Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
I think the next major upgrade to the iPod should have Bluetooth built in, for people like me; who hates wires!!!;)ie: Bluetooth headphones and Remote.

Feel free to post any other suggestions!

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Slow???

It works on a 2.4Ghz spectrum, so there shouldn’t be a speed issue of transferring data from the headphones to the iPod!! Unless I am missing something?:confused:

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
So, unless you wear D-batteries for earrings, where are the headphones going to get their power?

Also, the iPod's battery life has been crippled by a CLOCK, what do you think a constant stream of broadcasting is gonna do?

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Hm...

Actually an interesting idea. I agree with Nipsy that powering the headphones could be a problem, but it should cost the iPod no more power than regular headphones. As a matter of fact, this is possible right now if you use an iRock (or other brand of RF broadcaster) and a headphone radio. It's not elegant, and probably not at all what xrhajj has in mind, but it eliminates the wires.

Not sure about Bluetooth implementation, though.

Chris

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by Nipsy
So, unless you wear D-batteries for earrings, where are the headphones going to get their power?

Also, the iPod's battery life has been crippled by a CLOCK, what do you think a constant stream of broadcasting is gonna do?

The same way the Bluetooth Headset HBH-15 from sonyericsson is powered;)

What "clock" are you talking about?

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Re: Hm...

Originally posted by chmorley
As a matter of fact, this is possible right now if you use an iRock (or other brand of RF broadcaster) and a headphone radio. It's not elegant, and probably not at all what xrhajj has in mind, but it eliminates the wires.

Not sure about Bluetooth implementation, though.

Chris

I have tried the iRock and it sucks, besides I can't use it while I'm jogging!!;)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by xrhajj

The same way the Bluetooth Headset HBH-15 from sonyericsson is powered;)

What "clock" are you talking about?

The HBH-15 weighs in at 32grams. say 25 without the boom. Figure the weight of 25 pennines "clipped" to each ear. Don't know how that would sit with me. Also, having used VERY good wireless headphones in the past, I'm not impressed (the silly Apple earbuds sound as good).

The clock I'm referring to is part of iPod firmware 1.2. The clock seems to shave a noticable (~10-15%) percentage of battery time (I don't know firsthand, as my 20GB came with 1.2), and has been widely discussed on the Apple forums. Using the alarms feature apparently shaves off over 30%!

I can verify that I get nowhere near 10 hours of iPod use per charge.

swexplorer

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2002
Croydon, South London
Slow???

It works on a 2.4Ghz spectrum, so there shouldn’t be a speed issue of transferring data from the headphones to the iPod!! Unless I am missing something?:confused:

read at:

http://www.dlink.com/products/usb/dwb120m/

D-Link Bluetooth USB Adapter for Macintosh Computers

The D-Link DWB-120M is a Bluetooth USB adapter for Macintosh Computers. It provides Macintosh users with low-power, wireless Personal Area Network connectivity to devices like PDA’s, printers, cellular phones, computers and other emerging electronic devices.

The DWB-120M adheres to Bluetooth 1.1 standards and supports wireless data transfers of 723Kbps at ranges up to 33 feet. It is compact and portable making it ideal for Macintosh iBook and PowerBook users, but also connects easily to your Apple Pro Keyboards integrated USB port.

The D-Link DWB-120M’s Plug-and-Play installation makes installation on your Macintosh computer simple and easy. With Bluetooth software provided by Apple at http://www.apple.com and easy to understand installation instructions, the D-Link DWB-120M allows you to experience true wireless connectivity and enhanced compatibility with Bluetooth enabled devices.

723 Kbps is the speed....

and it is in the same spectrum of WiFI or 802.11 so there are still bit of issues about spectrum interference... ;-)

Giorgio

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
So, how would this proposal handle stereo?

Two transmitters, and two receivers?

One transmitter, and a 'wire' over the crown of the head?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by Nipsy

anyone got the ericsson bluetooth headset? where do they get their power?

kidinapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
it's like ur ordinary cell phone you charge it and it works for abt 3 hours! :)
Also comes with a car charger :)
Dont have it but some friends do have it for the T68/68i! :)

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
Re: Re: Hm...

I have tried the iRock and it sucks, besides I can't use it while I'm jogging!!;)
Yeah, I have an iRock and it doesn't work well unless it is pretty close to the antenna. Still, this shouldn't be an issue for the 3 or so feet between your pocket and your head.

And yeah, it would be a pain in the ass to wear while jogging.

However, I'm also not convinced that the quality of Bluetooth streaming audio would be any better than iRock.

I don't know. I hope I'm wrong.

Chris

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by swexplorer

read at:

http://www.dlink.com/products/usb/dwb120m/

D-Link Bluetooth USB Adapter for Macintosh Computers

The D-Link DWB-120M is a Bluetooth USB adapter for Macintosh Computers. It provides Macintosh users with low-power, wireless Personal Area Network connectivity to devices like PDA’s, printers, cellular phones, computers and other emerging electronic devices.

The DWB-120M adheres to Bluetooth 1.1 standards and supports wireless data transfers of 723Kbps at ranges up to 33 feet. It is compact and portable making it ideal for Macintosh iBook and PowerBook users, but also connects easily to your Apple Pro Keyboards integrated USB port.

The D-Link DWB-120M’s Plug-and-Play installation makes installation on your Macintosh computer simple and easy. With Bluetooth software provided by Apple at http://www.apple.com and easy to understand installation instructions, the D-Link DWB-120M allows you to experience true wireless connectivity and enhanced compatibility with Bluetooth enabled devices.

