever came out as an OLED. I would do that. But it just feels jarring now for me to try a smaller display.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
Orange County, CA
I’m so on the fence. I have an XS (well technically I also have an 11 Pro but the screen is bad so I’ll be returning it on Monday). Now I’m not sure whether to do a straight swap for a new Pro or to go to the Pro Max.

I’d like the benefits of the bigger screen but have been worried ever since Apple started doing the Plus/Max sizes about the bigger physical size. I just began to wonder in the last week though whether going from a 5.8" to a 6.5" device might actually be less of a problem for me than for many people, not because I have big hands but because I have very small hands! My thinking is that my hands are sufficiently small that I already have to do quite a lot of stuff two-handed on my 5.8" XS so would it really be such a big leap for me to go to a Max vs someone who can effectively use a 5.8" model one-handed?

I'm now most worried about pocketability and weight. Maybe a few of us do crazy things around this time of year but I think I'm crazier than most at the moment. My regular phone that I'm carrying around with me right now in my pocket is my XS - with a 6s stuck onto the back of it! I'm trying to simulate what it's like to carry much more weight around with me in my front pocket. Results so far are quite encouraging, honestly I don't find even that crazy weight a particular problem (177g + 143g = 320g for my Xs/6s monster vs 226g for an 11 Pro Max). I haven't simulated the extra physical size yet but I'm off to a party tonight so I think I might ask to borrow a friend's Galaxy Note for the evening, not to use it but just to keep it in my pocket for a few hours to see how that size feels when walking around, sitting down etc. That's probably a reasonably close approximation to the size of a Pro Max.

Maybe I'm going overboard trying to talk myself into the Max but I'm also wondering whether the extra width and height of a Max vs my 5.8" might even be a benefit. I always keep my phone in my front-right trouser pocket and with my Xs and all earlier phones even though I put them into my pocket upright (i.e. parallel with my leg) they then tend to tip over sideways so that they're at a diagonal angle or sometimes even sitting in my pocket almost perpendicular to my leg. Perhaps the bigger size of a Max will make it tip over in my pocket less than smaller phones do.

All in all I think I'm leaning towards going to the Max, partly for the big screen but probably even more to get the maximum battery life that I can from an iPhone. Also, there is a 14 day return and if I don't try I'll never know so maybe this year is the year to take the Max size out for a spin.

I wouldn’t worry about pocketability. I had the XS Max for a year and it was fine in my pocket. The weight never bothered me. It was one handed texted that I missed. But like you, I’m thinking it’s worth that tradeoff to have the larger screen.

Reactions: JulianL

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
I wouldn’t worry about pocketability. I had the XS Max for a year and it was fine in my pocket. The weight never bothered me. It was one handed texted that I missed. But like you, I’m thinking it’s worth that tradeoff to have the larger screen.
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know.

Texting definitely isn't an issue for me. I've been a two-handed "peck at the keyboard" guy for ages - I don't think my accuracy and coordination is up to anything more sophisticated and that's not going to change with a Max :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.