Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK
https://www.bestskinsever.com/iphone-xs-skins
I use this product and have been using something similar since 3GS days, never had a case and always sold the phone in a scratch-free condition.

The skin is very grippy all around and never had to worry about dropping phone out of my hand, unless I being careless.

I will have to take pictures with my wife's phone and post it. I will do it this evening.

...them skins are trash if you ask me.

They may protect the phone, but, due to the skins 'grippy' rubbery textured, the second you put into your pockets, the edges just end up covered in lint, and the whole thing then just looks horrible.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I use case and screen protector so I can maximize resale value when the next iPhone comes out, it’s the only way I can justify getting a new phone each year.

Reactions: Dino F

Beyonder88

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
Even with a case on it will scratch as bits of debris can get in.

maybe Apple needs to work with Nokia aka artillery shells...

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Lmao I'm the same way OP but I've boiled it down to this:

I used to use all my iPhones with no cases up until the iPhone 6 Plus era. On the 6 Plus I went with no case because why not and it was Apple's first big iPhone so a case would make it seem even bigger and I wanted to keep the no case trend going.

At the end of the 6 Plus' life, it looked pretty worn and I'm a very careful person. The fact that the phone is bigger made it easier for it to hit stuff or bump into things or fall since it's much heavier than say the 5S iPhones. I regretting not going with a case or glass protector because the front screen had tons of micro scratches and medium and some harder scratches. In most lighting it looked like crap.

So now I've got an Apple leather case and a Zagg glass screen protector. I still get a crystal clear screen with zero scratches and the leather case feels premium because it's real leather and not plastic. If I'm chillin' on my bed watching TV and using my phone I take the case off.

On the original Apple leather case, the buttons were leather, I miss that.

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Who use is iPhone XS (space gray) naked? Any images after maybe one year without case?? Some bad stories of dramatic damage?
I used a XS SG for quite a while, not quite a year case less but majority of the time I had it without a case and it held up very well actually. No scratches on the frame or the back and only minimal tiny scratches on the screen but that was due to drop onto a coffee table. It held up very well especially the stainless steel band.

stanza.richi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 5, 2019
Italy
I used a XS SG for quite a while, not quite a year case less but majority of the time I had it without a case and it held up very well actually. No scratches on the frame or the back and only minimal tiny scratches on the screen but that was due to drop onto a coffee table. It held up very well especially the stainless steel band.

With or without some kind of screen protector (plastic film or tempered glass)?

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2019
My problem is that if I see an iPhone with leather case I want to put back one of my two leather cases. If I see Red Silicone case I want to put back mine. If I see naked iPhone I want to go naked. Probably I was the problem 😂

Same here... when i see leather, i also want the leather case... when i see the silicon i want the silicon.. so i switch the case nearly every day...

Reactions: stanza.richi

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I dont use mine in a case. But since my apple care expires soon I will replace the screen for 30 bucks and put on a screen protector.
Or I might just do monthly apple care plans.

Reactions: stanza.richi

uknation87

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Very nearly naked Xs here, use thin/protector skin all around the body to prevent scratches. So much more enjoyable to use it and pocket it without a case.

I'm the same way. I have the XS Max and use a "D-brand skin" on the back and a normal screen protector on the front. No case of any kind and after nearly 2 years, it's held up very well.

Last edited:

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Who use is iPhone XS (space gray) naked? Any images after maybe one year without case?? Some bad stories of dramatic damage?

I use mine With no case. Only use a case on work phones not my personal phones.
have dropped about ten times on hard concrete with minimal to no damage until last week, fell out of my bag and shattered. Got a replacement through ApppleCare, and dropped it today and chipped it. doh. Still going to use it sans case though, I hate the bulk. And no case is easier to clean.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
I've got an Apple leather case on my Gold Xs. I've used it inside my house without a case... for a few hours at most. I love these phones and, atheistically the design (like all iPhone designs) cries out to be used naked...

That said, unlike the older phones (I used my 5s naked for years, as well as my 6s at times), the whole phone being glass just makes it way too risky. I can be a bit clumsy and my leather case is beat to ****... I can't tell you how many of those battle scars probably would've equaled a broken phone but I'm pretty sure my AppleCare Plus would be used up by this point :/

Reactions: internetrando
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.