Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Currently, I have the iPhone SE (first generation) and yes, its running iOS 13.4 which indicates that Apple is still supporting this model.

Just ordered the iPhone XS and now I am waiting for it. I had considered other iPhones below, but went ahead to get the XS for the below reasons. Financial reasons also come into a factor as well.

The XR, is way too big (6.1 inches)...

The XS is a reasonable size, since I had a Galaxy S10e as well which was also 5.8 inches and felt comfortable in my hand and in my pocket.

The SE is too small, and having the first generation of the SE which is even smaller, its about time to get a bigger iPhone.

The iPhone 11 Pro is the same size as the XS, but its too expensive for my budget...

Here is the question, since I went with the XS, how long do you think Apple will stop supporting it or stop updating it?
The great thing about Apple, is that they have a long life cycle support for their phones as opposed to Samsung.

If my SE is still supported which I bought back in 2016, then I assume the XS should be supported for the time being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsepz

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
5 years at least.

Apple just released A10-based iPad 10.2 and A12-based iPad Air 3 and mini 5 last year. This bodes well for the A12-based XS.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I'd say 5 to 6 years is not a problem for the XS especially since it has 4gb of ram. My X will be 3 years old in December and it performs extremely well. I could easily use it for another 2-3 years with a battery replacement. My backup phone is a 2015 6S and it has been a wonderful phone for 5 years and all I've had to do is replace the battery when Apple offered $29 replacements.. All iPhones with the A9 or newer chipset have/will age very well.

Reactions: HYPOKON2000

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
5 to 6 years from original release date, so another 3 years or so from here on if you are buying now.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s just strange to me that somebody would be concerned with ‘how long will the XS’ would receive support for, being that it literally was released last year. The obvious answer is that we would see at least four years at minimum, but the initial concern for iOS support that far in advance seems unnecessary. I’m Not being negative, I just don’t understand why somebody would be concerned about iOS support for that many years in advance.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
My XS max is still running like a champ not even a hint of lag or stutter.

The XS series should be able to get another 4-5 years of iOS updates easily.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
If you after 4-5 years won’t get latest ios, is it any problem to use with older ios ?

Last edited:
Reactions: zipster

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Another 3 and a bit years since it same out fall 2018 a safe prediction would be fall 2023.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
It’s just strange to me that somebody would be concerned with ‘how long will the XS’ would receive support for, being that it literally was released last year. The obvious answer is that we would see at least four years at minimum, but the initial concern for iOS support that far in advance seems unnecessary. I’m Not being negative, I just don’t understand why somebody would be concerned about iOS support for that many years in advance.
XR/XS/XS Max with A12 was 2018.

Last year was 11/11 Pro with A13.

Reactions: George Dawes

zipster

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2011
Especially when they're using the original SE that was released 4 years ago and is still supported.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Currently, I have the iPhone SE (first generation) and yes, its running iOS 13.4 which indicates that Apple is still supporting this model.

Just ordered the iPhone XS and now I am waiting for it. I had considered other iPhones below, but went ahead to get the XS for the below reasons. Financial reasons also come into a factor as well.

The XS is a reasonable size, since I had a Galaxy S10e as well which was also 5.8 inches and felt comfortable in my hand and in my pocket.

The SE is too small, and having the first generation of the SE which is even smaller, its about time to get a bigger iPhone.

The iPhone 11 Pro is the same size as the XS, but its too expensive for my budget...

Here is the question, since I went with the XS, how long do you think Apple will stop supporting it or stop updating it?
The great thing about Apple, is that they have a long life cycle support for their phones as opposed to Samsung.

If my SE is still supported which I bought back in 2016, then I assume the XS should be supported for the time being.

You have chosen the tech-savvy gentleman's phone, the class of the field, and you won't regret it. ?

