Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
Who use is iPhone XS (space gray) naked? Any images after maybe one year without case?? Some bad stories of dramatic damage?

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
I'm always tempted to do so with my X (especially given its age at this point). I never go more than a few hours before freaking out. The best compromise is using an Apple Silicone or Leather case. In regards to the overall condition, I have some friends who don't use a case on theirs (and are pretty careful with it) and it still manages to pick up a lot of scratches (space grey colors). I would imagine the silver / white colors wouldn't show as many surface scratches. But don't be fooled, they are there.

Reactions: jbachandouris

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Very nearly naked Xs here, use thin/protector skin all around the body to prevent scratches. So much more enjoyable to use it and pocket it without a case.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Very nearly naked Xs here, use thin/protector skin all around the body to prevent scratches. So much more enjoyable to use it and pocket it without a case.

That is awesome! Got any pictures? Is it grippy?
One of the things that I didn’t like about using my XS Max makes is that it felt like a soap bar wanting to pop out of my hand at any second, that is part of the reason I got the super grippy Apple Silicone Case.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
That is awesome! Got any pictures? Is it grippy?
One of the things that I didn’t like about using my XS Max makes is that it felt like a soap bar wanting to pop out of my hand at any second, that is part of the reason I got the super grippy Apple Silicone Case.
https://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-xs-skins
I use this product and have been using something similar since 3GS days, never had a case and always sold the phone in a scratch-free condition.

The skin is very grippy all around and never had to worry about dropping phone out of my hand, unless I being careless.

I will have to take pictures with my wife's phone and post it. I will do it this evening.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I use this product and have been using something similar since 3GS days, never had a case and always sold the phone in a scratch-free condition.

The skin is very grippy all around and never had to worry about dropping phone out of my hand, unless I being careless.

I will have to take pictures with my wife's phone and post it. I will do it this evening.

This is really cool, thanks! May give it a try

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
My problem is that if I see an iPhone with leather case I want to put back one of my two leather cases. If I see Red Silicone case I want to put back mine. If I see naked iPhone I want to go naked. Probably I was the problem 😂

Skin isn't naked but thank you :)

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I would only use it naked if I had a comprehensive insurance for it, protecting from all sorts of accidental damage. All modern iPhones are basically glass-metal-glass sandwiches, so simple laws of physics and gravity make them fragile. There are lots of YouTube fall tests for any iPhone model, ending up with different degrees of damage. The closest protective case close to naked I saw was this one, offered by my Instagram feed. Looks decent, but I have never heard of them before:

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Who use is iPhone XS (space gray) naked? Any images after maybe one year without case?? Some bad stories of dramatic damage?

I used to have no case on my 5s and 6s but since the phones got bigger (and also have glass backs) a case is a must have.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
It mostly is made of glass.
I wouldn’t do that, even if I’m very careful about my iDevices.
[automerge]1576933318[/automerge]

Those skins are good to avoid scratches, but add zero protection against occasionally drops.
I don’t really care about micro-scratches, but a damaged back glass by a trivial drop from the chair could definitely ruins my day.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My problem is that if I see an iPhone with leather case I want to put back one of my two leather cases. If I see Red Silicone case I want to put back mine. If I see naked iPhone I want to go naked. Probably I was the problem 😂

Skin isn't naked but thank you :)
LOL I used to be the same way,....what am I saying used to be? I am the same way. Though lately I have been trying to fight the urge and just keeping the leather case on my 11 Pro.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
My problem is that if I see an iPhone with leather case I want to put back one of my two leather cases. If I see Red Silicone case I want to put back mine. If I see naked iPhone I want to go naked. Probably I was the problem ?

In these days, spending too much time at home and having too much free time, my drama is worst than ever. Naked iPhone? Apple Leather case, Product Red or Forest Green? Apple Silicone case Product Red?? Naked again??

Reactions: hewastl286

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Lmao I'm the same way OP but I've boiled it down to this:

I used to use all my iPhones with no cases up until the iPhone 6 Plus era. On the 6 Plus I went with no case because why not and it was Apple's first big iPhone so a case would make it seem even bigger and I wanted to keep the no case trend going.

At the end of the 6 Plus' life, it looked pretty worn and I'm a very careful person. The fact that the phone is bigger made it easier for it to hit stuff or bump into things or fall since it's much heavier than say the 5S iPhones. I regretting not going with a case or glass protector because the front screen had tons of micro scratches and medium and some harder scratches. In most lighting it looked like crap.

So now I've got an Apple leather case and a Zagg glass screen protector. I still get a crystal clear screen with zero scratches and the leather case feels premium because it's real leather and not plastic. If I'm chillin' on my bed watching TV and using my phone I take the case off.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
When I got my phone, I used it for two weeks with no case, I had to wait for it to come from the U.K.. only dropped it twice.. well.. it fell off my bed, and it fell out of my pocket when I was cleaning the litter box. Now that it’s in a case I’m being a total pussie about taking it out. After I post this I am going to take it out again and see if I can make it till the morning. It’s a big phone as it is, but feels twice as heavy with the case. On second thought maybe not. Dammit. They should use bullet proof glass.. dam slackers in r and d.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
I never understood all of this nonsensical thing that manufacturers and customers do. First manufacturers make phone frames out of soft aluminum with thin ass coating that scratches or dents easily and then they slap glass panels on front and back that shatter guaranteed if dropped on textured concrete like parking lot and similar. Consumer response to that is not punishing manufacturers for doing such thing, instead their response is going crazy how premium the build is and then they slap the cheapest rubber condom on it to "protect the premium" from easily inflicted damage. That makes zero sense. You are paying for something you are not even experiencing.

The only way to build phones is to use advanced plastic composites for everything including screen (it would get scratched easier compared to glass but it will not shatter and friction coatings last longer on plastic). But mention plastic unibody to consumers and they get gag effect even though plastics of today can mimic metal on touch and look and behave millions of times better than cheap cases everyone is using.

For the record I never put a case on my phone, sure the first scratch and ding hurts a little cause it comes so soon but after that you get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.