723 Kbps is the speed....

and it is in the same spectrum of WiFI or 802.11 so there are still bit of issues about spectrum interference... ;-)

Giorgio

I think you missed the point.....;) the D-link is USB and the iPod is Firewire, so this device will not work with the iPod; and besides, who wants that ugly adapter mounted on the top of there iPod;)

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
yeah...if built into the iPod...bluetooth would be cool for syncing your calender, vCards, time & date..for file transfer I will have to keep firewire though....

and it'd be nice that the same bluetooth could work with radio signals for your car.....that's what needs to be done, Hey! even syncing your cars clock with your Mac through the iPod!

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002

I think you missed the point.....;) the D-link is USB and the iPod is Firewire, so this device will not work with the iPod; and besides, who wants that ugly adapter mounted on the top of there iPod;)

I think you missed the point xrhajj. The bluetooth would not be for transferring files but for using wireless headphones so you could have the ipod running in a bag and have the headphones on your head, WITH NO WIRES.

Yes, this technology is still "new" so to speak, but if you would go and actually take a look at some of the bluetooth headsets that are coming out you would see they are very nice and very compact and light - check out nokia's new earpiece or motorolas. THe SonyEricsson HBH-15 is now the old model, the HBH-30 is smaller and lighter. All these are only for cell use, SonyEricsson also makes a stereo bluetooth set that has a matchbook sized clip which holds the battery and transceiver along with two wired earbud headphones so you can leave the iPod in your bag and only have to deal with a small lapel clip to adjust volume. Several other companies are coming out with similar as well as actual headphones. The power consumed by one of these is very little as it is mostly receiving (as anyone who knows radio signals will tell you, receivers can even have the batteries taken off of them and still have enough residual power left in the circuits to pick up the signal, be it not for very long) this means the batteries needed are getting smaller and smaller. You simply recharge when you get home. The "point" to all of this is you can walk around without trailing a 6 foot wire behind you.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
holy CoW! Apple could come out with a car radio, where you could save all your favorite (preset) stations on your iPod, bring it into your house and sync your home theatre band to the same...the files would basically be a 4K file and would just easily transmit over bluetooth technology.

and you'd always have a backup of your favorite stations...sweet!

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by makkystyle

I think you missed the point xrhajj. The bluetooth would not be for transferring files but for using wireless headphones so you could have the ipod running in a bag and have the headphones on your head, WITH NO WIRES.

The "point" to all of this is you can walk around without trailing a 6 foot wire behind you.

Duh!!....Ummmmm...... This is the reason why I started the thread, so I could have an iPod, remote, and Headsets WITHOUT WIRES!!

Go to the first post and read it!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by kidinapple
it's like ur ordinary cell phone you charge it and it works for abt 3 hours! :)
Also comes with a car charger :)
Dont have it but some friends do have it for the T68/68i! :)

some say it's heavy. do you know that for a fact? is it comfortable?

*tryintoimaginehavingthatonmyear*

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
I didn't notice the user id of the thread starter xrhajj. I mistakenly got the idea from your d-link and ipod attachment statement that you wanted to transmit files with BT. I've been waiting to listen without wires for sometime now:) that's why I bought a T68:D sorry

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by makkystyle
I didn't notice the user id of the thread starter xrhajj. I mistakenly got the idea from your d-link and ipod attachment statement that you wanted to transmit files with BT. I've been waiting to listen without wires for sometime now:) that's why I bought a T68:D sorry

I understand.... No problem!!;)

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
I ahvea HBH-15 from Ericsson, I use it with my T39, it's works very nicely, so if I have to fill up the car, I can still be talking to someone while pumping the gas. Anyhow, it's works nice, and no, it's not heavy at all. It get it's power from a little stand that you plug in, battery lasts a good 4-6 hours at least. It's a very good device, and I'd be overjoyed if the iPod came with Bluetooth (wait, no I wouldn't, because then I won't be able to use it wih MY iPod!! :D )

Rajj

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 29, 2002
32° 44' N 117° 10' W
Originally posted by shadowfax0
I ahvea HBH-15 from Ericsson, I use it with my T39, it's works very nicely, so if I have to fill up the car, I can still be talking to someone while pumping the gas. Anyhow, it's works nice, and no, it's not heavy at all. It get it's power from a little stand that you plug in, battery lasts a good 4-6 hours at least. It's a very good device, and I'd be overjoyed if the iPod came with Bluetooth (wait, no I wouldn't, because then I won't be able to use it wih MY iPod!! :D )

Uhhhh....I hope you know that you shouldn't be using your mobile phone while pumping gas....because the pump could explode!!!

Here in Vegas, we have signs next to the pumps!!!

Just to let ya know.;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i'd like to see bluetooth implimentation in ipods (and i think we will) for the reason of file transfering and syncing, as people have said... i think it would be cool if you brought your ipod in your pocket to a friend's house and their stereo could access the music on it, or your car stereo, etc etc. i don't give a rip about headphones. anyone that can't handle tiny earbuds connected through tiny wires to a tiny device should just get speakers. then you don't have to worry about anything! total range of movement, and the ability to share the stream with other users.

;)
pnw

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001

Uhhhh....I hope you know that you shouldn't be using your mobile phone while pumping gas....because the pump could explode!!!

Here in Vegas, we have signs next to the pumps!!!

Just to let ya know.;)

Yeah, yeah...
Next, I suppose you're going to tell me I should put out my cigarette. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.