Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fix1break2

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
I have a 20GB 4th gen and I've read that the firmware limits it to 32 or 64 GB. Is this true? is there away around it I would really like to put a 128 or 256 sd card in it

ohms12

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Scotland
Good read! I've been looking for a 2/3rd gen iPod to try this out with. If anyone has one going....holler!

Just the fastest one you can afford for the capacity you want, I just ordered a Patriot LX card in 128GB because it was on sale. I didnt use a micro sd card because I just wanted one less adapter than what im using.

I'm totally clueless about the different types and 'flavors' of these memory cards. Never had the need, until now. I''m modding my dead 20g 4th gen clickwheel iPod that has the grey-scale screen.
Why would you introduce an extra component into the chain, if you didn't have to? Adding the extra cost and increasing the number of things that could possibly fail etc.
What's the upside to adding the adapter needed to be able to use a micro sd card? Are they that much cheaper, faster, higher capacity? Reliability? Mixes a mean martini?
I keep reading different details like "make sure it's CR or AF type with a 1st gen toggle-bar. I'd advise you spend extra on a nice muffler-bearing, if you can afford yadda yadda." Then I'll forget where I read these extra details, because I got there by following links of links, from links that link...all sorts of links!

So far, I bought a new battery and a CF to 50 pin 1.8 IDE adapter. Couldn't I buy an SD card that plugs straight into my IDE adapter? Why would I buy a card that needs an adapter to fit my adapter?

I also have a budget with no budget. I can't afford to start buying crap from China in hopes something eventually works...

Any advise? :)

Orizence

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2014
I'm totally clueless about the different types and 'flavors' of these memory cards. Never had the need, until now. I''m modding my dead 20g 4th gen clickwheel iPod that has the grey-scale screen.
Why would you introduce an extra component into the chain, if you didn't have to? Adding the extra cost and increasing the number of things that could possibly fail etc.
What's the upside to adding the adapter needed to be able to use a micro sd card? Are they that much cheaper, faster, higher capacity? Reliability? Mixes a mean martini?
I keep reading different details like "make sure it's CR or AF type with a 1st gen toggle-bar. I'd advise you spend extra on a nice muffler-bearing, if you can afford yadda yadda." Then I'll forget where I read these extra details, because I got there by following links of links, from links that link...all sorts of links!

So far, I bought a new battery and a CF to 50 pin 1.8 IDE adapter. Couldn't I buy an SD card that plugs straight into my IDE adapter? Why would I buy a card that needs an adapter to fit my adapter?

I also have a budget with no budget. I can't afford to start buying crap from China in hopes something eventually works...

Any advise? :)
Im sorry was that MicroSD adapter question towards me? I said I didn't use one so I didn't have to use another adapter in the chain, I don't understand what you're getting at. If you can clarify Id love to help

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
This is a really cool project. It's been a long time since I used one, but I always loved the solid tactility of the iPod Classic interface.

Im sorry was that MicroSD adapter question towards me? I said I didn't use one so I didn't have to use another adapter in the chain, I don't understand what you're getting at. If you can clarify Id love to help

LOL! I'd like to clarify if I could, but I'm not sure what my point was...except for maybe I "drunk-replied' you on accident! Not the wisest choice to spend an evening reading as much as I could, on a subject with loads of pieces + parts I don't know a thing about...uh, getting drunk along the way didn't help with retention or comprehension etc.. lol

I'm gonna go do some beerless research right now, and see where it takes me. I'm dying to get my ipod up+running wtih one of these groovy mods!

Again, my apologies...Hopefully my next post will be a 'ipod working great, here's what I did' themed posting.

take it easy
MIke

edit- 8/31/17 My old 20gb 4th gen clickwheel is now a 64gb sd card conversion success! The instructions and advise found here worked perfectly! I was expecting a hiccup or two, but everything worked just fine on my first attempt. I found my original firewire power adapter and eventually quit procrastinating (I was sure it wouldn't work) and attempt what I'd been reading about for a year or so...and surprise-surprise...It worked great! Making me wish I hadn't put it off for so long. doh!
:)

Last edited:

Slix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I need to ask, I put a CF card in the iPod with no adapter, will that brick it if I put it in the wrong way?

(I have an iPod 4th gen greyscale.)
Nope, that should work just fine too.

master_jorn

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
A Show you've Never Heard of
Nope, that should work just fine too.
Oh, and a couple more things, my ipod will shift from the sad ipod with the apple support link, the explanation folder with the apple support link, and disk mode, And I have no idea whats going on, and need some assistance ass to what im doing. two, I cut off the plastic stub on the card slot, will that brick the ipod.

Thanks in advanced.

TChen

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
hi everybody...

i've been researching this for a while, and finally decided to take the plunge with my 4G iPod photo (40GB). i just did the mod with a KingSpec 64GB SSD, but for some reason Windows is only giving me the option to format it exFat32 for 37.2GB; oddly, the original capacity of the iPod.

does anyone know, is this a coincidence? the SSD is definitely marked as 64GB... why is it only showing a 37.2GB capacity? shows up that way on the iPod and iTunes as well.

any help would be appreciated! thanks!!

TChen

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
maybe i should have formatted the card before it was in the ipod? would that make a difference? i installed the SSD into the ipod and then formatted, and was only given the option to format it for 37.2GB exFat.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
In reply to both of you, try reformatting it after you connect the SD card in the iPod. On mine, I had to format it using Disk Utility on the Mac after connecting it, then it restarted and iTunes recognized it after that. And the extra stub that has to be cut off to fit the adapter is fine to remove, I did on mine. Good luck to both of you!

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
This is something I've been wanting to do to my 5.5 gen, I figure when I get around to doing it, I'll do the battery as well.

master_jorn

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2016
A Show you've Never Heard of
In reply to both of you, try reformatting it after you connect the SD card in the iPod. On mine, I had to format it using Disk Utility on the Mac after connecting it, then it restarted and iTunes recognized it after that. And the extra stub that has to be cut off to fit the adapter is fine to remove, I did on mine. Good luck to both of you!

Ok, thanks, I'll try to do that, I'll report back to tell if it worked or not. Thanks for all the help!

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Is it possible to get a 256GB SSD drive in an 80GB Classic?

Nope, that model is limited to 128gb.

• 5g and 5.5g (30gb, 60gb, and 80gb)
  • 6g Classic (80gb Thin) ** Maximum 128Gb for iTunes
  • 6.5g Classic (160gb Thick) ** Maximum 128Gb for iTunes
  • 7g (120gb Thin) ** Maximum 128Gb for iTunes
  • 7.5g (160gb Thin)

Last edited:

Naruz

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
EDIT: Nevermind, ZIF won't work.

What's maximum capacity 20GB Photo iPod will take?

Last edited:

piggel

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2016
Hey guys!
Have an Ipod classic 4th gen 40 gb, but hdd is no longer working. So i'm wondering - am i able to put CF card and connect to the ipod without any adapters and connectors? Ports are looking similar. will it work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.