Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Well, a few weeks ago I noticed the screen's color was fading off and on, and I figured it was probably that the contacts from the hard drive adapter touching the screen's contacts, so today I opened up the iPod again (and scraped my finger, in the process, those pry tools are sharp!) and sure enough, the contacts were touching. I taped a small piece of cardboard in between the hard drive adapter jumper and the iPod's screen (I think at least), so we'll see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Also, as an update, the battery seems to be getting at least 12 hours on a single charge. It's hard to get an exact estimate, but it's definitely great!

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Bought a iPod 3rd Generation 30GB with a broken HD and modded to 128GB using the same Compact Flash to 50-pin adapter. Also put a new battery in since the original one was from 2003.

Im in the process of upgrading a 4th gen non colour version with a compact flash card and also 7th gen 160gb thin version with a dual sd card using the iflash adapter cards.

When you did the 3rd generation ipod, what sd card did you use? Was it a micro sd card to sd card adapter to the compact flash adapter? Im interestd to see if the 4th gen non colour can do the same.

Thanks

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Im in the process of upgrading a 4th gen non colour version with a compact flash card and also 7th gen 160gb thin version with a dual sd card using the iflash adapter cards.

When you did the 3rd generation ipod, what sd card did you use? Was it a micro sd card to sd card adapter to the compact flash adapter? Im interestd to see if the 4th gen non colour can do the same.

Thanks
I used a micro-sd to sd card adapter that hooked up to the CF and it worked great. Just make sure you use the fastest one you can find in the capacity you want. I now have (Well have had for a long time now) a 32GB iPod Click Wheel and I'm going to upgrade it again this Friday to a 128Gb

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
I used a micro-sd to sd card adapter that hooked up to the CF and it worked great. Just make sure you use the fastest one you can find in the capacity you want. I now have (Well have had for a long time now) a 32GB iPod Click Wheel and I'm going to upgrade it again this Friday to a 128Gb

What is a good card to use? What about a sandisk ultra 128gb micro sd card comes with the sd card adapter. amazon selling at a really good price at the moment?

At the moment ive just got a komputerbay 32gb compact flash to try out.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Just the fastest one you can afford for the capacity you want, I just ordered a Patriot LX card in 128GB because it was on sale. I didnt use a micro sd card because I just wanted one less adapter than what im using.

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Just the fastest one you can afford for the capacity you want, I just ordered a Patriot LX card in 128GB because it was on sale. I didnt use a micro sd card because I just wanted one less adapter than what im using.

Let me know how you get on with that, im interested to see if it works. I have seen loads of posts saying not all sd cards work

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Let me know how you get on with that, im interested to see if it works. I have seen loads of posts saying not all sd cards work
As far as i'm aware you need to make sure of 3 things if you want to make sure it works:
Your SD Card is a Class 10/UHS1 card (in my experiance)
Your compact flash is compatible with sdxc and IDE mode
You have the 40/60GB Model

I could be wrong but these have made me successful in all of my upgrades

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
As far as i'm aware you need to make sure of 3 things if you want to make sure it works:
Your SD Card is a Class 10/UHS1 card (in my experiance)
Your compact flash is compatible with sdxc and IDE mode
You have the 40/60GB Model

I could be wrong but these have made me successful in all of my upgrades

Ive just done a quad iflash on my 7th gen using the 200gb sandisk micro sd cards, it works great!

Ive now gone and purchased a iflash ide to iflash adapter, iflash cf card and a iflash cf to sd converter.
Hopefully i can get this to work better than what i bought off amazon for my 4th gen one. In the end i ended up sending what i bought from amazon back for a refund.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Ive just done a quad iflash on my 7th gen using the 200gb sandisk micro sd cards, it works great!

Ive now gone and purchased a iflash ide to iflash adapter, iflash cf card and a iflash cf to sd converter.
Hopefully i can get this to work better than what i bought off amazon for my 4th gen one. In the end i ended up sending what i bought from amazon back for a refund.
My CF to IDE adapter, SD to CF, and my 128gb SD card is working great so far in my 4th gen iPod. Now I have a 5h gen i found in my closet to fix up, I have a spare 32gb card to throw in there

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
My CF to IDE adapter, SD to CF, and my 128gb SD card is working great so far in my 4th gen iPod. Now I have a 5h gen i found in my closet to fix up, I have a spare 32gb card to throw in there

Im having major issues with my 4th gen, i get to the restore part, it downloads the restore software and then I get a message that says error 1437 cannot restore. This is with the iflash to cf adapter using a micro sd card to sd card, then the sd to cf adapter. I have also tried the cf memory card i have both memory cards get the same error.

Do you know what this 1437 error means?

Both cards are FAT32, MBR

trying to sync using windows 10
micro sd card is a sandisk extreme pro 64gb
cf card is a komputerbay professional 32gb 266x
iflash to cf
iflash sd card to cf adapter

Last edited:

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Im having major issues with my 4th gen, i get to the restore part, it downloads the restore software and then I get a message that says error 1437 cannot restore. This is with the iflash to cf adapter using a micro sd card to sd card, then the sd to cf adapter. I have also tried the cf memory card i have both memory cards get the same error.

Do you know what this 1437 error means?

Both cards are FAT32, MBR

trying to sync using windows 10
micro sd card is a sandisk extreme pro 64gb
cf card is a komputerbay professional 32gb 266x
iflash to cf
iflash sd card to cf adapter
Do you own a spare USB Cable? Also are you on a Mac or PC?

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Im also getting lots of errors saying the usb cannot be recognised, i was thinking the logic board is messed up. Initially was getting a apple logo on the screen then went to an icon of a battery that is completely flat, looks like a battery with a zig zag on it.

I left it plugged in and then the restore part came up on itunes.

Is this normal for the ipod to operate like this? The battery has a completely full charge but shows this screen with a flat battery on it. Its so weird.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
Sounds like a dead battery, but boot the iPod in disk mode and format the card to fat32, then restore it.

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Sounds like a dead battery, but boot the iPod in disk mode and format the card to fat32, then restore it.

I have tried that the ipod does not come up at all, the only time it has ever come up is in itunes with the restore button.

When im in disk mode nothing happens. It stay on the screen saying disk mode, the charging indicator stops moving and then it crashes.

I have to reset the ipod by pressing and holding the select and then menu button.

The time that i got it into restore on itunes i was not in disk mode

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
This is what normally happens,

Connect ipod to computer, it shows the apple logo, then a folder icon, then a flat battery, it stays on that screen for a while then it says do not disconnect.

Now sometimes it goes into the restore part on itunes.

If it doesnt, it will reset back to the apple logo and then go back through the same screens in a loop.

But disk mode does absolutely nothing, it seems to just make the ipod crash and i get messages saying cannot recognise the usb device.

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
This is what normally happens,

Connect ipod to computer, it shows the apple logo, then a folder icon, then a flat battery, it stays on that screen for a while then it says do not disconnect.

Now sometimes it goes into the restore part on itunes.

If it doesnt, it will reset back to the apple logo and then go back through the same screens in a loop.
Try restoring the iPod without a battery

TallOrder

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2015
Try restoring the iPod without a battery

nothing happens if i try and do it without battery connected.

I tested the battery with a multi meter and it is fully charged, also on the board where the battery attaches current is going through that part as well. so i guess this pod is dead

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.