Reactions: tt061282

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
Unless you got an extremely good deal on the Xs because it's discontinued. The price difference between the Xs and 11 pro is negligible in my opinion. The pro has better battery, camera, screen, and will potentially get a longer support. But hey like I said if you got a really good deal on the Xs then sure. But it would have had to have been a really really good deal.

Last edited:

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Unless you got an extremely good deal on the xs because it's discontinued. The price difference between the xs and 11 pro is negligible in my opinion. The pro has better battery, camera, screen, and will potentially get a longer support. But hey like I said if you got a really good deal on the xs then sure. But it would have had to have been a really really good deal.
Depends on where you live. Here in the UK you can pick up a brand new XS for 629£ at some places, same price as the 629£ for the XR, or 1049£ for the 11 pro. Don't know the situation elsewhere but its a real huge difference here. Could still make the argument for the 11 pro due to the chip/battery/camera of course.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Unless you got an extremely good deal on the xs because it's discontinued. The price difference between the xs and 11 pro is negligible in my opinion. The pro has better battery, camera, screen, and will potentially get a longer support. But hey like I said if you got a really good deal on the xs then sure. But it would have had to have been a really really good deal.
I've occasionally seen the XS brand new, unlocked SIM-free at Best Buy for $699. I believe it's the same price on Apple Certified Refurb. $300 less or same price as iPhone 11, I think that's a pretty good deal.

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Here's my take OP, I know folks still using older 4S and even 5C models. Even though the latest IOS version isn't supported on those phones, it doesn't mean the phones are unusable. There just may be some newer features that wouldn't be available if the current operating system isn't supported. So with that being said, expect 4-5 years of compatibility with the latest IOS version like said by others above. So to me the "how long will my iPhone be supported" question everyone always asks, isn't really anything to worry about.

Reactions: tranceking26

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
5 to 6 years from original release date, so another 3 years or so from here on if you are buying now.

This.

But the XS already has very poor battery life. And each iOS version will make it much worse.

Realistically I would recommend you should upgrade again in 2021/2022 worst case scenario. And you might need to get your battery swapped at least once in the middle.
[automerge]1588882876[/automerge]

In India you can sometimes find the XS for like USD 650-800 or so. Whereas the 11 Pro starts around USD 1500+. You can even get the XS 512 GB for like 1000 bucks without a sale or XS Max 64 GB for like USD 900 or so without a sale. And there are no sales on the 11 Pro.

11 series starts close to around USD 900+ for 64 GB. Not the Pro.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
Depends on where you live. Here in the UK you can pick up a brand new XS for 629£ at some places, same price as the 629£ for the XR, or 1049£ for the 11 pro. Don't know the situation elsewhere but its a real huge difference here. Could still make the argument for the 11 pro due to the chip/battery/camera of course.

£629 was what I paid, from Amazon UK. Didn’t even consider £400 more for the 11 Pro.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I got an unlocked 256GB XS used for $600 last year, battery at 98%, still under the factory warranty until July. Not a bad deal given that it would have been $1150 for a 256GB 11 Pro :)

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
Most places in the US sell the 256gb XS for the same price ($699) as the they are selling the 64gb version. I’d take a 256gb XS for $700 over a 64gb iPhone 11 Pro for $999

iphonefreak450

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Still have the SE first generation running 13.4 and no issues. Performance seems fine.

Should be getting the XS soon.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The iPhone 6s is still supported and it’s over 5 years old. So it will be supported for at least r to 5 years.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

The XS will be supported for a very long time, probably until 2024 at the very least, the A12 is still an absolute beast of a SoC, you’ll be fine.

The only thing you should worry about is Battery, you may need to replace it 2 years in, but that’s it, you’ll be good.

Reactions: rui no onna

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I've occasionally seen the XS brand new, unlocked SIM-free at Best Buy for $699. I believe it's the same price on Apple Certified Refurb. $300 less or same price as iPhone 11, I think that's a pretty good deal.
Like I said before if the person got a really good deal I guess its ok. But at normal price the Xs isn't That far off the 11 pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.