Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Is battery that bad it will be a problem in future?

I have had the XS Max for 18 months and the battery life is horrible. I have to carry my Anker portable battery to charge at least twice a day while out at work and on my way home. My battery life is at 93% right now and I’m definitely upgrading to the 12 Pro Max. I would keep my XS Max longer but the battery life sucks.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
I have had the XS Max for 18 months and the battery life is horrible. I have to carry my Anker portable battery to charge at least twice a day while out at work and on my way home. My battery life is at 93% right now and I’m definitely upgrading to the 12 Pro Max. I would keep my XS Max longer but the battery life sucks.
Has it always been that bad or is that something new? In other words, I'm surprised that @ 93% you're having those issues.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
The battery life on XS Max isn’t that bad. I can get 12-14 hours SOT. I paid 648 usd last February and battery health is still at 100%.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
It’s been this way for the last 6 months.
Hmm, my wife has a XS Max and battery was around 95% last I checked and she's still about the same performance as when it was new. I know you're pretty tech savvy, but have you done all the steps, force restart, factory reset, etc? And again, just asking out of sheer curiosity.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
A rule of thumb is that Apple supports the iPhone for 5
Years from the date of issue not from when you bought it

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Hmm, my wife has a XS Max and battery was around 95% last I checked and she's still about the same performance as when it was new. I know you're pretty tech savvy, but have you done all the steps, force restart, factory reset, etc? And again, just asking out of sheer curiosity.

I’ve done everything I could possibly do and even downloaded all of my apps one by one thinking it was a rogue app but I’m charging my phone twice a day. I take it off the charger at 7am at 100%. By 1pm I’m at 20% and I do is listen to my music on Apple Music from 8am-12:30pm before I make a few phone calls. I charge it to 100% for an hour and continue listening to my music. By 6pm I’m at 30% so I have to charge on my way home.

• Sad
Reactions: DevinNj

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
Um, huh? I'm sure I can speak for others, could you please elaborate on this?

It's not likely that he can. I think we all know that batteries last longer than that. It was either a typo on his part, or another one of his loony posts - there are a lot of them with that guy. ;)

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Even if Apple let me pay to have the battery changed out, I don’t even want to pay to have my battery changed out, I’m just going to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max.
Yeah absolutely, at this point it’s definitely not worth it. I’m just surprised that you had issues with your Max this soon. The battery health isn’t awful. I still have an original iPhone SE 32GB, and the battery life isn’t much worse than when I first got it.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yeah absolutely, at this point it’s definitely not worth it. I’m just surprised that you had issues with your Max this soon. The battery health isn’t awful. I still have an original iPhone SE 32GB, and the battery life isn’t much worse than when I first got it.

The first year the battery life was fantastic. I didn’t have any issues. Right when the pandemic started is when I started having issues with the battery. Some days I feel like my XS Max have to stay plugged into my Anker portable charger. If the new iPhones were not coming out this year, then I would pay to have the battery changed.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
The first year the battery life was fantastic. I didn’t have any issues. Right when the pandemic started is when I started having issues with the battery. Some days I feel like my XS Max have to stay plugged into my Anker portable charger. If the new iPhones were not coming out this year, then I would pay to have the battery changed.

If you like everything else about the XS Max, isn't it worth a battery? Unless there's something must-have about the 12 Pro Max, and recognising that a new phone is always good to have.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
If you like everything else about the XS Max, isn't it worth a battery? Unless there's something must-have about the 12 Pro Max, and recognising that a new phone is always good to have.

There are many things I like about the rumors I’ve been hearing about the 12 Pro Max. I also didn’t want to waste any more money having the battery replaced in the XS Max. I would rather that money go towards a new Apple Watch if I were to upgrade that as well.I’ve been ready to upgrade since September 2019, but I held back and decided to wait until the 12 Pro Max launches this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.